Model 2 questions - paint? stencil?

Post your tech questions here, lots of knowledge available.
Jack Bonham

Model 2 questions - paint? stencil?

Post by Jack Bonham »

I have a model 2 of my grandad's and I've got it running thanks to your help. Now I think I'd like to make it look good. It's almost completely disassembled. I've pulled the hinge pins as much as possible to get the oven taken apart.

Questions about paint. What do I use? High heat I presume but I can only find this in flat black and I think the originals were gloss.

Also, any idea where I might get a stencil? "Coleman". "patent app'd for"

I'm also confused by the model number - the tag says "model 2" but I think there are 2B,C,D etc.

Thanks for any ideas.

Jack
Gunhippie
Super Colemanaholic

Re: Model 2 questions - paint? stencil?

Post by Gunhippie »

Pictures would be very helpful.

High-temp and Very-High Temp paints are available in most hardware stores, but are in the automotive section, not the paint section. If you still can't find them, the internet is your friend. VHT is a popular brand, but Rustoleum Very High Temp 2,000 is just as good if not better, and cheaper.
It's priceless until someone puts a price on it.
Walk a mile in a man's shoes before you criticize him--then you're a mile away, and he has no shoes.
Texan's last words: "Y'all--hold my beer--I wanta' try sumptin'."
Timm--Middle of nowhere, near the end of the road, Oregon.
Coldwaterpaddler
Super Colemanaholic

Post by Coldwaterpaddler »

Jack Bonham wrote: Sat Aug 06, 2022 12:00 am I have a model 2 of my grandad's and I've got it running thanks to your help. Now I think I'd like to make it look good. It's almost completely disassembled. I've pulled the hinge pins as much as possible to get the oven taken apart.

Questions about paint. What do I use? High heat I presume but I can only find this in flat black and I think the originals were gloss.

Also, any idea where I might get a stencil? "Coleman". "patent app'd for"

I'm also confused by the model number - the tag says "model 2" but I think there are 2B,C,D etc.

Thanks for any ideas.

Jack
My early Model 2 doesn't have the Patent Applied For lettering. Did yours actually have that? I thought that was only on the Model 1. The early Model 2 has the wire legs and oddball latches as noted on the Terrance Marsh website. Check out the international Coleman Collectors Club (ICCC) website and look for the model reference. You will see a listing of all of the old 2-burner stove models, plus much more.

You've contacted me previously about the stencil and I'll get back to that this week. I was sick and then needed to wrap up some projects for OCP and finally needed to go visit my father out of state. I don't have the version which says patent applied for.

On my Model 2, I used standard gloss black paint for the tank and a copper or gold paint for the lettering. The tank resides outside the suitcase when in use and doesn't get hot, at least I haven't noticed it getting hot. I don't believe the manufacturers used any soecial paints back when these were made. So, probably just enamel.
Stovie-Steve
"Don't let the weather run your life" - Steve
The Coleman Blues - #95
RR_RES
Colemanaholic

Post by RR_RES »

I have a version with the "PATENTS APPLIED FOR"

I'll have to see if I still have an actual cut stencil. I do have the graphic, if you have the means to get it cut.

When spraying the stencil, I recommend using an airbrush. If you have to use a spray can, mask everything around and spray it with the can about 2 feet away. As you can see, the gold paint on the original stencil is not thick...it's actually uneven with some areas of the lettering lighter than others. Give it that mass produced look.

Original stencil

Rodney
hikerduane
Super Colemanaholic

Post by hikerduane »

Don't leave the stencil on very long, quickly paint before the stencil lifts.
Duane
Duane-All seasons, year round backpacker and camper.  So many stoves and lanterns, who's counting.
Daryl22
Serious Colemanaholic

Post by Daryl22 »

May want to think twice before you repaint Granddads stove. You will be erasing all of your family's history from the stove. Can leave as is or clear coat if you must. If you keep it dry it is not going to rust away and will not run any better all shinny and new looking. I regret repainting My Mom and Dads 425NL, good enough for them should have been good enough for me. You're lucky to have Granddads stove please use it.
Daryl sunny SoCal
No.3 & No.7 KampKook appreciation #5
BenzOmatic Appreciation Club
275 Appreciation #0249
Mil-Spec Ops #0356
rob_pontius
Super Colemanaholic

Post by rob_pontius »

I agree with Daryl on this one. If you repaint, the history of the stove and your grandfather's use will be destroyed forever. Preserve it and enjoy it.
Rob
Brightlight

Post by Brightlight »

Try sponge painting the stencil. Just lightly dab to give an uneven look. Did that on my poultry lantern and looks more original than the ones you see that someone sprayed from 6 inches away…
Cole M.
:geek:
Majicwrench
Super Colemanaholic

Post by Majicwrench »

Cole, thanks for the hint, I might try that.
Keith
Brightlight

Post by Brightlight »

Majicwrench wrote: Sat Aug 06, 2022 6:51 pm Cole, thanks for the hint, I might try that.
Keith, I rubbed the black paint on the poultry lantern with a rag after a few hours to soften the edges of the paint lines then sprayed it with a light coat or lacquer. Not sure if that would work on the gold over gloss black, but it’s an idea to try. Good luck!
Cole M.
:geek:
SteveRetherford
Certified Colemanaholic

Post by SteveRetherford »

i have a #2 and bought a stencil from someone here , but i have not got around to using it , not even sure where its hiding LOL but i have one !!!
Steve , Keeper of the Light !!!
StanDahl
Super Colemanaholic

Post by StanDahl »

Coldwaterpaddler wrote: Sat Aug 06, 2022 2:17 am My early Model 2 doesn't have the Patent Applied For lettering. Did yours actually have that? I thought that was only on the Model 1.
I've noted the P.A.F. on both #1 and early #2 stoves.

I will put down another vote for leaving the stove in its original condition. I have a #2 that belonged to Sheldon Coleman's widow and it's pretty ugly and very rusty in places, but it works perfectly and I would never use it nor would I be very interested in it if I "restored" it.
P7319807 copy 2.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
John - ICCC Petty Bureaucrat #CMLXII...
Jack Bonham

Post by Jack Bonham »

Thanks everyone and sorry I haven't responded. The Omicron variant has had me by the short hairs in the last week.

I'm taking all the comments under advisement regarding "to paint" or "not to paint." Funny I had read about the "patents applied for" on the 1 and not the 2 but it's there for sure although difficult to see in the pictures. Mine has wire legs and the funny latches on the front.

Thanks for the graphic. I think I can print, scale, and use this. It's pretty much exactly what I was looking for.

...and as always, still looking for an original key. I was able to fashion one out of an old skate key but not the same. Sadly the young lady at the antique store had no idea what a skate key was. Makes me feel really old.

Below are some pictures.

Jack

Majicwrench
Super Colemanaholic

Post by Majicwrench »

Obviously, paint or no is up to you. They are seriously sharp looking when well done. Seriously sharp.

I had to turn my burner covers so they were the same alignment.

Yeah,, anal sometimes.
Keith