Hot Hot 635 Canadian

Post your tech questions here, lots of knowledge available.
1freshfind
Colemanaholic

Hot Hot 635 Canadian

Post by 1freshfind »

I just got a Canadian 635 lantern that is really hot. My first 635.
It is a 1971 Canadian white gas with green vent and silver (nickel?) fount.
I am running a 500cp mantle and it is Super bright but this thing is the devil hot.
Wide open is is hotter than the 639 and the 249 I have. The vent still looks good It looks but I don't think it was ran too much. The burn seems proper and steady with no overburn. Sounds nice and I can adjust it down easily.
Maybe wide open is letting out more than it should be? Generator tip too big?
I can't carry it across my yard without turning it way down. Is this normal? I love the light it puts out but it s eems a bit dangerous. Thanks for any info
William
Long Island
Chucker

Re: Hot Hot 635 Canadian

Post by Chucker »

William, try some early 1960's 200a's - they can melt the valve knob. Even 242's ran so hot they burned up vents after some hard use.

You may get used to it. Then again, maybe a helpful member here will offer to take it off your hands.
Chuck
"...we know suffering produces perseverance, perseverance character, and character hope." Romans 5:3-4

Eye-SEE-C-C Member #1333 -- MilSpecOps #003
"Michigan - from the Ojibwa word “meicigama,” meaning “great water.”
1freshfind
Colemanaholic

Post by 1freshfind »

Yeah. Too hot for my liking. Super bright though. Maybe I'll list it.
William
Long Island
JimL
Super Colemanaholic

Post by JimL »

Does that lantern call for such a big mantle? I stopped using larger mantles on my 200A's when I felt how much hotter the lantern got. I don't even use the 2C-HG because of being noticeably larger than the #21's.
-Jim

Flammable liquids, open flame, what could go wrong?

Old enough to know better. Young enough to do it.
sleebus
Serious Colemanaholic

Post by sleebus »

Mantle size doesn't change the orifice. Amount of fuel burned = heat, and unless you change the jet, changing the mantle won't make a difference.
Michael - ICCC#2163
Check out my channel at GasUnderPressure or chat on the Coleman Discord
JimL
Super Colemanaholic

Post by JimL »

A larger mantle hangs lower in the frame. Admittedly, I'm referencing the collar and the fount for increased heat there, and not the vent.
-Jim

Flammable liquids, open flame, what could go wrong?

Old enough to know better. Young enough to do it.
1freshfind
Colemanaholic

Post by 1freshfind »

It makes sense that abigger mantle could relocate the heat on a 200a or 242 in terms of some heat escaping from areas lower than the mantles like the collar and the melted knob we all have seen. This is a big lantern though and I think the mantle size has not made any difference. The tank, knob and collar area do not much hotter than my 200a or 242c. I have a buddy with a thermometer gun and I will ask him if I can use it. That should be fun. Then maybe I will try to change the jet and see what happens.
William
Long Island
Whitegas Extraordinaire
Super Colemanaholic

Post by Whitegas Extraordinaire »

Heck, how hot?
I have 249s with brand new coleman gens that will burn you if you grab the fount after an hour.
Thank you!
Kevin

(The Dude from Rottenchester)

To me a lamp without a shade is creepy!

After awhile, you can work on points for style!

ICCC # 1865
1freshfind
Colemanaholic

Post by 1freshfind »

The fount itself not so bad. Most is coming from the top. Hot enough that I couldn't stand to carry it wide open and I had to turn it way down to lift it off of my 6' shepherds hook. My oven mit works pretty good for a quick relocate.
I am surprised the vent is as nice as it is but as mentioned I do not think there are too many hours on it.
My 249 tank gets hot as well but the heat doesn't shoot straight up to my arm preventing me from carrying it through the woods if I want. The only white gas I have that comes close to the same light output is a 621B. It is hot but not as hot as the keros. Maybe the vent shape channels the heat differently? I think it is the similar to a 236 or 639. Maybe the wrong jet is on there? I can adjust it down but at about 50% brightness it is still pretty hot.
William
Long Island
LEXngton

Post by LEXngton »

Those 635's burn hot but imo well worth it!

Return to “Technical Assistance”