Several Parts are different in 242c

Post your tech questions here, lots of knowledge available.
teetee711

Several Parts are different in 242c

Post by teetee711 »

I just got my very first 242c in nickel (8/48) and green (4/47).
However, I noticed that several parts are different, any ideas?

a. That is a small hole on the frame, but compared to the next one it doesn't have it. Is this common? Should I weld it? (Red circle)

b. What does 2 mean in the middle of the frame? (Yellow circle)

c. Why one of the burner tube come with additional screws? Can it be added by the previous owner? (White circle)

d. Please note that the pump screw on the green base has only 1 screw, while the nickel has only 2. Any idea?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Tgarner01
Super Colemanaholic

Re: Several Parts are different in 242c

Post by Tgarner01 »

I'm not seeing anything that stands out I would be worried about. The difference between the painted and nickel C's were often to do with Coleman conserving materials even tho it was post war... Happy fettling 👍
Toby Garner, from SW Missouri
ICCC #1939
Sierra_Roadrunner

Post by Sierra_Roadrunner »

teetee711 wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 6:42 am I just got my very first 242c in nickel (8/48) and green (4/47).
However, I noticed that several parts are different, any ideas?
a. That is a small hole on the frame, but compared to the next one it doesn't have it. Is this common? Should I weld it? (Red circle)
b. What does 2 mean in the middle of the frame?
In regards to your question a. The small hole on the frame is just an imperfection in the casting and should not have an impact on the lantern operation.
As to question b. The 2 on the frame is a casting number for the mold.
+ 1 what Toby posted ....
Tgarner01 wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 11:10 am I'm not seeing anything that stands out I would be worried about. The difference between the painted and nickel C's were often to do with Coleman conserving materials even tho it was post war... Happy fettling 👍
Joe
ICCC# 1893

" Curiosity is natural to the soul of man and interesting objects have a profound influence on our affections." - Daniel Boone
wildhorsehans

Post by wildhorsehans »

Not 100% sure but you may find the check valve is different as well. Sometime around there they went from a narrow slotted CV with a larger thread for the stem, to the modern wide slot and smaller thread style. They are interchangeable though. The new CV will fit the old fount but you have to use the new stem with the new CV as the threads are different.
The new guy from Chester NH. 
ICCC #1847

AIRBORNE ALL THE WAY!!!
Dmacp
Super Colemanaholic

Post by Dmacp »

sounds like a research project. Painted "C"s usually had only one screw on the pump cap. Sometimes only one hole, sometimes 2.
Dan
ICCC member #604
kellyblues
Serious Colemanaholic

Post by kellyblues »

Its my understanding the C's weren't planned. They had an abundance of parts from the two earlier versions and made what was necessary to liquidate them by producing the C. That's why there's a range of differences with them. One of the many smart business decisions that made them what they became. Like using left over surplus iron handles for lantern reflector handles. Or changing fount color to match off color vents. They were masters at preventing losses.
Milspec syndicate #0044
ICCC member # 1154
Still learning how NOT to do things.
mcdugal2
Super Colemanaholic

Post by mcdugal2 »

The air stem in the CV didn't change diameter/ thread until the '90s I think. I believe that is also when they added the o-ring to the CV...
Phil Rhoades ICCC# 1125
The Coleman Blue's 243's. #035
"I'm a man, but I can Change, if I have to, I guess." - Red Green