236 Valve Stem Assembly

Post your tech questions here, lots of knowledge available.
Madcap

236 Valve Stem Assembly

Post by Madcap »

Do all Coleman single mantle lanterns just have the small retainer ring on the valve stem?

I have a 236 fuel valve stem that leaked and noticed it only had the narrow retainer and no larger ring.

Thanks
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Dick
Mill Spec-Ops #0345
International POSSUM Brotherhood Chapter 11
"Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati"
Ridge Runner
Super Colemanaholic

Re: 236 Valve Stem Assembly

Post by Ridge Runner »

My 6-‘48 Canadian 236 has the rings on each side of the packing.

I looked for a 236 diagram on OCP but they only have one for the 237/A. For what its worth, looks like there’s two on there as well.

Silly question: is the other ring stuck inside your packing nut?
— L.J.
In the foothills of the Berkshires, Western Massachusetts

Wanted: January 1925 U.S. CQ Lamp
I love the smell of naphtha in the morning!
"Ain’t no need to watch where I’m goin’; just need to know where I’ve been" -Tow Mater
Madcap

Post by Madcap »

Thanks for your reply....there's a 236 diagram on "Classic Pressure Lamps" and it seems to indicate a ring between the nut and graphite packing.
There's no ring inside the nut on my stem of the 9 69, 236 but I looked at another 236 dated 10 61 that doesn't have the second larger ring either. I don't know how the packing could seal without the other ring but I'm still very lacking in experience.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Dick
Mill Spec-Ops #0345
Ridge Runner
Super Colemanaholic

Post by Ridge Runner »

No prob, Dick. I hope you get things squared away.

Going to add that diagram to my archives...
— L.J.
In the foothills of the Berkshires, Western Massachusetts

Wanted: January 1925 U.S. CQ Lamp
I love the smell of naphtha in the morning!
"Ain’t no need to watch where I’m goin’; just need to know where I’ve been" -Tow Mater
Madcap

Post by Madcap »

Yup, glad you could add the diagram anyway.... don't know why neither of my 236's include the larger packing ring. Seems like it would be needed.
Best
Dick
Mill Spec-Ops #0345
Madcap

Post by Madcap »

Can anyone else confirm parts of the 236 stem assembly and whether the larger ring should be included or required?
Dick
Mill Spec-Ops #0345
Tgarner01
Super Colemanaholic

Post by Tgarner01 »

The 237s are setup just like a 220 with 2 rings. The only difference is the valve stem is longer. I would think the 236 would be identical.
Toby Garner, from SW Missouri
ICCC #1939
Madcap

Post by Madcap »

Tgarner01 wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 6:41 pm The 237s are setup just like a 220 with 2 rings. The only difference is the valve stem is longer. I would think the 236 would be identical.
I would think the same but both the 236's I have only have the smaller retainer next to the split ring and only the stem nut compressing against the packing .... both also leak. My 220's all have the two retainers.
Dick
Mill Spec-Ops #0345
Tgarner01
Super Colemanaholic

Post by Tgarner01 »

Madcap wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 1:58 am
Tgarner01 wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 6:41 pm The 237s are setup just like a 220 with 2 rings. The only difference is the valve stem is longer. I would think the 236 would be identical.
I would think the same but both the 236's I have only have the smaller retainer next to the split ring and only the stem nut compressing against the packing .... both also leak. My 220's all have the two retainers.
Does your packing go inside the valve assembly or mash against the outer surface?
Toby Garner, from SW Missouri
ICCC #1939
MYN927
Serious Colemanaholic

Post by MYN927 »

I guess by the larger ring, you meant the brass plunger located between the stem nut and the packing? There's certainly one on the 237 so there should also be on a 236.
Sometimes I find that the plunger would appear blackish and somewhat 'stuck' to the packing, making it look like the packing itself.
The outer end of the plunger should be protruding from the valve body when you remove the stem nut. Otherwise, I'd say its lost.
Madcap

Post by Madcap »

In reference to the very first initial post above - the larger retainer ring that's between the nut and packing is what appears missing on both my 236's. I know the retainers can almost blend in with the graphite and appear missing but that isn't the case with the larger retainer ring.

As a point of interest - "King Coleman" posts excellent YouTube videos and mentioned that some of the 236's didn't have the larger retainer ring so I don't know what to think. I've reinstalled my 236 stem several times with the proper sequence of split ring, narrow retainer, packing and nut.The stem remains very loose despite how tight the nut is turned down. I can't understand how the stem could be firmly secure without the larger ring to stabilize it and prevent leakage.
Dick
Mill Spec-Ops #0345
MYN927
Serious Colemanaholic

Post by MYN927 »

If there's no larger ring/plunger, then the graphite packing would need to be at least, long enough to protrude from the valve body and in physical contact with the 'stopping end' of the nut while you're tightening it.
Otherwise, you're not compressing the packing at all.