Nor Cal/ West Coast Gathering Oct 14-16

Here is where to post any Gathering/Get-together information & pictures of your gathering thread! Be sure to add it to the calendar too.
Rfieldbuilds
Super Colemanaholic

Nor Cal/ West Coast Gathering Oct 14-16

Post by Rfieldbuilds »

Flyer has the basics. Respond here with more questions and we can get a discussion going.
Rangers confirmed campground will be open, though sometime in October the running water will be shut off so plan on dry camping. Pit toilets still open.
Actual lake elevation where camp is at is just under 7000’ elevation. Expect chilly nights. Pumpkin themed FOOD dishes encouraged. Leave your soy mocha brava pumpkin spice lattés at home ladies😂.
I believe charges are $15/night, payable onsite. Its a remote and little used campground. There will be plenty of open sites for tents or RVs/trailers.

Randy
QL #15, Slant Saver #59, #0269 Turd Hurdler, #0269 Mil Spec Syndicate, Coleman Blues 243 #0269, BernzOmatic Appreciation Club #072, Sears Traveler 2.0 Host #1, and a few others too.
Rfieldbuilds
Super Colemanaholic

Re: Nor Cal/ West Coast Gathering Oct 14-16

Post by Rfieldbuilds »

Little Mount Hoffman fire lookout is perhaps the best treat of the trip. UNR Astronomy Dept does a summer trip up here to watch stars. The Shasta views are amazing as is Glass Mountain obsidian flows. Fishing on the lake is usually good for the abundant trout. Overall a great alpine lake close to many other beautiful spots should you choose to adventure.
Ice caves, Lava Beds Monument, Goose Lake, Burney Falls. The list could go on and on.

http://www.californiasbestcamping.com/m ... icine.html

Randy
QL #15, Slant Saver #59, #0269 Turd Hurdler, #0269 Mil Spec Syndicate, Coleman Blues 243 #0269, BernzOmatic Appreciation Club #072, Sears Traveler 2.0 Host #1, and a few others too.
hikerduane
Super Colemanaholic

Post by hikerduane »

Thank you for the early morning email Randy. This should be easier to get to than the coast campout, at least for me.
Duane
Duane-All seasons, year round backpacker and camper.  So many stoves and lanterns, who's counting.
Rfieldbuilds
Super Colemanaholic

Post by Rfieldbuilds »

hikerduane wrote: Thu Sep 22, 2022 1:01 pm Thank you for the early morning email Randy. This should be easier to get to than the coast campout, at least for me.
Duane
Invite your Timber Cove girlfriend. 😉
Randy
hikerduane
Super Colemanaholic

Post by hikerduane »

You talked to her longer than I did, I'm not as hot as you.
Duane
Duane-All seasons, year round backpacker and camper.  So many stoves and lanterns, who's counting.
hikerduane
Super Colemanaholic

Post by hikerduane »

Per the redneck radio, trail crews have been out clearing the trail up to the LO, did not know there was an issue, maybe just neglected work, I don't think the recent Mill Fire reached there. 36F here this AM. I see a number of CG's at the lake.
Duane
Rfieldbuilds
Super Colemanaholic

Post by Rfieldbuilds »

The LO is available for rent and is fully booked for the season every year, so they much be clearing deadfall or widening the road a bit/clearing brush. The last day the LO is available for rent is the night of the 12th so our visit up there we should have it to ourselves.
There are actually 3 campgrounds on the lake totaling about 45 spots. We want to be on the water, or closest to it IMO. The other sites are more in the trees and not spectacular. I guess whoever arrives first can choose what would be a good area and those who follow can cluster around.
I’ve stayed up there twice, and enjoyed the heck out of it each time. Deer season in X zones is open so we may see an occasional hunter, other than that, I suspect the campground will be primarily uninhabited. I guess there may be an RV or two up there that late in the season.
Randy
Pancholoco1911
Super Colemanaholic

Post by Pancholoco1911 »

Who’s going with you Randy?
~Pancho~ :cf_howdyhat:

ICCC MEMBER #: 1993

Coleman Blues 243's #163.
FishNChips
Serious Colemanaholic

Post by FishNChips »

Our work schedule is already out but I will try some begging and pleading to try and get the time off🤞
Matt
California
hikerduane
Super Colemanaholic

Post by hikerduane »

Jeez, another trip, now I gotta think once again about what to bring. For weeks.
Played with my plumbers furnaces, preheat was too short one day and had a flame over 3' shooting out. Cool! :) No hair was lost.
Duane
outlawmws
Super Colemanaholic

Post by outlawmws »

Dang Randy, I may be up for a day trip from camp up to ML. I got drawn for X1 (roughly 5, 89, and 139 to Oregon), so I'll be hunting south of ML (Closer to 89, around Hambone area) from the 6th to maybe as late as the 14th. (depends on if I get a buck...)

If anyone is going early, let me know! Not sure how good Cell coverage is, (the Verizon maps claim mostly covered? but I'd wonder about the ML caldera, it is a big hole... (Been 5 years since we were last drawn for X1...)

Big and little Glass mountains are cool to visit, lots of obsidian and knapping sites there, and pumice boulders, (We have a pic of me holding a big one up, (Superman!)

That W/E will be the closing W/E for the 16 day deer season, so be careful outside of ML basin (No shooting allowed in the basin)

For those that know the McCloud area, Pilgrim Creek Road is closed from 89 to Esparanza, (just past Mud creek, a bit over 3 miles up from 89) (intense fire danger is the claim -this was swamped by the big mud creek slide almost ten years ago, so there may be a lot of dead trees? :cf_idontknow: If they get enough rain from now til then, that may slack that off?

I've been going up there for over 40 years, so if you have questions, feel free to ask!

Just before ML, just outside the basin to the right, on the way up are Bullseye and Blanch lakes, and 2 campgrounds. (may have hunters) I like that area for camping up high. We camped and hunted there the first year we hunted X1. These lakes used to have good fishing, not sure now...

On the way up to ML is the Jot Dean Ice Cave - it has a small parking area, and is worth the short walk and climb down inside the cave. When I first went up there it had a pool frozen solid in the bottom of the first grotto cave. During one of the big CA droughts it melted and opened the cave up much deeper. but I've not been down deeper and it's a bit of a crawl, and I don't know that the roof is stable deeper in. There is still ice in the cave, but side pockets rather than the frozen pool it used to have.

There is an stretch up higher on the way to ML that looks like another planet, lava flows and stunted trees, that look other worldly. The ML volcano is the largest shield volcano in mass in the continental US IIR? (Shasta being a cone volcano)

Down at 89, just south of it, is the McCloud river and 3 sets of falls, all worth visiting.

Up at ML, Snow is a definite possibility, so listen for the weather...

Coleman Blue's 243's #341 - 275 Appreciation Syndicate member 0242
FAS #001 Confusing Future Generations of Collectors, One Lantern at a Time!
KK No. 3 Appreciation Klub #1

Rfieldbuilds
Super Colemanaholic

Post by Rfieldbuilds »

Yep. All good spots it seems. Maybe we can explore Bullseye and Blanch for future outings. Ive not been there but did do a ice cave and hot springs trip with a buddy back in the 90’s so Jot Dean (sp?) was my first ever ice cave experience. Really neat, and a quick hustle down the trail right off the road. The diverse beauty of the area is always a sight. Ive had snow present on Little MT Hoffman and also across the lake in July/August, though I know that its all melted this year. As far as weather at the lake, its a crapshoot being Oct. could be 85, and could be 30 degrees. Lotsa firewood up there and no one to burn it so no matter the weather I expect we will be fine. Camp is always nicer with a fire burning.
REALLY looking forward to this nice alpine campout.
Randy
Rfieldbuilds
Super Colemanaholic

Post by Rfieldbuilds »

Somewhere I have some actual photographs from my first trip there. Id I find them I will post them up. I am intimidated though as they are in a 20 gallon rubbermade container full of pics. Its a LOT of memories in there.
Randy
hikerduane
Super Colemanaholic

Post by hikerduane »

I may get there Thursday afternoon, depends on weather, I can bring some pitch wood to get a fire going quicker. Had maybe an inch of rain earlier this week.
Duane
hikerduane
Super Colemanaholic

Post by hikerduane »

I wonder if they still collect fees into Oct.? Gold Lake up here covers the fee station then, but may differ now. Which CG you thinking of?
https://www.fs.usda.gov/recarea/modoc/r ... ecid=71280
Duane
Rfieldbuilds
Super Colemanaholic

Post by Rfieldbuilds »

I dont recall which one I liked the most, but do recall it being closer to the water than the others. Perhaps Fisn n Chips will chime in here with some local, and more recent insight.
All in all, its not a large or sprawling camp so we wont have any issues locating one another. Just thinking we should find the best site proximal to the water we can, that also lends itself to being relatively close together and easy to wander between camps like we usually do.
Randy
FishNChips
Serious Colemanaholic

Post by FishNChips »

Medicine Campground, AH Houge Campground and Hemlock are basically separate loops and all have spots on the water or close to it.

You can reserve some of the spots on Recreation.gov. Its been a long time since I was there but remember pay stations for first come first serve but that way pre-COVID.

Matt
California
MartyJ
Serious Colemanaholic

Post by MartyJ »

Hope h to o go. I have my fingers crossed. Lots of places I want to see. Did we decide on a campground?
Marty
MartyJ
Serious Colemanaholic

Post by MartyJ »

Hope to go. I have my fingers crossed. Lots of places I want to see. Did we decide on a campground?
Marty
hikerduane
Super Colemanaholic

Post by hikerduane »

Those pics look similar to geology in Thousand Lakes Wilderness and the Caribou Wilderness.
Duane
Rfieldbuilds
Super Colemanaholic

Post by Rfieldbuilds »

MartyJ wrote: Sat Sep 24, 2022 7:17 pm Hope to go. I have my fingers crossed. Lots of places I want to see. Did we decide on a campground?
Hope you can make it MartyJ. Looks like the usual suspects here, though Joe Hess of Oregon is likely coming down. I dont think youve met Joe yet. Good fellow.
No campground decision. They are all a stones throw apart. Any one we can “circle the wagons” at is good with me.
Randy
hikerduane
Super Colemanaholic

Post by hikerduane »

Mill Creek Resort close to Mineral and Lassen VNP, campsites look like a cross between boonie camping and a CG. $35 night, 4 people, 2 vehicles per night per site, some RV sites at $50. 20 minutes further than camping at Tehama Wildlife area.
https://www.millcreekresort.net/camping
Duane
Rfieldbuilds
Super Colemanaholic

Post by Rfieldbuilds »

hikerduane wrote: Tue Sep 27, 2022 10:14 pm Mill Creek Resort close to Mineral and Lassen VNP, campsites look like a cross between boonie camping and a CG. $35 night, 4 people, 2 vehicles per night per site, some RV sites at $50. 20 minutes further than camping at Tehama Wildlife area.
Duane
I hope I was not misinterpreted in that a campground was not selected. It is definitely Medicine lake. Of the three campgrounds on the lake, which are all a stones throw apart, we have not decided. I dont think we need to at this time; just show up and see what looks best. Hopefully we can get 5-6 sites relatively close to one another on the water. Thats all.

Duane I like your posted camp- they offer massages. Quite a luxury, but I could sure use a good one. Thats more my wife's speed and I may even be able to bait her to come camp with us, if she sees it is camping with benefits. Me, I prefer the obscure off grid sites rather than those tied to other people or fees. Oh well, Medicine lake will be nice, and hopefully nearly desolate.
Randy
hikerduane
Super Colemanaholic

Post by hikerduane »

Rfieldbuilds wrote: Wed Sep 28, 2022 12:00 am
hikerduane wrote: Tue Sep 27, 2022 10:14 pm Mill Creek Resort close to Mineral and Lassen VNP, campsites look like a cross between boonie camping and a CG. $35 night, 4 people, 2 vehicles per night per site, some RV sites at $50. 20 minutes further than camping at Tehama Wildlife area.
Duane
I hope I was not misinterpreted in that a campground was not selected. It is definitely Medicine lake. Of the three campgrounds on the lake, which are all a stones throw apart, we have not decided. I dont think we need to at this time; just show up and see what looks best. Hopefully we can get 5-6 sites relatively close to one another on the water. Thats all.

Duane I like your posted camp- they offer massages. Quite a luxury, but I could sure use a good one. Thats more my wife's speed and I may even be able to bait her to come camp with us, if she sees it is camping with benefits. Me, I prefer the obscure off grid sites rather than those tied to other people or fees. Oh well, Medicine lake will be nice, and hopefully nearly desolate.
I understood the other day, my head injury wasn't much of a handicap, just throwing this area out as a option or for someone looking for a different place.
Duane
FishNChips
Serious Colemanaholic

Post by FishNChips »

Unfortunately I can not get the time off. We are doing mandatory coverage due to staffing again so no extra days off for us. I am pretty disappointed 😔

I look forward to everyone’s pictures.
Matt
California
Rfieldbuilds
Super Colemanaholic

Post by Rfieldbuilds »

Ok Matt. That how it goes with this hobby. Work and life tends to obstruct us, or we would all probably be 100% immersed in our hobbies. How much fun would that be?? 😂😜😁😆😄

Well, Im sure you’ll stay busy and surprise us with some neat stuff on the next one. Looking forward to seeing the wax drip burl carved droopy pipe next time we catch up. If I squint my eyes just right, I can smell it burning. On another note, thanks for giving all of us a chance to catch a fish 🎣.
😜
Randy
FishNChips
Serious Colemanaholic

Post by FishNChips »

I expect to see Trout Tacos!!!! Lol

Matt
California
outlawmws
Super Colemanaholic

Post by outlawmws »

Venison tacos - it IS deer season up there!

Coleman Blue's 243's #341 - 275 Appreciation Syndicate member 0242
FAS #001 Confusing Future Generations of Collectors, One Lantern at a Time!
KK No. 3 Appreciation Klub #1