Is The Dating Still In? Even to the “experts”

Post your tech questions here, lots of knowledge available.
coolmancool

Is The Dating Still In? Even to the “experts”

Post by coolmancool »

Yes new, TY ! But not to the cools, just this forum ! Sooooo, my ? Is . If the purest on different Coleman sites say that the date year is to the left on the fount bottom of the USA 242B & the month on the right , but yet manufactured from 37 - 42 I believe I read from Old Town . Then how does a 5 8 fit in ? Ty & excellent site ☀️
Last edited by coolmancool on Mon Feb 22, 2021 9:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Always remember, if we only save stuff & don't use the stuff , then were only Flaunting our stuff :cf_2cents: & Every Child Needs At Least 1 Fishing Rod 🏕 Howdy - Central Pa
Leviticus_Tomethreus
Super Colemanaholic

Re: Is The Dating Still In? Even to the “experts”

Post by Leviticus_Tomethreus »

Well mate. Context clues. Wasn’t made in 35 or 45, so it had to be the month. Then that makes 8 the year. 5/38
My friends don’t call me “Lantern/lampie Levi” for nothin’,if they did call me that.
Looking for bday lanterns 8/38, 8/41,
10/25, and 8/07
The biggest lie I tell myself is ”I don’t need to write that down, I’ll remember it.”
“People say nothing is impossible, but I do nothing everyday” -A.A. Milne
Now officially ICCC member #1995. Most likely the youngest member with a registered name.

You guessed it, Levi Tomey 
REJ2
Serious Colemanaholic

Post by REJ2 »

Also, the collar may say 242B, but are you absolutely sure the collar is original to that lantern? I have some that are not.
Bob    ICCC #1574
Never, ever, leave behind a $5 lamp
Perfection Heater Collectors # 7 --- Coleman Slant Saver #63
MilSpecOps Syndicate #016 --- Coleman 275 Appreciation Syndicate #0131 --- Coleman Blues 243 #86
BernzOmatic Appreciation Club #047 --- Coleman Quick-Lite Crew #23 --- Gold Bond Collector #21
coolmancool

Post by coolmancool »

Then One could throw out the window yr being first, orrrrr were they actually made in 35 & 36 , which I hv read that also & then who would really know what their true date is , if it’s just a guessing game , unless they hv identical #'s on either side or a double digit on their’s, & of course they weren’t till later years !
Last edited by coolmancool on Mon Feb 22, 2021 6:23 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Always remember, if we only save stuff & don't use the stuff , then were only Flaunting our stuff :cf_2cents: & Every Child Needs At Least 1 Fishing Rod 🏕 Howdy - Central Pa
coolmancool

Post by coolmancool »

Yes for sure on the collar, I know where this lantern came from it would not have been tampered with and wasn’t used all that much either
Last edited by coolmancool on Mon Feb 22, 2021 8:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
coolmancool

Post by coolmancool »

yes 242B original
Last edited by coolmancool on Mon Feb 22, 2021 8:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Northman49
Serious Colemanaholic

Post by Northman49 »

If Coleman Wichita had invested in an extra digit then all this confusion would be avoided. Toronto did it right!
She was only a moonshiner's daughter, but I loved her still.

I keep my tools sharp...but my mind sharper!
  Ed
                 ICCC no.1880
                 CANADIAN BLUES Member #023

Mil-spec ops #1982
gwillmot
Serious Colemanaholic

Post by gwillmot »

:cf_flag_canada: :cf_redlantern:

Here! Here!

Speaking of Canada ..... I wonder if we could get
Mr.jpg
to settle this thing once and for all??????
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Still Crazy After All These Years

He that believeth and is baptized shall be saved; but he that believeth not shall be damned.
Mark 16:16

coolmancool

Post by coolmancool »

Sooooo then, Say hypothetically that I had a nickel 242B that had a 7 2 , then who’s to say it’s a Feb 37 & not a July 42 , don’t want to cause more confusion buttttttt agree with guillemot , can we just settle this intellects 🎓
Ridge_Runner
Super Colemanaholic

Post by Ridge_Runner »

coolmancool wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 9:38 pm Sooooo then, Say hypothetically that I had a nickel 242B that had a 7 2 , then who’s to say it’s a Feb 37 & not a July 42 , don’t want to cause more confusion buttttttt agree with guillemot , can we just settle this intellects 🎓
It would likely be a green painted fount in ‘42.
— L.J.

Looking for 10/2015 & 1/2020 B-Day Lanterns
I love the smell of naphtha in the morning!
"Ain’t no need to watch where I’m goin’; just need to know where I’ve been" -Tow Mater
coolmancool

Post by coolmancool »

old town shows nickel fount 37-42 , & green fount 41-42 ! i can only go by what i read in my searches
Tgarner01
Super Colemanaholic

Post by Tgarner01 »

I have 5 examples of reversed date lanterns ranging from 1937-1940 IIRC. I made a post with photos several months ago... May still be available through a search 🤷‍♂️ Very common. Also some upside down stamped numbers... I find it fun trying to figure them out, Canadian dates are too easy 😁
Toby Garner, from SW Missouri
ICCC #1939
coolmancool

Post by coolmancool »

without seeking to far TG, whats the main give away that tells you, me or anyone else , that they are truly backwards & not actually manufactured on or in years that we may not hv realized , the upside down, yeah i get that would be obvious !
coolmancool

Post by coolmancool »

F131B111-9469-4939-A204-1DD84C561558.jpeg
Tgarner01
Super Colemanaholic

Post by Tgarner01 »

coolmancool wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 11:31 pm without seeking to far TG, whats the main give away that tells you, me or anyone else , that they are truly backwards & not actually manufactured on or in years that we may not hv realized , the upside down, yeah i get that would be obvious !
Coleman has records with dates of when lamps and lanterns, all GPAs for that matter were shipped. I'm assuming this is were the dating information comes from.
ICCC #1939
coolmancool

Post by coolmancool »

Is that where your info came from when you said you had a post on the reverse date subject ? & where can this be found ? just out of interest , im not really a buyer, seller or probably even a collector , sorta just stumble into these items & dont go out of my way to find them ! when i do hv an item though , i just like to know as much of the true history of them as possible , & Thanks for all the replies !
Tgarner01
Super Colemanaholic

Post by Tgarner01 »

coolmancool wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 12:39 am Is that where your info came from when you said you had a post on the reverse date subject ? & where can this be found ? just out of interest , im not really a buyer, seller or probably even a collector , sorta just stumble into these items & dont go out of my way to find them ! when i do hv an item though , i just like to know as much of the true history of them as possible , & Thanks for all the replies !
I was just showing some of my examples. Here's you some reading material.

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=20576&p=274477&hilit
ICCC #1939
Rhubarb
Serious Colemanaholic
Title: The Pie Plant

Post by Rhubarb »

It has been mentioned many times that Coleman never threw anything out. Speculation about a stash of base plates or founts popping up in a production run has been brought up more than once. Swapped and upside down date stamps cannot be denied.

The date ranges have been narrowed down in most cases by combing through old shipping records, advertisements, and various catalogs. It's not an exact science. The http://intlccc.net/information/modelyea ... /by-model/ and 'the book' say the 242B was manufactured from 36 to 42. I think Dr. Marsh agrees with your 1937 start date. https://terry-marsh.com/coleman-us-lanterns-1936-1945/
  Image- Andy
gwillmot
Serious Colemanaholic

Post by gwillmot »

Tgarner01 wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 11:17 pm I have 5 examples of reversed date lanterns ranging from 1937-1940 IIRC. I made a post with photos several months ago... May still be available through a search 🤷‍♂️ Very common. Also some upside down stamped numbers... I find it fun trying to figure them out, Canadian dates are too easy 😁
I'll have to go with what TG says as I've observed the same "anomalies" myself. One has to realize that these were hand-stamped and as such, mistakes were made I'm sure.
Sorry CoolManCool ..... but I'm going to have to dump the moose as a reliable source!
gwillmeaux

He that believeth and is baptized shall be saved; but he that believeth not shall be damned.

coolmancool

Post by coolmancool »

Thanks all, & whats a couple years difference anyway when one has a cool vintage , i know the purest wont like this , but i like the contrast of the nickel fount & the collar to brass look , for just hanging around ! I KNOW I KNOW , so you dont hv to mention it
Murff
Administrator
Title: Guy Who Knows Just Enough To Cause Trouble

Post by Murff »

I found this archive photo of the guy who stamped dates on founts back in the 30s and early 40s:

Sadly, he died in WWII when he got drunk and was hit by a Jeep.

Murff
Name: Murff   ICCC Member #726 
Coleman Blue's 243's #002   Ebay Handle: Happy-campers2 
EX-ICCC Newsletter Editor & Full time Coleman Addiction Enabler
Part-time Idito and Hater of Turd 275s
coolmancool

Post by coolmancool »

Thank Goodness, no Canadians drank since they got it right , HEE HEE . Their more into nature than War !
Gasman64
Super Colemanaholic
Title: Gaseous Maximus

Post by Gasman64 »

I just wanted to say
:cf_welcomejump:
from another Pennsylvanian...
Steve
ICCC #1012
South Eastern Pennsylvania
coolmancool

Post by coolmancool »

Thanks Steve , Glad to be here !
williamlee111
Colemanaholic

Post by williamlee111 »

1936-1965 made in Canada 242B
Not looking for anything. I have too much already, my wife says. 

Bill
Tigerfans2
Super Colemanaholic

Post by Tigerfans2 »

coolmancool wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 2:39 am Thank Goodness, no Canadians drank since they got it right , HEE HEE . Their more into nature than War !
Yeah, that's why they stayed neutral in WWII.

waiting for it.....
Coleman Slant Saver #58
Coleman Quick Lite Crew #8
Coleman Blues 243's #16
ecblanks
Super Colemanaholic

Post by ecblanks »

I also just don't think oldetown has the most accurate or up-to-date info
Carlton
Coleman 275 Appreciation Syndicate # 0176
Slant Saver #29
Mil-Spec Ops #0973
ICCC Member #1892
Dmacp
Super Colemanaholic

Post by Dmacp »

they reversed those numbers several times for no apparent reason before '49. And why not, they were not concerned with collectors trying to figure out why they did it 70 years later.
Dan
ICCC member #604
StanDahl
Super Colemanaholic

Post by StanDahl »

To help narrow it down, if it has the large Coleman sunrise stamp on the side of the fount, it's 1938. If not, 1935.

I have seen a couple with that date, but I didn't make note of the presence or absence of a stamp. One definitely has a 242B collar, but I didn't see a photo of the fount stamp.

I have seen at least one 242B with a backwards date stamp - the left digit was a "10".

I agree with the assessment of the accuracy of the Old Town Coleman date list, it needs an update. The ICCC list is more accurate.
John - ICCC Petty Bureaucrat #CMLXII...
BillG
Colemanaholic

Post by BillG »

Tigerfans2 wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 2:13 pm
coolmancool wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 2:39 am Thank Goodness, no Canadians drank since they got it right , HEE HEE . Their more into nature than War !

waiting for it.....
and here it is.......The military history of Canada during World War II.... In all, some 1.1 million Canadians served in the Canadian Army, Royal Canadian Navy, Royal Canadian Air Force, and in forces across the Commonwealth, with approximately 42,000 killed and another 55,000 wounded. The financial cost was $21.8 billion between 1939 and 1950.[5] By the end of the war Canada had the world's fourth largest air force,[6] and fifth largest navy.[7] The Canadian Merchant Navy completed over 25,000 voyages across the Atlantic,[8] 130,000 Allied pilots were trained in Canada in the British Commonwealth Air Training Plan. On D-Day, 6 June 1944 the 3rd Canadian Infantry Division landed on "Juno" beach in Normandy, in conjunction with allied forces. The Second World War had significant cultural, political and economic effects on Canada, including the conscription crisis in 1944 which affected unity between francophones and anglophones. The war effort strengthened the Canadian economy and furthered Canada's global position.
Bill
Toronto, Canada
Northman49
Serious Colemanaholic

Post by Northman49 »

Notice the date???? Not a fan of Canada's attachment to the foreign monarchy...but it's history.
GeoVICan.jpg
Probably one of the last Canadian Coleman 500 made before the war.
IMG_2228__1474919123_57307.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Northman49 on Sat Feb 27, 2021 11:17 pm, edited 2 times in total.
She was only a moonshiner's daughter, but I loved her still.

I keep my tools sharp...but my mind sharper!
  Ed
                 ICCC no.1880
                 CANADIAN BLUES Member #023

Mil-spec ops #1982
gwillmot
Serious Colemanaholic

Post by gwillmot »

[quote=BillG post_id=316038 time=1614465195 user_id=132

and here it is.......The military history of Canada during World War II.... In all, some 1.1 million Canadians served in the Canadian Army, Royal Canadian Navy, Royal Canadian Air Force, and in forces across the Commonwealth, with approximately 42,000 killed and another 55,000 wounded. The financial cost was $21.8 billion between 1939 and 1950.[5] By the end of the war Canada had the world's fourth largest air force,[6] and fifth largest navy.[7] The Canadian Merchant Navy completed over 25,000 voyages across the Atlantic,[8] 130,000 Allied pilots were trained in Canada in the British Commonwealth Air Training Plan. On D-Day, 6 June 1944 the 3rd Canadian Infantry Division landed on "Juno" beach in Normandy, in conjunction with allied forces. The Second World War had significant cultural, political and economic effects on Canada, including the conscription crisis in 1944 which affected unity between francophones and anglophones. The war effort strengthened the Canadian economy and furthered Canada's global position.
[/quote]
bam.jpeg

Tigerfans2
Super Colemanaholic

Post by Tigerfans2 »

BillG wrote: Sat Feb 27, 2021 10:33 pm
Tigerfans2 wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 2:13 pm

waiting for it.....
Tongue. In. Cheek.

AKA irony.

Irony needs to be a mandatory subject taught in high school.
Coleman Slant Saver #58
Coleman Quick Lite Crew #8
Coleman Blues 243's #16
gwillmot
Serious Colemanaholic

Post by gwillmot »

Irony ... isn't that included in the Home Economics course? Maybe not since the introduction of Permanent Press garments .....

CoolPro
Colemanaholic

Post by CoolPro »

This thread is totally off the rails, but I'd just like to point out that Canada's military is today still using all the millitary hardware from our WWII adventures - because we like nature more than war or something?

Cheers!
CoolPro - Kelly In Alberta
Novice Fettler