Northern California Memorial Day Campout

Here is where to post any Gathering/Get-together information & pictures of your gathering thread! Be sure to add it to the calendar too.
Rfieldbuilds
Super Colemanaholic

Northern California Memorial Day Campout

Post by Rfieldbuilds »

Well, looks like we finally have a few souls willing for Memorial day campout.
Location Paynes Camp outside of Red Bluff California and south of town of Paynes Creek on hwy 36.
Memorial day weekend. 26-30th of May, or any portion thereof.

Room for trailers. Others who have been can chime in with more info on accessibility. I’d call this a 2 WD road, but would feel better in 4wd were I pulling a trailer.

Off grid, with no potable water so be prepared there. There is an old dilapidated outhouse at the campground next door. Otherwise, you are on your own to dig a hole, or pack it out.

I’d call this dog friendly as we are basically in BLM or USFS country. Wide open spaces.

Fishing on Antelope creek can be good. Check regs for details.

TomMag is checking access with the space as DFG has a gate they occasionally close. If for some reason gate is locked, we will camp just east of the turn off of Hogsback Road at Finley lake where we stayed last year.
I’ll add some more pics from last years camp at Finley in a later post.

Randy
QL #15, Slant Saver #59, #0269 Turd Hurdler, #0269 Mil Spec Syndicate, Coleman Blues 243 #0269, BernzOmatic Appreciation Club #072, Sears Traveler 2.0 Host #1, and a few others too.
Rfieldbuilds
Super Colemanaholic

Re: Northern California Memorial Day Campout

Post by Rfieldbuilds »

Randy
QL #15, Slant Saver #59, #0269 Turd Hurdler, #0269 Mil Spec Syndicate, Coleman Blues 243 #0269, BernzOmatic Appreciation Club #072, Sears Traveler 2.0 Host #1, and a few others too.
MartyJ
Serious Colemanaholic

Post by MartyJ »

I’ll be there. Just got a kitchen pass. Fascinating country with a lot of Wild West history. Especially early homesteads and logging. Wouldn’t mind thinning out some unfinished projects, anyone attending let me know what you are looking for and I will dig through the pile. With all my other junk, I don’t usually just bring trade stuff.
Marty
FishNChips
Serious Colemanaholic

Post by FishNChips »

Both are good spots, I spend a lot of time up there and have been all over that country metal detecting and exploring homesteads and indian caves.

For access to either location take Hogs Back Road. NOT High Trestle Road, unless you have high clearance and no trailer. Also access from Paynes Creek off of Hwy 36. Do not take Hogs Back Road from Red Bluff. They grade the road from Plum Creek Road to Ishi Road, much past there and its full 4x4. Fun road for the daring!

Finley Lake
Dropped pin
https://goo.gl/maps/LJ65p16XVAaA5Dzt9

Fisher Campground area
Dropped pin
https://goo.gl/maps/oYtoqGMcJYMYp33L7

Lots of history here, rock walls, stage stops, old cabins, flumes for the logging, and Indian sites. Hard but beautiful country.

Small trailers would be fine in either spots. I would not recommend very large motorhomes or trailers, although I have seen toy boxes and taken a 25’ trailer in there several times myself without issue.
Matt
California
FishNChips
Serious Colemanaholic

Post by FishNChips »

Matt
California
TomMag

Post by TomMag »

I will be there….
Antalope creek is barbless, artifical only….have to ck on limit or no limit.
I’ve got very good maps to get there, not difficult, but some roads are better than others.
tjm030@aol.com is my email if you have questions/need maps/etc

Tom Magliulo
hikerduane
Super Colemanaholic

Post by hikerduane »

I''ll see if I can find the place.
Duane
Duane-All seasons, year round backpacker and camper.  So many stoves and lanterns, who's counting.
MartyJ
Serious Colemanaholic

Post by MartyJ »

Duane, the creek is just down the road from our last spot at Finley. You keep going on the main road and hit a Y and take the left on down the hill. Nice spot with a lot of room.
Marty
hikerduane
Super Colemanaholic

Post by hikerduane »

Ah, I see the arrows now and "turn" .
Duane
Duane-All seasons, year round backpacker and camper.  So many stoves and lanterns, who's counting.
Taco912

Post by Taco912 »

Sorry to miss this, other plans for Memorial weekend. Next time.

Dixon
Coleman 243 Blues  #812
hikerduane
Super Colemanaholic

Post by hikerduane »

Need to make some room if any interest. PM me or I will leave these at home.
For sale, or free at this:
P-W #4--repair to tank hanger, can only pump tank when in place or the repair leaks again---cheap
426NL-I have a 418, don't know why I picked this up
425E-has issues starting w/o a torch--free
MSR Firefly, fired once, original cardboard box, original ws, yeller pump, stuff sack, nice
Ratty mica chimneys, 220 and 242? sizes, one bare cage too----free
Agm 6206, bottom seam soldered, needs one teensie spot resoldered. Again.
416C, home made wooden case, neat set up, Marty would love the box
200A--$20, not perfect paint, paid $15 w/o a globe, added a globe
AA lamp with new asbestos wick if any interest, dents of course, $125
FishNChips
Serious Colemanaholic

Post by FishNChips »

Duane PM sent. Is the lamp a Coleman AA lamp? I would be interested in an earlier Coleman lamp, earliest I have are the CQs. I would definitely be interested in some ratty mica chimneys in the 220 and 242 size. Also interested in the AGM speedy cook, I would be willing to repair that. Also the #4, lol

I am excited to pick up some new projects.
Matt
California
hikerduane
Super Colemanaholic

Post by hikerduane »

Replied to PM for 6206, #4, chimneys, AA lamp. I have a 242 burner of some flavor that Outlaw wanted.
Forgot, I also have a nice, caseless AGM 523 that was given me, so free or fuel or? Tank and stickers are perfect or near so, spindle tips may need attention, looked unused when I got home with it, leaks if left pressurized.
Thank you,
Duane
MartyJ
Serious Colemanaholic

Post by MartyJ »

Alright, Duane, you have me intrigued. Bring the 416C, I have to see the case now! You know I’m a sucker for homemade. Anything you are looking for?
Marty
Rfieldbuilds
Super Colemanaholic

Post by Rfieldbuilds »

Interested in old mica chimneys, and any extra 200 sized glass. Older the better oddball lanterns and lamps.
Randy
hikerduane
Super Colemanaholic

Post by hikerduane »

Marty, would pay DEARLY if I could find a Primus 96 from 1918(H) and a clear "B".
The 416C is lidless, designed for a oven.
Duane
FishNChips
Serious Colemanaholic

Post by FishNChips »

Randy is Linus coming? Hopefully so.

I will go through my stuff but don’t have a lot of cool trade stuff. I have a Tilly R1 fount/heater dish, Primus 2220 lantern, 425E, a few glass kero wick lamps, lots of common 220s for parts, and a 200A if anyone is interested. I prefer trading!
Matt
California
Rfieldbuilds
Super Colemanaholic

Post by Rfieldbuilds »

FishNChips wrote: Tue May 10, 2022 1:01 am Randy is Linus coming? Hopefully so.

I will go through my stuff but don’t have a lot of cool trade stuff. I have a Tilly R1 fount/heater dish, Primus 2220 lantern, 425E, a few glass kero wick lamps, lots of common 220s for parts, and a 200A if anyone is interested. I prefer trading!
I hope so!!!
Randy
MartyJ
Serious Colemanaholic

Post by MartyJ »

hikerduane wrote: Mon May 09, 2022 11:57 pm Marty, would pay DEARLY if I could find a Primus 96 from 1918(H) and a clear "B".
The 416C is lidless, designed for a oven.
Duane
Duane if I had a 1918 Primus 96 B or H, I would give it to you just so you could complete your collection but alas, I only have two common ones, one of which you gave me.
Marty
Charlie

Post by Charlie »

Sounds like it's going to be a great trip, wish I could make it but the wife and I have a prior engagement.
Charlie
Charlie
ICCC #1121
Rfieldbuilds
Super Colemanaholic

Post by Rfieldbuilds »

Randy
hikerduane
Super Colemanaholic

Post by hikerduane »

Also, if any attendees need a NRV or those parts for one, that Swedish/Euro stoves use, I have a parts order coming in from the UK and recently won a large batch of used NRV's that need rebuilding, let me know. Parts take 2 to 3 weeks to receive usually. Looking forward to losing a few stoves to make room for that Turner 1211 and I'm sure some neat future stove. Can give away the 425E this summer at a yard sale a neighbor has every year, she has a free pile. My AGM 523 is pretty nice for free as it was given me. May bring some vintage "goosed" lamp burners if any interest and a large handfull of spanners.
Duane
johneliot
Colemanaholic

Re: Northern California Memorial Day CampoutDfi

Post by johneliot »

Finally something close. I’d really like to make this one but I’ll be in Santa Cruz that week. It’s hard to pass up Kayaks on Elk Horn Slew. I do have some more stuff to get rid of. Next one!
John
Chico, CA

“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.” 
― Albert Einstein
FishNChips
Serious Colemanaholic

Post by FishNChips »

Johneliot have a good trip. I kayak fish too and have fished several tournaments at shelter cove. Have a great time!

I am excited to meet more members at this. I made Finley Lake last year but did not have the bug then. MartyJ is to blame.

Nice flyer Randy!!!!
Matt
California
FishNChips
Serious Colemanaholic

Post by FishNChips »

Down to two weeks!!!

I am making a pile of potential trade stuff. I can hardly wait!!!!

MartyJ and I are planning some good camp meals to play with our building stove collection!!!

Looking forward to seeing some old friends and meeting some new ones!
Matt
California
hikerduane
Super Colemanaholic

Post by hikerduane »

Thinking might bring one of my Hurlock's and a hanging mica lamp shade to sell if any interest. I don't like the swivel knob on the pump for the Hurlock and the shade needs rivets but no holes in it for the lamp collector with parchment shades. The Hurlock has the tin in fair shape and parts tin with parts too, kero.
Gotta think about what to bring, my blue Optimus stoves in the three sizes and maybe my rare Turner 1211 stove to all cook with, some 200A, 242 and 243 lines to show off. Dang Randy wouldn't sell me a 243 when we camped at Plumas Eureka SP so I found some nice ones.
Duane
FishNChips
Serious Colemanaholic

Post by FishNChips »

Duane, is the mica a good size to fit the AA lamp? I may get that from you if so. I wouldn’t mind something with a different look.

I have never heard of a Hurlock? My knowledge base is barely past Coleman at this point, lol

I beed to decide what stoves to bring. I may go with all AGM stoves this trip. Probably my new #6 to show, and a #3 and maybe my #44 to use. I have a nice Coleman 6 too but am trying not to take too big of a load.

I have my camp box loaded and ready. I am bringing my newest waffle iron to play with and plan to do some baking in camp. I do like to cook.

I am bringing a few trade goods. I am excited to pick up some new projects and some different things. Its been in the mid 90s in Red Bluff but Paynes Creek has been in the high 70s to low 80s. Should be nice. That canyon along the creek stays a lot cooler too.
Matt
California
hikerduane
Super Colemanaholic

Post by hikerduane »

A neighbor mentioned today Red Bluff would be hot, we'll see, not looking forward to the heat, was close to 80 here today. The mica is designed for a later lamp which uses a parchment shade with the mica chimney under it to deflect the heat, the AA only uses a clear globe I believe.
Duane
MartyJ
Serious Colemanaholic

Post by MartyJ »

I am planning on bringing my Basford as it has never been out in the wilds (with me). The Handy Coleman Hot Plate as it is my newest favorite stove and, if it comes in in time a PW wagon wheel. Yes, I couldn’t stand it sitting there. Lanterns for something different, an AGM 288 big hat, a 243A and a 220 slant. I am really not selling and hoping that I can control my spending impulses (unlikely) but looking forward with meeting friends and eating good. Should be plenty of stoves to choose from. It will be warm.
Marty
hikerduane
Super Colemanaholic

Post by hikerduane »

If Outlaw can't make this, might be time to just recycle that Sea Swing Randy, I have a 242 frame he wanted also, time to toss it.
Duane
cannonball191

Post by cannonball191 »

Can't make this one. Next time.
Matt
hikerduane
Super Colemanaholic

Post by hikerduane »

Sucks!
I think I'll bring a couple neat AGM lanterns to see how they compare to Matt's stoves, one is pretty rare I guess, a member here was on CPL and asked if I would sell it. Both of differing years have a locking cage that also holds the chimney and rotates to then lift off the bottom section, cool feature. Looks like another small campout.
Duane
FishNChips
Serious Colemanaholic

Post by FishNChips »

Please do Duane! I have enjoyed branching out into other GPAs a bit and love seeing what is out there. I have been loving the AGM stoves, I have not jumped into the PW too much yet.

Marty has an AGM 288 I love. I really like that cobalt blue color. I am keeping my eye out for one. I wish more lanterns used blue. It a funny thing but I do not care for red, 200As fetch a bit of money but I think they are ugly, lol. But that blue 😍

I am going to get packed up this week. I sm excited to see some new toys people have gotten. I hate to say it but think Marty has me beat on cool stoves!!!!

I am excited to test out some new cookware and recipes.

Randy, any word on the Campground? I heard its back open but have not made it up there to confirm. I am thinking camp ground first choice and the open area east of there second choice if its closed or full? I have never seen too many people camped down there though so we should have the area to ourselves!
Matt
California
hikerduane
Super Colemanaholic

Post by hikerduane »

I'll have to bring my 288 for sale then. Has to be started with a torch.
Same old meals for me.
Duane
Rfieldbuilds
Super Colemanaholic

Post by Rfieldbuilds »

FishNChips wrote: Sun May 22, 2022 4:16 am Please do Duane! I have enjoyed branching out into other GPAs a bit and love seeing what is out there. I have been loving the AGM stoves, I have not jumped into the PW too much yet.

Marty has an AGM 288 I love. I really like that cobalt blue color. I am keeping my eye out for one. I wish more lanterns used blue. It a funny thing but I do not care for red, 200As fetch a bit of money but I think they are ugly, lol. But that blue 😍

I am going to get packed up this week. I sm excited to see some new toys people have gotten. I hate to say it but think Marty has me beat on cool stoves!!!!

I am excited to test out some new cookware and recipes.

Randy, any word on the Campground? I heard its back open but have not made it up there to confirm. I am thinking camp ground first choice and the open area east of there second choice if its closed or full? I have never seen too many people camped down there though so we should have the area to ourselves!
Tom (TomMag) has been calling in and checking fire permit status, fishing regs and such. I’ll double check on if he got ahold of anyone on the camp. I think he heads up Wednesday morning. I’ll be in late Thursday night if all goes well for me.
Randy
Rfieldbuilds
Super Colemanaholic

Post by Rfieldbuilds »

Update on the campground:
Tom was told “the gates are open”. I guess once there we can determine if we can be in the campground or at the adjacent space.
Plan C if the gate at Hogsback is closed would be to set up at Finley lake like last year. I’ll probably be tossing out a few signs along the way with red 200a on them, and a note at the F&G gate on Hogsback.
Randy
FishNChips
Serious Colemanaholic

Post by FishNChips »

I have never seen the gate along Hogsback closed. They have it for weather related issues, but we should be fine.

There is a bridge into the Ishi wilderness past the campground they close in winter for blacktail breeding season, but even that one is open this time of year if anyone likes 4x4 trails.
Matt
California
hikerduane
Super Colemanaholic

Post by hikerduane »

Anyone gonna plink beyond camp? I don't have a lock for the case Outlaw gave me, so may not bring my .22. Will check for a key for my old lock, as soon as I find the lock. :)
Duane
Rfieldbuilds
Super Colemanaholic

Post by Rfieldbuilds »

I’m in!
Randy
arizonacamper
Super Colemanaholic

Post by arizonacamper »

I wish I could go I haven't been in that area in decades late eighties I think.
Shawn
Shawn
"Stupidity is the only renewable resource!!"
"The truth is that most of us don't know what direction we are going until we arrive there."
"I'm not the friend you will hear from everyday but I'm the friend you can call on anyday."
"Young enough to know I can
Old enough to know I shouldn't
Stupid enough to do it anyway!"
Coleman Quicklite crew #54
Coleman blues 243 #147
Coleman 275 appreciation #74
Milspec syndicate #39
I.C.C.C. #2043
outlawmws
Super Colemanaholic

Post by outlawmws »

OK, barring something unexpected, I'm planning to be there sometime Friday before noon. SO much has been going on but I need to get out for some fun.

Traveling light - just the Samurai, and maybe the wheeless trailer (box on the hitch). I'll bring the peg leg KK 3, and probably 2 lanterns, one of which is in the pantry/lantern.stove fuel box. Wont be much room for a lot of extras this trip, I'll see what space I have after getting the basics.

"Plinking" - I'm in. You guy's mentioned 22's -you OK if I bring a boomer or two? I haven't busted a cap in at least 3 years... Duane, find that lock and key! Depending on space I'll see if I can fit some empty fuel cans for targets (100 yd or better...)

I'll bring my junker metal detector as well. I'm trying to make that a habit.

Fire Permits: you need those just to have a stove or lantern: https://permit.preventwildfiresca.org/

Coleman Blue's 243's #341 - 275 Appreciation Syndicate member 0242
FAS #001 Confusing Future Generations of Collectors, One Lantern at a Time!
KK No. 3 Appreciation Klub #1

hikerduane
Super Colemanaholic

Post by hikerduane »

One padlock is buried behind my nearly filled wood shed, so will bring my grandfather's old Remington single shot Targetmaster. Guess it will be legal in my cab. Looked and looked for a padlock here. My granddad used it to shoot Sparrows out of his cherry tree down in Modesto back in the early 60's.
Duane
Rfieldbuilds
Super Colemanaholic

Post by Rfieldbuilds »

Big boom little boom. All good with me. Linus and I had some fun last year as we stayed an extra day and warmed up some smoke poles. If anyone has some old and extra .44 rounds around I’d be happy to buy em for da Henry lever.
One of the leftovers in camp was an old rusted through 220. We were obliged to perform last rites.
Really looking forward to seeing ya all this weekend.
Outlaw. 2 lanterns is weak!! Step it up, for your country🇺🇸🇺🇸🇺🇸
Randy
FishNChips
Serious Colemanaholic

Post by FishNChips »

outlawmws wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 3:38 am I'll bring my junker metal detector as well. I'm trying to make that a habit.
https://permit.preventwildfiresca.org/
Your a fellow metal detectorist? I will toss mine in as well if you want to do some detecting! I have been out of the game for a year due to shoulder surgery but feel like I am ready to start up again.

I have some good spots! I know almost every old homestead around there and spent a lot of time there. I have several I want to recap. We will be camped right next to two! As well as several Indian sites. They were starving farmers in the area but I have made a few good finds. Not many coins though.
Matt
California
hikerduane
Super Colemanaholic

Post by hikerduane »

Slow boat from China, waiting on a Tilley kit to arrive, taking over two weeks so far to come from back "east". Has a Tilley stove and lantern in a factory metal cabinet, literature, spare vaporizers, funnel, missing a globe which I bought and received already. I keep checking tracking, but was sent Economy, so will only show original scan and when delivered, not progress, had two shipping options at checkout, both had about the same shipping time, just cost differed. Patience. Should be here in about another week! Marty would be impressed by the kit. He'll love my old .22.
Duane
Pancholoco1911
Super Colemanaholic

Post by Pancholoco1911 »

hikerduane wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 3:47 am One padlock is buried behind my nearly filled wood shed, so will bring my grandfather's old Remington single shot Targetmaster. Guess it will be legal in my cab. Looked and looked for a padlock here. My granddad used it to shoot Sparrows out of his cherry tree down in Modesto back in the early 60's.
Duane
As long as they don’t pull over 1,000 ft near a school or government building you are good to go.
~Pancho~ :cf_howdyhat:

ICCC MEMBER #: 1993

Coleman Blues 243's #163.
Rfieldbuilds
Super Colemanaholic

Post by Rfieldbuilds »

Pancho. Feel better, and hope to see you at the next one.
Randy
outlawmws
Super Colemanaholic

Post by outlawmws »

Rfieldbuilds wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 4:16 am Big boom little boom. All good with me. Linus and I had some fun last year as we stayed an extra day and warmed up some smoke poles. If anyone has some old and extra .44 rounds around I’d be happy to buy em for da Henry lever.
One of the leftovers in camp was an old rusted through 220. We were obliged to perform last rites.
Really looking forward to seeing ya all this weekend.
Outlaw. 2 lanterns is weak!! Step it up, for your country🇺🇸🇺🇸🇺🇸
Is Linus coming? OK, Boomers it is! I'l. see what I can do with space for lanterns/GPA's...

FishNChips wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 4:57 am
outlawmws wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 3:38 am I'll bring my junker metal detector as well. I'm trying to make that a habit.
https://permit.preventwildfiresca.org/
Your a fellow metal detectorist? I will toss mine in as well if you want to do some detecting! I have been out of the game for a year due to shoulder surgery but feel like I am ready to start up again.

I have some good spots! I know almost every old homestead around there and spent a lot of time there. I have several I want to recap. We will be camped right next to two! As well as several Indian sites. They were starving farmers in the area but I have made a few good finds. Not many coins though.
I would not go that far, It really is closer to a toy than a tool! small and light. But it works for simple stuff: finding dropped parts (ever looked for a gun screw in pine needle chaff?) knives... 30 years ago I was getting the nails the construction crew dropped, out of my yard before kids feet found them... So it does work sort of, but its just a brute force sound machine. Nothing fancy. I have still found a few items though!

outlawmws
Super Colemanaholic

Post by outlawmws »

It's supposed to cool off to the 70's for the weekend up there, so that's good! (Based on Payne's creek predictions), Lassen has the fire danger as low, so that's also good!

I'll have a single TentCot for sleeping, and a tarp canopy for shade. Bringing my small Weber box BBQ and a couple of low tables I made, and of course, the washing/Shower station. Making sure I have my fettling tools as I'm sure Randy will be rebuilding a dozen lanterns. I may be in better shape for cargo space as I have pared down a LOT.

Should I shoot for the Privy? How is it for "facilities" around there? - Probably depends on if the camp ground is officially open?

FishNChips
Serious Colemanaholic

Post by FishNChips »

There is a pit toilet in the campground and trees and bushes everywhere. I usually bring a shovel and a small folding portable throne with me in that country.

I am going easy on camp. Just sleeping in my truck cap and bringing a small ezeup. I am considering leaving my fettle tools at home. Looking forward to picking up a few projects, but mainly want to camp and play with my stoves and cookware, and see what everyones new toys are. Maybe a little hiking and some detecting around camp. May toss in a rod and some artificial lures, but I never seem to have enough time for it all.
Matt
California