Whom is running Coleman Outdoor Products?

Post your tech questions here, lots of knowledge available.
Up to Light

Whom is running Coleman Outdoor Products?

Post by Up to Light »

Growing up in the 70's my Mom would take me to Globe, Gibson's, Kmart and H-Cooks to buy camping equipment and fishing gear for the yearly camping trip. Back then all I remember seeing was Coleman! Coleman! Coleman! Nowadays I hardly see any more Coleman products! Walmart, Academy, Cabelas which got bought out by Bass Pro Shop which really sucks hardly carry Coleman products. Why?!! Didn't one of the Coleman sons take over? I was so disappointed in the closing of the Coleman Museum and Factory Outlet Store. So who is the President of Coleman Outdoor Products now? Whom is in charge of marketing? W.C. Coleman would not let this happen...
Leviticus_Tomethreus
Super Colemanaholic

Re: Whom is running Coleman Outdoor Products?

Post by Leviticus_Tomethreus »

One of the grandsons tried to buy the company back in the 80s but failed. Nobody in the Coleman family is in charge at Coleman now.
My friends don’t call me “Lantern/lampie Levi” for nothin’,if they did call me that.
Looking for bday lanterns 8/38, 8/41,
10/25, and 8/07
The biggest lie I tell myself is ”I don’t need to write that down, I’ll remember it.”
“People say nothing is impossible, but I do nothing everyday” -A.A. Milne
Now officially ICCC member #1995. Most likely the youngest member with a registered name.

You guessed it, Levi Tomey 
gwillmot
Serious Colemanaholic

Post by gwillmot »

Nice little history of the Coleman company through the end of the 1990's

https://www.referenceforbusiness.com/hi ... y-Inc.html
Still Crazy After All These Years

He that believeth and is baptized shall be saved; but he that believeth not shall be damned.
Mark 16:16

MotorcycleDan
Serious Colemanaholic

Post by MotorcycleDan »

Newell Rubbermaid owns Coleman now. Coleman is just a cog in a very large machine now.
Dan ICCC #900
ICCC Treasure
Sierra_Roadrunner

Post by Sierra_Roadrunner »

Coleman in name only?
Call Coleman toll free for parts and they refer you to ereplacement parts. So Coleman doesn't even carry parts anymore. No support at all.
Joe
ICCC# 1893

" Curiosity is natural to the soul of man and interesting objects have a profound influence on our affections." - Daniel Boone
Lex71x

Post by Lex71x »

Sierra_Roadrunner wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 7:35 pm Coleman in name only?
Call Coleman toll free for parts and they refer you to ereplacement parts. So Coleman doesn't even carry parts anymore. No support at all.
looks like we're on our own, kids! :(
Arnold Layne had a strange hobby.
Up to Light

Post by Up to Light »

Thank you all for your input. It's very sad to see W.C. Colemans innovation and hard work come to this...
mksmth
Super Colemanaholic

Post by mksmth »

I wouldnt be surprised if in the next 10 years coleman is no more. I hope not but wouldnt be surprised.
Mike
ICCC #2030
Coleman quick lite crew #51
275 syndicate #0429
Love flathead Ford's, tropical plants and Coleman lantern.
looking for a dual fuel Northstar, any quick lite especially a Slant, maroon vent for a kamplite rl-2 PM if you have one.  
JimL
Super Colemanaholic

Post by JimL »

I never had the impression that Coleman was doing poorly. Some folks are mistaken in thinking that collectors are a big part of their business, but we're not. It's more like .01% of their overall business. I'm in the minority in that I've bought several new liquid fueled lanterns in the past few years. Once liquid fueled lanterns are gone, they ain't coming back to the US market.

As far as parts are concerned, they will take care of customers with recent production lanterns and stoves. Just perhaps not our 50-100 year old lanterns and stoves. I have no idea of the costs in restarting a production line for parts, but it can't be very economical, especially when it takes so long to sell off the inventory.

If you want to see Coleman products, take a trip to Walmart. They've been restocking recently.
-Jim

I threw a boomerang a couple years ago; I now live in constant fear.

Flammable liquids, open flame, what could go wrong?
Coast_to_Coast
Colemanaholic

Post by Coast_to_Coast »

mksmth wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 2:16 am I wouldnt be surprised if in the next 10 years coleman is no more. I hope not but wouldnt be surprised.
As long as the Coleman name can still sell product it’s not going anywhere. At least as a brand.
-Bird- Wisconsin
“I don’t want another lantern, I just want the last one again”
ICCC#1776     The Coleman Blue‘s 243’s #143
sjsjr86s

Post by sjsjr86s »

JimL wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 3:05 am I never had the impression that Coleman was doing poorly. Some folks are mistaken in thinking that collectors are a big part of their business, but we're not. It's more like .01% of their overall business. I'm in the minority in that I've bought several new liquid fueled lanterns in the past few years. Once liquid fueled lanterns are gone, they ain't coming back to the US market.

As far as parts are concerned, they will take care of customers with recent production lanterns and stoves. Just perhaps not our 50-100 year old lanterns and stoves. I have no idea of the costs in restarting a production line for parts, but it can't be very economical, especially when it takes so long to sell off the inventory.

If you want to see Coleman products, take a trip to Walmart. They've been restocking recently.
funny you mention that jim, i bought a 288 globe there one day about a week ago and nerd i am i always read the package. it says "a Jarden corporation company" another item said something about an australian based company but you nailed it on the head, these companies will keep the marque going purely for profit so they're not going to keep making parts for the old stuff with low demand from a few they'd much rather sell you a new one or high demand parts. it all comes down to consumer demand and today's campers want Jackerys and LED lights. nothing wrong with those things but the old gas stuff is slowly becoming a relic of the past but it's funny, campers with LED lanterns see our gas lanterns and comment on how nostalgic it is. Guess it's the job of a few to keep the old traditions alive. seems like yesterday everyone used to carry pump repair kits year round now you're lucky if walmart stocks them in the summer and only the neoprene pumps no leather. I recently purchased a coleman 6 person tent on amazon as a "open box with mild blemish" and it turns out the blemish was a 9 inch hole in the carry bag. I phoned them up to see about ordering a replacement bag and they say the didn't sell separately. figures.
Steve
San Diego, CA
Lex71x

Post by Lex71x »

my walmart no longer carries mantles because too many were being stolen. they could lock them up alongside the BB's but that would take way too much work apparently.

and this is 5 miles from JTNP :) good times!
brucesheehe
Super Colemanaholic
Title: ECCENTRIC BLOCKHEAD

Post by brucesheehe »

My Walmart (central PA) still has mantles and Coleman/Crown White Gasoline. I saw one Coleman propane lantern.

Coleman is basically a wholesaler now.

Warranty claims are basically to just send a new replacement product - more cost effective especially with electronics.

They still offer replacement tent poles for their tents.

I look for GPAs to be phased out except for a very few models.

I am looking forward to the new line of LED stoves.
Bruce Sheehe, aka ECCENTRIC BLOCKHEAD
ICCC #889 - Connoisseur of Time, Friends, Leisure, & Coleman   Altoona, PA - The Mountain City - Near The Eastern USA Continental Divide
mksmth
Super Colemanaholic

Post by mksmth »

brucesheehe wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 10:28 am

LOL. sort of Like those electric fireplaces with fake flames.
Mike
ICCC #2030
275 syndicate #0429
looking for a dual fuel Northstar, any quick lite especially a Slant, maroon vent for a kamplite rl-2 PM if you have one.  
DougA
Serious Colemanaholic

Post by DougA »

The Coleman name is turning up on all sorts of things these days, it seems. I happened across this recently:
https://www.radioshack.com/products/20- ... era-yellow
DougA  ... fettler and keeper of a family collection of nickel: a 249, a pair of 237s, and a 1938 228B, along with a late 1979 red 200a.  Then two more turned up, a 1941 243A and a 1944 242C, and now there's a b-day 200A lantern, too!.
Coleman Blues Member #92.
BernzOmatic Appreciation Club #009.
Perfection Heater Collectors #5 
gwillmot
Serious Colemanaholic

Post by gwillmot »

DougA wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 1:37 pm The Coleman name is turning up on all sorts of things these days, it seems. I happened across this recently:
https://www.radioshack.com/products/20- ... era-yellow
sad.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Still Crazy After All These Years

He that believeth and is baptized shall be saved; but he that believeth not shall be damned.
Mark 16:16

mksmth
Super Colemanaholic

Post by mksmth »

Coast_to_Coast wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 3:56 am
mksmth wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 2:16 am I wouldnt be surprised if in the next 10 years coleman is no more. I hope not but wouldnt be surprised.
As long as the Coleman name can still sell product it’s not going anywhere. At least as a brand.
Thats more what I was meaning. Coleman not actually making anything anymore just selling the name.
Mike
ICCC #2030
275 syndicate #0429
JimL
Super Colemanaholic

Post by JimL »

>>you nailed it on the head, these companies will keep the marque going purely for profit...

Steve,

I never wrote this! Coleman, like all companies, need to turn a profit or they are quickly out of business. I am not down on Coleman what-so-ever. It makes no business sense to sell a product that takes years to clear the inventory, so why make GPA's that aren't in demand. Coleman is constantly developing products for the current market. We just aren't the target market.
Last edited by JimL on Thu Apr 08, 2021 4:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-Jim

JimL
Super Colemanaholic

Post by JimL »

>>I am looking forward to the new line of LED stoves.

Bruce,

I have one and it works pretty good. Due to the power consumption needed to drive the laser diodes, I suggest keeping it near your tailgate. If using the 12V vehicle adapter, I advise starting your vehicle after every other meal to keep your vehicle's battery charged. Although you can get an internal battery as an option, I find the extra 30 pounds of weight to be a bit much. Plus, you'll have to bring it to your vehicle anyway to re-charge it. All in all, it isn't a bad stove! It takes a bit longer to cook a meal, but it's the wave of the future.
-Jim

sjsjr86s

Post by sjsjr86s »

JimL wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 3:02 pm >>you nailed it on the head, these companies will keep the marque going purely for profit...

Steve,

I never wrote this! Coleman, like all companies, need to turn a profit or they are quickly out of business. I am not down on Coleman what-so-ever. It makes no business sense to sell a product that takes years to clear the inventory, so why make GPA's that aren't in demand. Coleman is constantly developing products for the current market. We just aren't the target market.

If what I heard a couple of years ago is true, then I can understand the change attitude towards parts for collectors. Some folks remember that Coleman made R55 generators available to collectors for $12. These generators normally sold for $25. Well, someone calling themselves a 'collector' apparently accumulated quite a lot of them, was selling them at a hefty profit, and at the same time, taking the sales away from Coleman. Again, this is hearsay, but I heard it really ticked off Coleman and it was shortly after that parts for older GPA's seemed to go away.
No disrespect and not saying you said anything but the gist of it. I worry about people doing what that guy is thought to have done but you know as well as i do a company is meant to turn a profit... some do it in different ways but it seems now they cater to whatever sells best same as the stores. Fortunately we have OCP available who seems to be keeping prices reasonable i just hope that they are able to stay afloat for the long term. Funny thing is that coleman stuff crops up at random like the camera. I am not down on coleman either but it's always going to change with a corporate takeover same thing happened to RCA. They got out of making TVs and got into making tablet computers. I just hope that whomever gets the coleman brand will keep some of the old traditions alive. If I ever luck out and hot the lottery I would invest in a business who makes repro parts for old lanterns. By the way I have a "collector" here in San Diego who cropped up recently and is making parts lanterns hard to find and expensive so I feel that frustration but it's the way things are.
Steve
San Diego, CA
pagrey

Post by pagrey »

I have a camping buddy that swears by everything Coleman. Most of my car camping friends have their big instant tents. It's funny because I enjoy all the old stoves and lanterns but have no interest in any of their nylon and plastic goods. I think the name will continue to find itself on camping equipment for years to come. There are Coleman products in Costco every time I'm there, I don't think the brand needs much help.
Paul
Stovie
Colemanaholic

Coleman Outdoor Products

Post by Stovie »

There are a great number of US companies who have gone TU, yet live on (in name only), production having long ago moved overseas and any sort of quality or durability non-existent.

The hallmark of American made goods historically was generally a very good value for the money. Not always the "best" quality necessarily or pushing the envelope on innovation but quite a lot of bang for the buck.

Companies or businesses tend to have a life cycle of their own - birth, growth, maturity, decline, and death.

This kind of thing falls under "Identity theft".
Broad is the path that leads to destruction.

Especially those red headed broads, they are a sure path to ruination.
sjsjr86s

Re: Coleman Outdoor Products

Post by sjsjr86s »

Stovie wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 6:25 pm This kind of thing falls under "Identity theft".
:lol: perfectly said
Steve
San Diego, CA
JimL
Super Colemanaholic

Post by JimL »

Jarden bought Coleman from"American Household" in 2005. Newell acquired Jarden in 2015. I would not suggest that Newell is doing a slash and burn on Coleman over their past six years of ownership. Coleman still manufactures in the states when practical, and yes, focuses on selling products that the general public will buy. Although we may not like it, focusing on us collectors would be a very bad business decision.
-Jim

Hansmafia

Post by Hansmafia »

Lex71x wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 8:35 am my walmart no longer carries mantles because too many were being stolen. they could lock them up alongside the BB's but that would take way too much work apparently.

Good to know in case I am ever in a pinch at J Tree. We had to drive out of the park a couple of weekends ago to grab more water and ice.
Johnny aka Hans
sjsjr86s

Post by sjsjr86s »

Lex71x wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 8:35 am my walmart no longer carries mantles because too many were being stolen. they could lock them up alongside the BB's but that would take way too much work apparently.

that or they're not selling. I have noticed almost NO wal-marts near me carry mantles anymore. I keep well stocked with regular new stock colemans and grab a few when I see them. amazon actually has a nice selection but charge a bit too much for them but i get 11's and 51's there. new stock coleman... for summer and bug season.
IMG_20210408_200225763~2.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Steve
San Diego, CA
Lex71x

Post by Lex71x »

the Big5 Sporting Goods just down the street still has 21's in tie-on and clip-on, but you have to ask for them behind the counter nowadays (they keep them in a register drawer) since too many people were stuffing their pockets.

dang lantern junkies!!
sjsjr86s

Post by sjsjr86s »

Lex71x wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 3:57 am the Big5 Sporting Goods just down the street still has 21's in tie-on and clip-on, but you have to ask for them behind the counter nowadays (they keep them in a register drawer) since too many people were stuffing their pockets.

dang lantern junkies!!
:lol:
i like snorting thorium in the morning.

now,

this is a hijack....

Nobody talks about clip-ons. do they get the same hate as clip-on ties? I understand some folks are unable to tie the strings but I personally like the ritual of tying on new mantles. it's ALMOST as good as burning them in with a match.
Steve
San Diego, CA
JimL
Super Colemanaholic

Post by JimL »

I think the main issue with the clip-on mantles is the price. I used some clip-ons once, not Coleman, and they were fine on larger burner caps like the 200A, but the smaller burner caps like a CQ lamp, I've had them just fall off because the diameter of the clip was too large. Again, I've not tried the Coleman ones, but yeah, for people that don't have the agility with their hands, or perhaps camping in temps way below zero, clip-ons can be a blessing.
-Jim

sjsjr86s

Post by sjsjr86s »

Good point Jim I didn't think about trying to tie them on in winter
Steve
San Diego, CA
brucesheehe
Super Colemanaholic
Title: ECCENTRIC BLOCKHEAD

Post by brucesheehe »

If you order Coleman mantles from Walmart, they will be sent to you (bulk) direct from Coleman.

The price is very good.
ICCC #889 - Connoisseur of Time, Friends, Leisure, & Coleman   Altoona, PA - The Mountain City - Near The Eastern USA Continental Divide
zialantern

Post by zialantern »

Very funny! I wonder if it will be able to cook flapjacks.
  • Virgil - ICCC #1164  Coleman Blues 243's #129
  • Im a Wickie 2