Handy Gas Plant Label

Post your tech questions here, lots of knowledge available.
ossodiseppia

Handy Gas Plant Label

Post by ossodiseppia »

EDIT: I am interested in pictures of original labels not recreations.

A friend has asked me to produce a graphics file for his 457G label. His 457G has the blue/white label. Most of the detail is missing but I should be able to get the dimensional data I need from it when I get my hands on it.

If anyone has a 457G like the one on the left in the picture below, I would be grateful for some high quality pictures of the label.

If you can help, I will PM my email address. Thank you,

Brian
Last edited by ossodiseppia on Sat Jun 18, 2022 7:06 pm, edited 2 times in total.
rainjer

Re: Handy Gas Plant Label

Post by rainjer »

Try this one. I produce this from a photo of a NOS decal. Took me about 30 hours....
HGP decal 1.0 [800x600].jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by rainjer on Sun Dec 19, 2021 4:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ossodiseppia

Post by ossodiseppia »

Thanks, Rainjer. That's a nice looking decal. I prefer to do my own work and not copy the efforts of others. I am looking for pictures of originals.
10gage
Super Colemanaholic

Post by 10gage »

Can’t say it’s any better than what you have but here’s mine.
DE7BAA60-FD59-4A2F-8D9E-0EF5CBC1C04D.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
James gage sizemore
milspec syndicate #1941
slant savers #68
quicklite crew#43
Coleman blues 243s #167
Whitegas Extraordinaire
Super Colemanaholic

Post by Whitegas Extraordinaire »

rainjer wrote: Fri Dec 17, 2021 5:47 am Try this one. I produce this for a photo of a NOS decal. Took me about 30 hours....

HGP decal 1.0 [800x600].jpg
Thank you for sharing!!!
Thank you!
Kevin

(The Dude from Rottenchester)

To me a lamp without a shade is creepy!

After awhile, you can work on points for style!

ICCC # 1865
Northman49
Super Colemanaholic

Post by Northman49 »

What are the actual dimensions of the decal?
She was only a moonshiner's daughter, but I loved her still.

I keep my tools sharp...but my mind sharper!
  Ed
                 ICCC no.1880
                 CANADIAN BLUES Member #023

Mil-spec ops #1982
ossodiseppia

Post by ossodiseppia »

Looking for more pictures, please.

I've found some 460G labels that are very similar. The interesting thing is that the large "Coleman" logo is different on each of the labels. One font matches the font on the one I want to replicate.

Can anyone comment on the approximate production dates of either? Thank you.
rainjer

Post by rainjer »

this was the NOS decal I used as a template for mine.
HGP decal original.jpg
ossodiseppia

Post by ossodiseppia »

Thank you for the picture, rainjer. The forum software requires small images. Would you be kind enough to email your original picture to me? I'll PM my email address.

Also, do you have the contact information for the person who owns the stove in the picture?

Thank you.

Brian
Rhubarb
Serious Colemanaholic
Title: The Pie Plant

Post by Rhubarb »

Jer sent me a copy of his label, It's very nice.

Here's another version that I got from Fred K.
457G HGP.jpg
  Image- Andy
ossodiseppia

Post by ossodiseppia »

Hey folks, I am still looking for pictures of labels. My search has found some subtle differences in the labels. My thought is that there were changes to the labels during the production run of these stoves.

The image that @Rhubarb posted is more than likely from a stove made after 1945. In 1945, the company changed it's name to "The Coleman Company, Inc." Prior to that, the company was called "The Coleman Lamp and Stove Company".
Coleman Logo2.jpg
I've also noticed that the font used for the model number is different on two of the labels I have pictures of. The one @Rhubarb shared is more of a block letter and the model number on the one that @rainjer shared has one that is more like a font found on a typewriter.
Model Number Fonts.jpg
There are some other subtle differences I am noticing on labels but don't have detailed pictures to help figure that out. I would like to gather as much information on them as possible. Thank you!
ossodiseppia

Post by ossodiseppia »

I've gotten a really good start on the label. Andy's jpeg was a godsend. I use Adobe Illustrator to do my drafting. Andy's jpeg got edited so as to be a bit darker. In Illustrator, I trace over the graphics and add the text. The smaller text are from fonts I found online and edited to match what is on the label. The "Coleman" logo was drawn by hand.
457G 1945.jpg
It's tedious work and very time consuming. But, it's worth the investment of time.

My friend sent me the tank and it arrived yesterday. Man that thing is huge! As you can see, the label is in poor condition, but there is enough of it left to help me check my work.
IMG_20220103_153021.jpg
I printed out my file on my twenty plus year old B&W laser printer to check my work. I folded the print in several areas to hold up to the original label.
IMG_20220103_153311.jpg
IMG_20220103_153319.jpg
IMG_20220103_153447.jpg
IMG_20220103_153547.jpg
IMG_20220103_153252.jpg
I am very happy with the way it looks compared to the original. I need to place the correct company name along the bottom as my friend's tank seems to be one made before the name change in 1945.
IMG_20220103_153707.jpg
The next challenge will be to find two colors that somewhat match the original color. The printer I use can make something they call a swatch. The swatch will have about 60 different variations of a single color so that I can pick what I feel is the best match.
458G from eBay.jpg
Jaymarchant1

Post by Jaymarchant1 »

Hello everyone… how does one go about getting one of these original decals for my Gas Plant restoration? Thanks for the help?

Jay ICCC #2127
ossodiseppia

Post by ossodiseppia »

Jay,

You'll need to contact member @rainjer. He's got some for sale.

Did your HGP have anything left of a label?

Brian
rainjer

Post by rainjer »

ossodiseppia wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 11:59 pm Jay,

You'll need to contact member @rainjer. He's got some for sale.

Did your HGP have anything left of a label?

Brian
No I don't. Stopped making decals 4-5 years ago..... Not worth my time. I would spend 20-30 hours reproducing a decal to sell 2 for $3.00 each.....

Jeremy
ossodiseppia

Post by ossodiseppia »

Jeremy,

I am sorry to hear that you are no longer providing the decals or stickers for the HGPs. I understand the frustration of putting forth all of that effort for little to no return.

While searching for information on these labels, I have run across many for other vintage Coleman products, but really nothing for the HGPs except what you have provided. I would be more than happy to pick up where you have left off.

This project for my friend has created mental stimulation for me. My desire to create the "prefect" label for him will benefit others at some time in the future. For me, it's just not about the money, its more about the challenge and creativity.

All of that said, I would very much appreciate getting my hands on the original jpeg of the 458G label that you posted in this thread. The images that are posted here are very small and do not provide the level of detail that I need for my work. So, if you are willing to help, I can PM my email address to you.

Thank you.

Brian
Seansmithwfd

Post by Seansmithwfd »

Brian let me know how you pan out with this project. I just picked up two 457g and headmaster that all need new labels
ossodiseppia

Post by ossodiseppia »

I picked up the labels today. I could not be happier with the results. I feel I got pretty lucky with the color choices. Best of all, the offset portion of the lettering came out as I had hoped.

I got a chuckle while drafting these up. The word "particularly" was misspelled on two of these labels. So, I misspelled it as well.
HGP 457G F301-3M 3-40.jpg
HGP 457G No Date.jpg
HGP 457G 1945 on.jpg
The drafting department at Coleman used several different fonts on these labels. It drove me crazy trying to source the correct fonts.
Close Up1.jpg
Close Up2.jpg
Close Up3.jpg
Close Up4.jpg
I decided to print a swatch of several colors, just in case my first attempt was not right. I feel comfortable with the choices I made.
rob_pontius
Super Colemanaholic

Post by rob_pontius »

Those look great. I wish that I had the talent to do things like that.
Rob
ossodiseppia

Post by ossodiseppia »

Thank you, Rob. I am not a graphic artist. I've taught myself how to use Adobe Illustrator so I could create the necessary stickers and decals for my vintage Alfa Romeo. It's been a lot of fun researching and documenting them.

When my buddy asked me to make some of these up for him, I just could not resist the challenge. It's been a lot of fun. And, I've picked up a few more Illustrator skills in the process.
ossodiseppia

Post by ossodiseppia »

Here are some pictures of my latest creation. I tweaked the colours a bit and am even happier with the results. I bought a 458 earlier this year because it has a really nice label on it. Although the label states it is a 458, it has a grate on it. So, it's anybody's guess how it left the factory.

This label is the only one I've seen that does not have the yellow/orange offset printed text on it.

rob_pontius
Super Colemanaholic

Post by rob_pontius »

Very cool. I wish that I had that kind of talent.
Rob
Rfieldbuilds
Serious Colemanaholic

Post by Rfieldbuilds »

I’d be interested in purchasing some of these labels if you will have any for sale.
Randy
QL #15, Slant Saver #59, #0269 Turd Hurdler, #0269 Mil Spec Syndicate, Coleman Blues 243 #0269, BernzOmatic Appreciation Club #072, Sears Traveler 2.0 Host #1, and a few others too.
ossodiseppia

Post by ossodiseppia »

rob_pontius wrote: Tue Apr 26, 2022 11:28 pmVery cool. I wish that I had that kind of talent.
Thank you, Rob.
Rfieldbuilds wrote: Wed Apr 27, 2022 12:40 pm I’d be interested in purchasing some of these labels if you will have any for sale.
Hi Randy, thank you for your interest. A couple of other folks expressed interest in these labels. I would be happy to have some extra printed. The printer screwed up some of these labels. So, I'm waiting on them to get done.
Rfieldbuilds
Serious Colemanaholic

Post by Rfieldbuilds »

ossodiseppia wrote: Wed Apr 27, 2022 10:12 pm
rob_pontius wrote: Tue Apr 26, 2022 11:28 pmVery cool. I wish that I had that kind of talent.
Thank you, Rob.
Rfieldbuilds wrote: Wed Apr 27, 2022 12:40 pm I’d be interested in purchasing some of these labels if you will have any for sale.
Hi Randy, thank you for your interest. A couple of other folks expressed interest in these labels. I would be happy to have some extra printed. The printer screwed up some of these labels. So, I'm waiting on them to get done.
Ok great. Thank You!
Randy
QL #15, Slant Saver #59, #0269 Turd Hurdler, #0269 Mil Spec Syndicate, Coleman Blues 243 #0269, BernzOmatic Appreciation Club #072, Sears Traveler 2.0 Host #1, and a few others too.
Jeremy_71

Post by Jeremy_71 »

Has anyone reproduced the Heat master decal. I am in need of one
Jeremy Mitchell

"If you don't learn something everyday...You have wasted the day" 
my Grandfather

Mil Spec Syndicate #2115
Coleman Blues 243’s #2115
StanDahl
Super Colemanaholic

Post by StanDahl »

Those really look great! I'd like to get one for my Model 575, but I know I won't be able to get myself to redo it and make it look new. "Particularly" is spelled correctly on mine, that's about the only word I can still make out besides the "Coleman".
John - ICCC Petty Bureaucrat #CMLXII...
ossodiseppia

Post by ossodiseppia »

Jeremy_71 wrote: Thu May 26, 2022 12:37 amHas anyone reproduced the Heat master decal. I am in need of one
Hi @Jeremy_71, I have been working on the yellow/red graphics. I have been able to match all of the fonts. Unfortunately, I do not have the dimensional data I need to create the label. I have asked a couple of folks for tracings of their original stickers, but still don't have them. Everyone is busy with their lives so, I don't pester to get the tracings. :-)

StanDahl wrote: Thu May 26, 2022 2:29 amThose really look great! I'd like to get one for my Model 575, but I know I won't be able to get myself to redo it and make it look new. "Particularly" is spelled correctly on mine, that's about the only word I can still make out besides the "Coleman".
Thank you, @StanDahl. I have only seen one picture of a 575 and it was missing the label. If you would be willing to take some pictures of whatever is left of the label on your HGP, it would be most helpful. The more documentation I get, the more templates I am able to create for these labels. I'll PM my email address so you can email me some nice large files. I may or may not have enough documentation to create a label for you. MY preference is not to make something up but to create an accurate representation.
Rfieldbuilds
Serious Colemanaholic

Post by Rfieldbuilds »

Sorry to hear those other sources did not come through. I’ll pester the Colorado guy, and if I trip over mine, be sure and set it aside when I am back in town can get you measurements.
Randy
Northman49
Super Colemanaholic

Post by Northman49 »

deleted
Last edited by Northman49 on Thu May 26, 2022 2:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ed
                 ICCC no.1880

Mil-spec ops #1982
ossodiseppia

Post by ossodiseppia »

Ed, think it's great that you have recreated one of the HGP labels, and are offering to help out fellow owners. I consider it bad forum etiquette to advertise one of your labels in my thread.
ossodiseppia

Post by ossodiseppia »

Rfieldbuilds wrote: Thu May 26, 2022 12:36 pmSorry to hear those other sources did not come through. I’ll pester the Colorado guy, and if I trip over mine, be sure and set it aside when I am back in town can get you measurements.
Hi Randy,

Steve Wehausen and I have been in contact and he was able to provide pictures of what I needed But, I've not heard from your friend in Colorado. It's really no big deal. We are all busy with things that are much more important. I know I will eventually get the information I need. Thanks for the reply.
Rfieldbuilds
Serious Colemanaholic

Post by Rfieldbuilds »

ossodiseppia wrote: Thu May 26, 2022 1:33 pm Ed, think it's great that you have recreated one of the HGP labels, and are offering to help out fellow owners. I consider it bad forum etiquette to advertise one of your labels in my thread.
I agree 100%. I’m not sure how this concept could even be considered a good idea. It is sort of a trigger point for me, because I see a lot of unapologetic hijackings in classifieds and have been victim myself to the practice.
Randy
Northman49
Super Colemanaholic

Post by Northman49 »

I apologize and retract my post.

Ed
                 ICCC no.1880

Mil-spec ops #1982
ossodiseppia

Post by ossodiseppia »

Northman49 wrote: Thu May 26, 2022 2:11 pmI apologize and retract my post.
No problem. Thank you for your understanding.
Chucker

Post by Chucker »

Just another day on the forum. Thanks, guys, for cleaning that up. Life is good again.

Chuck as Mod
Chuck
"...“Those that can give up essential liberty to gain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.” Ben Franklin"

Eye-SEE-C-C Member #1333 -- MilSpecOps #003
"Michigan - from the Ojibwa word “meicigama,” meaning “great water.”
StanDahl
Super Colemanaholic

Post by StanDahl »

My 575 label is completely useless...
575 Label 2 copy.JPG
ossodiseppia

Post by ossodiseppia »

@StanDahl,

Thank you for posting that image. Unfortunately, it is too small for me to see anything. I messaged you yesterday with my email address. Did you get it?
StanDahl
Super Colemanaholic

Post by StanDahl »

Yes, but I mistakenly trashed it thinking it was just another response notification. I've responded.
ossodiseppia

Post by ossodiseppia »

John, thanks for the email. The label is not entirely useless. There is enough of it left that I can tell from the fonts which label style is could be. Maybe we'll get lucky and someone else with a 575 will pop up.
zoomkat
Super Colemanaholic

Post by zoomkat »

Nice looking labels!
ossodiseppia

Post by ossodiseppia »

I finally got a picture of my friend's restored HGP. It is a trailer queen and will never get fired up. He has a second one for that purpose.

RR_RES
Colemanaholic

Post by RR_RES »

Jeremy_71 wrote: Thu May 26, 2022 12:37 am Has anyone reproduced the Heat master decal. I am in need of one
Here's a jpeg I made for the heatmaster decal. The decal on my HGP was pretty much destroyed so I based the graphic off of Bill McCall's "Handy Gas Plant" graphic, then modified it. It's 7 inches wide.

***Photo removed***
Last edited by RR_RES on Fri Jun 17, 2022 1:25 am, edited 2 times in total.
ossodiseppia

Post by ossodiseppia »

RR_RES wrote: Thu Jun 16, 2022 3:35 am
Jeremy_71 wrote: Thu May 26, 2022 12:37 am Has anyone reproduced the Heat master decal. I am in need of one
Here's a jpeg I made for the heatmaster decal. The decal on my HGP was pretty much destroyed so I based the graphic off of Bill McCall's "Handy Gas Plant" graphic, then modified it. It's 7 inches wide.
@RR_RES, this is considered bad forum etiquette. It is a thread I started where I am showcasing my efforts.

Please remove your post. If you would like to share you work, start a thread. Thank you.
Last edited by ossodiseppia on Fri Jun 17, 2022 11:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RR_RES
Colemanaholic

Post by RR_RES »

Sorry, I didn't mean to undercut your efforts. You do great work. I thought this was the "help" section of the forum and we're here to share ideas.

The classified section is a different story. If you offered these decals for sale in the classifieds and I posted my version of it in your thread, then that would be bad etiquette, IMO.

I removed the photo from my previous post.

Keep doing what you do. I know a little about using graphic programs but I'm not an expert on it. I have no plans of selling decals. I'm sure your version of the label will come out much better. I got the dimensions of the label from a decal maker and a member here. If you still need measurements, it's 5.25 inches tall x 7 inches wide. Take it or leave it.
Rfieldbuilds
Serious Colemanaholic

Post by Rfieldbuilds »

I got a few of these HGP labels from OP and Im really happy with them. They met or exceeded expectations, and are well worth the price.
Thanks so much!
Randy
ossodiseppia

Post by ossodiseppia »

RR_RES wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 1:18 am Sorry, I didn't mean to undercut your efforts. You do great work. I thought this was the "help" section of the forum and we're here to share ideas.

The classified section is a different story. If you offered these decals for sale in the classifieds and I posted my version of it in your thread, then that would be bad etiquette, IMO.

I removed the photo from my previous post.

Keep doing what you do. I know a little about using graphic programs but I'm not an expert on it. I have no plans of selling decals. I'm sure your version of the label will come out much better. I got the dimensions of the label from a decal maker and a member here. If you still need measurements, it's 5.25 inches tall x 7 inches wide. Take it or leave it.
No muss, no fuss. Thank you for understanding.

You are right in that this is not a classified ad, but, it is where I am getting data and showcasing my work. Showcasing my work generates interest for the stickers I've made.

As for your work, it looks really really good. You seemed to have figured out the right fonts to use. Kudos to you for your great work.
Rfieldbuilds wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 3:23 pm I got a few of these HGP labels from OP and Im really happy with them. They met or exceeded expectations, and are well worth the price.
Thanks so much!
Thank you, Randy.
ossodiseppia

Post by ossodiseppia »

Hey folks, it has been brought to my attention that my original post was a bit ambiguous. When I posted, I did not see it as being that way and felt my request was clear.

When I asked some of you to remove your posts, it created some misunderstanding. For that, I am very sorry. I have edited my original post so that it is a bit more clear what I am needing.

Thank you.