228E Questions: Check Valve?

Post your tech questions here, lots of knowledge available.
Rattlebone54

228E Questions: Check Valve?

Post by Rattlebone54 »

Gentlepersons: This needs many pumps after lighting to maintain brightness. It will take pumps yet you can hear air escape unless you quickly turn pump level clockwise...Took and used Carb Cleaner, over night into tube. Used Seafoam another overnight. Interesting is to see bubbles belching occasionally from valve whether there is no pressure or a few pumps! During these soaks, I used a soft wood and could actuate the valve open and closed. Fount has rust flakes, was rinsed until came out clear.
1) What should I do now?
2) Anyone have a valve removal too for sale? (none here OCP).
3) Anyone have a 288E Check valve for sale? (None here OCP)
4) Does anyone fix these where I could possible send this one?
This is in nice condition otherwise, and does light and stay illuminated, but maybe only 10 minutes, then needs many more pumps!

Thank You all for any help...again...and...again!!!
Rattlebone54
JimL
Super Colemanaholic

Re: 228E Questions: Check Valve?

Post by JimL »

Your profile doesn't list where you live, but if in the US, see if there's a gathering coming up near you. I'm sure someone there would have the tool and likely someone will have a spare used check valve for little to no money.
-Jim

Flammable liquids, open flame, what could go wrong?

Invest now, or you'll miss your chance to lose everything!
Rustytank
Super Colemanaholic

Post by Rustytank »

If you're close I'll come by the house and we'll straighten it out for you.
Call me Rusty
Coleman Blues 243's #175
Sunflame appreciation club #2
275 Appreciation Syndicate #0245
Looking for birthday lanterns 11/58, 3/68, 3/73, 6/85, 11/96, 6/97, 11/97, 12/00

Thy word is a lamp unto my feet, and a light unto my path. - Psalm 119:105.
Majicwrench
Super Colemanaholic

Post by Majicwrench »

You should be able to turn air stem clockwise and it should run fine for a long time. If it won't something is leaking...have you changed the cap gasket?

The check valve will leak a bit, that is not a problem. That's what the air stem is for...to make it airtight.
Keith
Deansierras220

Post by Deansierras220 »

If the check valve is leaking badly I doubt you are getting enough pressure into the fount to run the lantern. I have had good luck pouring vinegar into the tube and leaving it for a day or two, if that doesn't work I have also used boiling citric acid solution the same way. I've never had to replace a check valve, hope you get it straightened out.
Jared Dean
Gateway to the Sierras
Rattlebone54

Post by Rattlebone54 »

JIML: Im in Colorado Springs!
RUSTYTANK: I would be happy to meet you!!!
MAJICWRENCH: I have to pump fast as air gushes out of the center tube of the pump stem! Is your last name polish??? Joke!
DEANSIERRAS220: It belches from the center, this when I do not have the stem in! I went to Lundy Lake annually, since I was 10y.o.! When they were paving the Tioga Pass, I believe. Vinegar is the idea to loosen the valve then? Or rust inhibitor? I've so far used CF, and Seafoam. I do have to pump fast to contain what air the valve will keep in the fount!
Rattlebone54
Deansierras220

Post by Deansierras220 »

Rattlebone54 wrote: Fri Jun 24, 2022 1:48 am JIML: Im in Colorado Springs!
RUSTYTANK: I would be happy to meet you!!!
MAJICWRENCH: I have to pump fast as air gushes out of the center tube of the pump stem! Is your last name polish??? Joke!
DEANSIERRAS220: It belches from the center, this when I do not have the stem in! I went to Lundy Lake annually, since I was 10y.o.! When they were paving the Tioga Pass, I believe. Vinegar is the idea to loosen the valve then? Or rust inhibitor? I've so far used CF, and Seafoam. I do have to pump fast to contain what air the valve will keep in the fount!
I'm not sure of the science but Vinegar has worked for me on a lot of check valves that were leaking like that, give it a shot.
Jared Dean
Gateway to the Sierras
JimL
Super Colemanaholic

Post by JimL »

Of all my lanterns, I've only had one truly bad check valve that needed replacing. I haven't found an oil to make a difference, but only use carb cleaner. For a really stuck one, I remove the fuel cap and put enough carb cleaner in the pump to let it drain through the ball and fill that chamber below and up to above the check valve. I will then replace the cap and hold the fount in my hands. This will build enough pressure to force the carb cleaner up through the check valve. I then put it down a few minutes and the fount cooling will draw it back in. Basically, I'm flushing it back and forth, albeit slowly. Sometimes when the check ball is stuck and after this initial cleaning, I'll pump up the lantern and whack the fount with my palm and that will allow the ball to move and stop the air. I repeat this until I no longer hear the click of the check valve ball seating and I know it's now good.

Alternatively, if you can get someone to remove the check valve, a shot of carb cleaner through both ends tends to resolve it immediately.
-Jim

Flammable liquids, open flame, what could go wrong?

Invest now, or you'll miss your chance to lose everything!
Rattlebone54

Post by Rattlebone54 »

DEAN: Yes, will try vinegar! thank You
JIML: Will try your suggestions on "spanking my fount"! It pumps up as long as I can hold thumb over the hole in the plunger and quickly close it clockwise to entrap pressure. Know anyone who may accept my 288E for this replacement? Thank You!
Rattlebone54
Rustytank
Super Colemanaholic

Post by Rustytank »

Rattlebone Colorado Springs is a bit far from Tanyard Springs so I'm not sure when I'll get by there lol. But if you ever find yourself coming to eastern Middle Tennessee be sure to holler!

I'll say this on the check valve tools. I have the one from Old Coleman parts and it is dandy. Volvoguy on here has one from one of the ebay sellers. I have handled and used both and believe the one from OCP is worth waiting on.
Call me Rusty
Coleman Blues 243's #175
Sunflame appreciation club #2
275 Appreciation Syndicate #0245
Looking for birthday lanterns 11/58, 3/68, 3/73, 6/85, 11/96, 6/97, 11/97, 12/00

Thy word is a lamp unto my feet, and a light unto my path. - Psalm 119:105.
Volvoguy

Post by Volvoguy »

An eBay seller is selling the double sided tool, but when it's all said and done (shipping and tax), it comes out to a little over $50.00. I need to sell off some plain 220s before doing that..There are some sellers that sell a single ended large slot, and a single ended small slot. I have the single ended large slot.

Also worth noting that it seems the OCP tool does not fit the 222.

I quit trying to clean check valves while in the lanterns, it never works for me for some reason but others have just fine results. Now I use Panchos method of pulling, heating to red hot/ close, then quenching in citric.

Also if the valve breaks, I have removed a few with the easy-out kit harbor freight has. It is NOT fun, but can be done. I have to use a socket set to get the easy-out to bite and pull the valve out.
mikewells
Colemanaholic

Post by mikewells »

OCP will have tools in stock in about 10 Days.
Mike Wells
E Bay user name whitegas5152
ICCC # 1038
Majicwrench
Super Colemanaholic

Post by Majicwrench »

I've only had one check valve that wouldn't clean up in the tube.............and it was missing the check ball. That lantern would still pump up and run, you just barely loosened air stem and pump like mad.
Keith
Rattlebone54

Post by Rattlebone54 »

RUSTYTANK: Love that Tennessee, 2021!!! Last month went to Kentucky: loved it there also! Just hoping for a longer growing season and a bit more land also. Found it affordable in KY. Property taxes aren't as high here in CO as Tenn and KY, which is a concern! I WILL WAIT FOR OCP TO HAVE!!! Thank You!
VOLVOGUY: Sorry to hear of your experiences about check removal...I'm thinking this 228E is nice enough to use often so may just buy the tool! BTW: A 1979 Volvo SAVED MY LIFE! Therefore have gotten 5, older 240's/740's/940's for my family, my current is 1991 Gold 740!!! Needless I love the old ones!
MIKEWELLS: Hello: Is it possible to let me know of availability? I also have a cart for items so far.Thank You!
MAJIC: I can actually actuate the check ball and spring using a tiny hardwood "stick". Used Carb clean and press valve often to wash around the ball! Carb fluid in the tube filled half-way, drains out into tank after 2+ hours!
Rattlebone54
Majicwrench
Super Colemanaholic

Post by Majicwrench »

There is no spring in check valve.

It takes two hours for the carb cleaner to drain into tank?? There is nothing wrong with your check valve then.
Keith
Rattlebone54

Post by Rattlebone54 »

NO SPRING REALLY? Then what keeps it in the closed position? I must hurriedly pump and quickly turn pump clockwise to keep air from escaping from the tube! You can hear it escape! Lantern requires numerous pumps to sustain burning! Burns maybe 10 minutes, then needs pumping! Air leaks from the pump tube center!!!
Rattlebone54
zoomkat
Super Colemanaholic

Post by zoomkat »

"Burns maybe 10 minutes, then needs pumping! Air leaks from the pump tube center!!!"

Does it leak when the pump needle valve is closed? If it does not leak after the needle valve is closed, then you probably have an air leak elsewhere, possibly the fuel cap gasket.
Rattlebone54

Post by Rattlebone54 »

Gotcha ZOOMCAT: Actually overnight added carb fluid into the pump bung, and it had not lost any fluid as I could tell!
Rattlebone54