Generator Rehab

Post your tech questions here, lots of knowledge available.
LanternWerks74

Generator Rehab

Post by LanternWerks74 »

Hi Gang,

Came across a generator which has some slight thread damage, the cap wont “start” as the very first thread is folded a bit. I want to be industrious here and use a die to cut/clean the thread and see if I cam salvage this part & hone a skill in the process. I have a thread gauge & it appears to be a 32 Fine. I don’t know how to read the diameter of the pipe & apply that to the correct die.
Can someone help me with this?

I have some dies, all too small. I need to source one for the job, but not sure how to go about making sure I have the correct fit.

I have measured the diameter of the pipe, which appears to be .3785 inch (3/8)

Having never shopped for a die (or cut threads) I am now in the weeds and require a bit of machinist guidance.

Jeff
Jeff

firelight will not let you read fine stories, but it's warm and you don't see the dust on the floor      

Irish Proverb
Mister_Wilson
Super Colemanaholic

Re: Generator Rehab

Post by Mister_Wilson »

I’m guessing a suitcase stove generator?
John
H.C. Lanterns dealer
Coleman 275 Appreciation Syndicate #2001 A Turd's Odyssey
Canadian Blues #028
Coleman Slant Saver #31
Looking for 6-56 and 6-58 Birthday lanterns.
There's been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about.
zoomkat
Super Colemanaholic

Post by zoomkat »

"Came across a generator which has some slight thread damage, the cap wont “start” as the very first thread is folded a bit."

From a practical stand point, carefully dressing away the side of the folded thread with a needle file might be the way to go. It would be the same as using a die to remove the fold, and you would probably have better control of the operation.
LanternWerks74

Post by LanternWerks74 »

Yes, looks like the beefier 3 burner type of genny. It doesn’t mate with the stoves I have (all 2 burners). Not sure how it ended up in my extras stash.

Needle file is a good suggestion, I may go that route.
Jeff

firelight will not let you read fine stories, but it's warm and you don't see the dust on the floor      

Irish Proverb
Deanofid

Post by Deanofid »

I would try a triangle needle file too, or get a thread restoring file that includes 32 tpi. Those files are only about 15 bucks, and will clean up a thread nicely.
Just FYI, a thread restoring file usually has eight different thread counts. Just make sure the one you buy includes the 32 tpi thread.
The thread restoring file looks like a square piece of steel with a different thread pitch on each side and each end of the file. Each thread file will work for eight different threads, and it doesn't matter the diameter of the thread you want to restore. A thread is a thread, in this case.
Dean -Midnight Kerosene Ritualist--Deans Machine:  Deansmachine.com  
ICCC #1220.   275 commiseration #0018.
"In Him was life, and His life was the Light of men."  John 1:4
Cottage_hill_bill
Serious Colemanaholic

Post by Cottage_hill_bill »

Listen to Dean. Here's a couple of thread files from my tool box. You can see the TPI stamps. These guys have saved my bacon more times than I can count.
PXL_20211015_115200614.jpg
PXL_20211015_115213463.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Reese
North West Florida

Reese’s Law of Thermodynamics:  At temperatures below incandescence hot metal looks exactly like cold metal.