Spring Northern Appalachian Mountain Campout

Here is where to post any Gathering/Get-together information & pictures of your gathering thread! Be sure to add it to the calendar too.
brucesheehe
Super Colemanaholic
Title: ECCENTRIC BLOCKHEAD

Spring Northern Appalachian Mountain Campout

Post by brucesheehe »

I will be camping at Blue Knob State Park from May 15 to 22/2022 near Pavia PA. Join me if you want some Spring camping.

Nice campground with electric at every site (30 or 50 amp), but no sewer or water at the sites. Very nice shower/bathhouse. Dump station and good camp water available. Quiet and solitude is the general idea at this camp.

Nice cool mountain air - Blue Knob is the second highest mountain in PA (only 100' short of Mt. Davis). Blue Knob is an Eastern Spur from the continental divide of the Appalachian front. Beautiful mountain vistas.

Easy road access from I-80 to the North, PA Turnpike to the South, US Route 22, and I-99 North and South.

Lots of great hiking trails, star gazing in Chappell's field, trout fishing in Bob's Creek (stocked and native). Nice campground for tents or trailers. Average (not great) cell phone reception, but it does work. Spacious campsites with electric, picnic table, and fire ring. Wildlife abundant - deer, bear, bobcat, turkey, grouse, and many other birds. Fishing in nearby Beaverdam Reservoir (electric motors).

No alcohol in PA State Parks (just don't be flagrant about it). A great family campground with new children's playground facility. Rangers patrol park from the sister state park - Shawnee State Park. Firewood is available to purchase in the park - very reasonable.

A super Walmart is 20 minutes away, and smaller stores at the base of the mountain (hardware, pizza, supermarket. etc.)

This is an informal gathering, join me if you can. No T-shirts or coffee mugs - a trial run.

Area attractions, historic Bedford PA (Fort Bedford), Allegheny - Portage Railroad/PA Mainline Canal Museum, Johnstown Flood Memorial and Museum, Altoona Railroader's Museum, and Horseshoe Curve. Covered bridge tour in Bedford County. Antique shops galore. Lost Children of The Allegheny's Monument. The Lower Trail - rails to trails.

https://www.dcnr.pa.gov/StateParks/Find ... fault.aspx
Last edited by brucesheehe on Wed Feb 16, 2022 1:19 am, edited 9 times in total.
Bruce Sheehe, aka ECCENTRIC BLOCKHEAD
ICCC #889 - Connoisseur of Time, Friends, Leisure, & Coleman   Altoona, PA - The Mountain City - Near The Eastern USA Continental Divide
Mister_Wilson
Super Colemanaholic

Re: Spring Appalachian Mountain Campout

Post by Mister_Wilson »

Right now it looks like I’ll be in Texas at my daughter’s house that week, but if that falls through, who knows?
John
H.C. Lanterns dealer
Coleman 275 Appreciation Syndicate #2001 A Turd's Odyssey
Canadian Blues #028
Coleman Slant Saver #31
Looking for my 6-56 Birthday lantern, anything 6-56!
There's been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about.