For Sale/Offers...Colemam 168K & Solus 517 Silent

Title should include: for sale, or for trade or wanted to buy. Pricing can be Buy it Now (BIN), Make Offer, or use both. Listing for 30 days or until cancelled by seller. One or more photos of each item. No Ebay Items. Caveat emptor & Caveat venditor.
gillsimo

For Sale/Offers...Colemam 168K & Solus 517 Silent

Post by gillsimo »

Perhaps a sweet restoration project for one of you's enthusiasts?
I've no interest myself but I am very attached to this old lamp...my grandparent's bought it when the war ended but when electricity was still at a premium in the east end of London, should you actually have been lucky enough to still have a home that is!
I was born in '49 & I spent my early years intrigued/loving this thing...I lived for the power cuts!
I'm no expert but I believe it is complete bar the glass which was badly broken alas.
Shade cage, original shade, I assume (certainly the same tatty bloomin' thing I recall back aged five), hanging rod, all present.
Shade might be acceptable enough with a careful clean & re-thread, should authenticity be your thing.
No dents/holes/rust to the tank, nothing missing/broken, everything screws/un-screws/moves as it should, far as I'd know at least.
No idea as to its functionality...cetainly worked a treat 'til my grandfather passed in 1980, been sat in my ma's loft 'til she too recently went to join him/them.
Will ship for free within the UK, collection from Glastonbury/Somerset welcomed.
Happy to ship abroad but we'd need to chat about that first 'cos I've no idea re international terms/rates/customs or the like.
In all honesty, haven't a clue as to what this might be worth to someone so I need to make it offers only & see what happens, if anything...I believe that's acceptable here?
How that works in practice, perhaps someone could enlighten me?...don't want to upset anyone or break forum rules!

Please refer to post#8 for Solus 517 details/pics.
Many thanks/Gill
ps: I know....glass clasp thingy is upside down :oops:

Last edited by gillsimo on Thu Sep 15, 2022 8:32 am, edited 2 times in total.
Pancholoco1911
Super Colemanaholic

Re: For Sale/Offers...Colemam 168K

Post by Pancholoco1911 »

Hi Gill

Per rules you have to set a price.
Welcome aboard and great story from this masterpiece
~Pancho~ :cf_howdyhat:

ICCC MEMBER #: 1993

Coleman Blues 243's #163.
Brightlight
Colemanaholic

Post by Brightlight »

Pancholoco1911 wrote: Wed Sep 14, 2022 11:24 pm Hi Gill

This is no longer correct..."Make Offer" is acceptable listing.

"Title should include: for sale, or for trade or wanted to buy. Pricing can be Buy it Now (BIN), Make Offer, or use both. Listing for 30 days or until cancelled by seller. One or more photos of each item. No Ebay Items. Caveat emptor & Caveat venditor."
Cole M.
:geek:
Pancholoco1911
Super Colemanaholic

Post by Pancholoco1911 »

Brightlight wrote: Wed Sep 14, 2022 11:41 pm
Pancholoco1911 wrote: Wed Sep 14, 2022 11:24 pm Hi Gill

This is no longer correct..."Make Offer" is acceptable listing.

"Title should include: for sale, or for trade or wanted to buy. Pricing can be Buy it Now (BIN), Make Offer, or use both. Listing for 30 days or until cancelled by seller. One or more photos of each item. No Ebay Items. Caveat emptor & Caveat venditor."
👍

gillsimo

Post by gillsimo »

Thank you's for the welcome & clarification.
So...that sorted, then how is this `offers` thing usually/best conducted please?
Do I set a reasonable time limit, kinda auction style...does any interested party then post a public offer or PM me...the latter I imagine?
Or perhaps one replies to any offer, either way, with a polite "Thanks for the offer, I'll get back to you asap?
I imagine thay wold frustrate a potential buyer, should there even be one of course!

A story with hopefully a happy ending Pancho...my mother's over eager sister beat me to her loft & I arrived to find this lamp thrown into a mini skip (hence the smashed glass) having suffered a very wet night with little for company other than a soggy box with a Solus 517 Silent nearby.
I'll be offering that also, in a day or two.

Cheers/Gill

I
Alan88

Post by Alan88 »

I thought they did a trial run of the make an offer on here and it crashed and burned?? Thought they took that option away? Can an administrator please clarify?
Alan88

Post by Alan88 »

I thought they did a trial run of the make an offer on here and it crashed and burned?? Thought they took that option away? Can an administrator please clarify?
gillsimo

Re: For Sale/Offers...Colemam 168K & Solus 517 Silent

Post by gillsimo »

Whilst awaiting clarification I've taken the liberty to change the header to now include the Solus 517 pictured here....
Same as above details though I've no recollection of ever having seen my grandfather with this one.

Gasman64
Super Colemanaholic
Title: Gaseous Maximus

Post by Gasman64 »

Gill, I'm sending a message about the Solus stove.
Steve
SE Pennsylvania
Whether you think you can or you think you can't, you're right.
gillsimo

Post by gillsimo »

Had a few enquiries from folk in the States...just want to add that shipping to the US is around £30 apparently.
Majicwrench
Super Colemanaholic

Post by Majicwrench »

Gill, the "make offer" can be dealt with however you see fit. You are under no obligation to accept an offer. There is no time limit, unless you desire such. Buyers will probable PM you, though they can post as well. Really no rules on "make offer", but certainly a desire to have happy sellers and buyers.

Thanks for offer stuff here!
Keith
gillsimo

Post by gillsimo »

Thank you Keith...much appreciated.
hikerduane
Super Colemanaholic

Post by hikerduane »

I'd like the Solus, but worried about RM shipping, another option would be nice.
Duane
Duane-All seasons, year round backpacker and camper.  So many stoves and lanterns, who's counting.
Pancholoco1911
Super Colemanaholic

Post by Pancholoco1911 »

Duane

I haven’t had any issues with RM shipping. Good luck if you bid on that

hikerduane
Super Colemanaholic

Post by hikerduane »

I've had two get confiscated out of tons from overseas. Felt bad about one, the other had the wet gleam of kero all over.
Duane
Duane-All seasons, year round backpacker and camper.  So many stoves and lanterns, who's counting.
gillsimo

Post by gillsimo »

Duane

Might add...I've dried out the sorry looking, previously soaked, box & there's not a whiff of anything about the burner..dry as a bone.
hikerduane
Super Colemanaholic

Post by hikerduane »

No mention I saw of how to pay. I do have contacts in the UK, but don't want to bother them unless I found a rare Primus stove I need.
Duane
gillsimo

Post by gillsimo »

Ummm...hadn't given that a thought to be honest.
At a guess an international transfer direct via your bank to mine or a money xfer/wire company?
I assume either will involve a charge/fee though.
Mrgoodwrench

Post by Mrgoodwrench »

I believe paypal works internationally
hikerduane
Super Colemanaholic

Post by hikerduane »

Do you have a photo of the top of the burner itself, does it say Coleman?
Duane
hikerduane
Super Colemanaholic

Post by hikerduane »

I'm passing on this, getting too extended, hope someone picks this up.
Duane
Gasman64
Super Colemanaholic
Title: Gaseous Maximus

Post by Gasman64 »

hikerduane wrote: Fri Sep 16, 2022 7:34 pm I'm passing on this, getting too extended, hope someone picks this up.
Duane
Thank you, Duane, I'm seeing where things go between me and the seller.
Steve
SE Pennsylvania
Whether you think you can or you think you can't, you're right.
gillsimo

Post by gillsimo »

hikerduane wrote: Fri Sep 16, 2022 7:34 pm I'm passing on this, getting too extended, hope someone picks this up.
Duane
By no means wishing to pick an arguement Duane but placing this public suggests to others that buying from me proved troublesome, thus perhaps putting others off.
That being so then I think it only right that I offer a defence in public...I offered to ship to you by any courier of your choice & I agreed to you paying by whatever method you prefered...all losses (fees etc) down to me.
That can only suggest that `too extended` actually boils down to too much effort to visit a money transfer site of choice & go through the relatively painless process of paying?
I've no problem at all with you losing interest/changing your mind..of course not..but inferring that I was in any way, by my conduct/action, somehow the cause of that loss/change simply isn't fair. I couldn't have made the process any less extended for you bar flying over & knocking at your door for my payment!!
gillsimo

Post by gillsimo »

I shall let this sale run its 30 days in hope of further offers but in the meantime I'll offer the items elsewhere, shipping within Uk only.
Thanks all concerned for your interest & assistance.
Gill
Mrgoodwrench

Post by Mrgoodwrench »

gillsimo wrote: Sat Sep 17, 2022 3:22 pm
Duane
By no means wishing to pick an arguement Duane but placing this public suggests to others that buying from me proved troublesome, thus perhaps putting others off.
That being so then I think it only right that I offer a defence in public...I offered to ship to you by any courier of your choice & I agreed to you paying by whatever method you prefered...all losses (fees etc) down to me.
That can only suggest that `too extended` actually boils down to too much effort to visit a money transfer site of choice & go through the relatively painless process of paying?
I've no problem at all with you losing interest/changing your mind..of course not..but inferring that I was in any way, by my conduct/action, somehow the cause of that loss/change simply isn't fair. I couldn't have made the process any less extended for you bar flying over & knocking at your door for my payment!!

We dont know anything about your interactions with Duane. That being said i dont find his comment out of line or off putting. The way i read it was that the auction / waiting time was getting too long and he was simply letting us know he was out of the bidding. I dont know either of you so im not picking sides just giving some outside prespective. Have a good day everyone and lets try and get along we are all coleman fans here. Respectfully mike
RobSchroff
Colemanaholic

Post by RobSchroff »

Please don't let your experience with one potential buyer sour you on selling to buyers in the US.

To me, (I'm) "getting too extended" means running out of money because of other expenses.

Someone will definitely want that Solus.
JimL
Super Colemanaholic

Post by JimL »

>>To me, (I'm) "getting too extended" means running out of money because of other expenses.

Same here.
-Jim

Flammable liquids, open flame, what could go wrong?

Old enough to know better. Young enough to do it.
Lines
Colemanaholic

Post by Lines »

"Hope someone picks this up" puts a positive light on the subject in my opinion.
Robert
Looking for 10/59 lantern or fount for rebuilder.
Prefer a 228E, but not that set on it.
Any 10/59 lantern or fount.
hikerduane
Super Colemanaholic

Post by hikerduane »

I by no means meant any offense to Gill or make him look bad, the last PM I know did not register in my brain, I fail at times to pick up what was stated, so all "bad" falls in my lap.
Duane