220 kero conversion

Post your tech questions here, lots of knowledge available.
Leadfoot

220 kero conversion

Post by Leadfoot »

I am having some trouble with a 220f I converted to kero. I’ve switched the tip and cleaning rod of the generator down one size to that of a 200a generator as per the conversion topic.
With my own homemade preheat cup running denatured alcohol I can get it to light but I am left with a fire ball that never will end up with a glowing mantle. The lantern is fully cleaned with no air tube restrictions but I can’t get the thing to properly lite. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.
FAS #022 Confusing Future Generations of Collectors, One Lantern at a Time!
Leadfoot

Re: 220 kero conversion

Post by Leadfoot »

I ended up figuring it out. Apparently this lantern did not take kindly to my homemade copper wire generator packing as per the salvaging a generator thread. I swapped the 200a tip and air rod to another 220 generator I had with the stock spring and the cardboard removed and with a preheat it runs no problem.
zoomkat
Super Colemanaholic

Post by zoomkat »

"I ended up figuring it out. Apparently this lantern did not take kindly to my homemade copper wire generator packing as per the salvaging a generator thread. I swapped the 200a tip and air rod to another 220 generator I had with the stock spring and the cardboard removed and with a preheat it runs no problem."

Maybe that is nature telling you to closely evaluate parts hacks posted in the forum. A 220F will probably run just fine with a stock generator, preheat cup, and startup method adjusted..
Tgarner01
Super Colemanaholic

Post by Tgarner01 »

zoomkat wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 10:35 pm
Maybe that is nature telling you to closely evaluate parts hacks posted in the forum.
For those that don't know... This is called irony....
Toby Garner, from SW Missouri
ICCC #1939
Ridge Runner
Super Colemanaholic

Post by Ridge Runner »

Leadfoot wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 10:16 pm I ended up figuring it out. Apparently this lantern did not take kindly to my homemade copper wire generator packing as per the salvaging a generator thread. I swapped the 200a tip and air rod to another 220 generator I had with the stock spring and the cardboard removed and with a preheat it runs no problem.
Hi there! Glad to see you were able to get your F up and running on kerosene.

Sometimes it takes a little tinkering to get a conversion tuned in. Certain models take to the switch-over better than others, and even two of the same model can have their differences. That’s what keeps it interesting 🙂

I like that you made your own preheat cup, what did you end up using for materials?

By the way, welcome to the CCF!
— L.J.
In the foothills of the Berkshires, Western Massachusetts

Wanted: Anything January 1925 from the U.S.
I love the smell of naphtha in the morning!
"Ain’t no need to watch where I’m goin’; just need to know where I’ve been" -Tow Mater
Leadfoot

Post by Leadfoot »

Thanks Ridge Runner!

For the preheat cup I ended up using a 1 inch copper cap. I drilled an off center hole, and soldered in a piece of copper pipe that I had on hand that just fit over the generator.

I still need to figure something out to make sure the cup doesn't slide up the generator and hit the mantles if the lantern gets tipped or jostled and clean the soot off the top half of the air tube assembly, but I'm just glad the thing works for now.
Ridge Runner
Super Colemanaholic

Post by Ridge Runner »

Leadfoot wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 1:58 pm Thanks Ridge Runner!

For the preheat cup I ended up using a 1 inch copper cap. I drilled an off center hole, and soldered in a piece of copper pipe that I had on hand that just fit over the generator.

I still need to figure something out to make sure the cup doesn't slide up the generator and hit the mantles if the lantern gets tipped or jostled and clean the soot off the top half of the air tube assembly, but I'm just glad the thing works for now.
Good work on the DIY p-cup.

Take a look at your local hardware stores/farm supply for one of these:

Everyone seems to call them something a little different--hitch pin clip, hair pin clip. They come in some small sizes that should fit the generator tube thereby preventing your p-cup from crashing into the mantles.
— L.J.
In the foothills of the Berkshires, Western Massachusetts

Wanted: Anything January 1925 from the U.S.
I love the smell of naphtha in the morning!
"Ain’t no need to watch where I’m goin’; just need to know where I’ve been" -Tow Mater
Hot_Diggity
Super Colemanaholic

Post by Hot_Diggity »

Hey Leadfoot, I'm sure the regulars here are tired of hearing me say this, but elevation matters. That's why the tuning is required. At 338', not so much as 3800, but enough to make a difference.

I call those clips clevis pin clips. They work great.
Chuck, 3/61, ICCC 1689
Milspec Syndicate #510
Coleman 275 Appreciation Syndicate #0510
Coleman Quick Lite Crew #12
BernzOmatic Appreciation Club #510
Coleman Slant Saver #510
Frank Appreciation Syndicate Member #2
Tinker, Toy maker, Trash picker, Wickie, Lamp loon
Aljo

Post by Aljo »

So will most of the lanterns/stoves run on kerosene without mods, other than a pre-heat cup?
So high altitude will affect a conversion.
Do any run a blend of kero and white gas? Is there an advantage?
Seven-three
Looking for a 12/67 birth-year 200A
Hot_Diggity
Super Colemanaholic

Post by Hot_Diggity »

This is the problem with older kerosene in a GPA, or any mantle lamp. Mantles start looking like a Brindle pup or calico cat. Either way, it isn't pretty.

black spot.jpg

In a GPA, you can simply add 20-30% white gas to the older kerosene and it will clear the black spots off the mantles in a couple hours and run just fine. As you might expect, this will make lighting a little easier as well. Since you can't safely mix white gas with kerosene in non-pressurized mantle lamps, save the old kerosene for Rayo's and flat wick lamps, or the HGP.

Elevation and temperature affects combustion. My average preheat time with a kerosene lamp is about 15 seconds. I'm at 9' above sea level with an average temperature of around 75 degrees. I might get three or four colder days in the winter, but rarely need to use a full preheat cup of DNA.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Chuck, 3/61, ICCC 1689
Milspec Syndicate #510
Coleman 275 Appreciation Syndicate #0510
Coleman Quick Lite Crew #12
BernzOmatic Appreciation Club #510
Coleman Slant Saver #510
Frank Appreciation Syndicate Member #2
Tinker, Toy maker, Trash picker, Wickie, Lamp loon