How tight should the tip cleaner assembly be?

Post your tech questions here, lots of knowledge available.
logo-3x1-48-Inches-1
jaredh

How tight should the tip cleaner assembly be?

Post by jaredh »

I am putting together a 220F and I am worried about the tip cleaner assembly getting too tight. I have it close to being lined up with the notch on the frame but it seems very tight to go any further and I don't want to damage anything. Should I keep going or do I back it up almost a whole turn and tighten the lock nut? That seems like it would be pretty loose if I did that. Any advice on this would be greatly appreciated

Toby

Re: How tight should the tip cleaner assembly be?

Post by Toby »

Tight enough that it doesn't leak and no more or you'll run into other issues. The nut just puts tension on the frame so it doesn't wobble. It doesn't need to be cranked down either. Just snug.
Toby Garner, from SW Missouri
ICCC #1939
Stone_Blue
Serious Colemanaholic

Post by Stone_Blue »

Idk.. others may chime in on on my thought, but what about backing it off so it lines up, and if it still feels too lose, or leaks, maybe try using sealant on it, like on the fount/valve bung connection? vOv
Its what I do when the clocking on the valve assy is way off, when it gets threaded tight/just right.

I use Permatex Indianhead for that, tho they changed the name on it. Others I know use other products on the valve/fount connection.
Company B #7
BernzOmatic Appreciation Club #040
"There seems to be something in the air in Russia...
that lit cigarettes make anything around them... go BOOM!!"

:cf_explosive: :cf_idontknow:
oldfox66
Super Colemanaholic

Post by oldfox66 »

Stone_Blue wrote: Wed May 15, 2024 9:37 pm Idk.. others may chime in on on my thought, but what about backing it off so it lines up, and if it still feels too lose, or leaks, maybe try using sealant on it, like on the fount/valve bung connection? vOv
Its what I do when the clocking on the valve assy is way off, when it gets threaded tight/just right.

I use Permatex Indianhead for that, tho they changed the name on it. Others I know use other products on the valve/fount connection.
+1
I've done this on a couple that were overtightend previously and clocked off from factory. I use GasOila softset but since it doesn't dry and lock the setting you must be careful not to accidently move it during assembly.
Brian

Coleman Slant Saver #71
MilSpec Syndicate #1941
Quicklite Crew #70
Coleman 275 Appreciation Syndicate #0266
BernzOmatic Appreciation Club #041
Frank Appreciation Syndicate #028

Tribal member of the Weredafoxawee Nation
Stone_Blue
Serious Colemanaholic

Post by Stone_Blue »

oldfox66 wrote: Wed May 15, 2024 9:45 pm +1
I've done this on a couple that were overtightend previously and clocked off from factory. I use GasOila softset but since it doesn't dry and lock the setting you must be careful not to accidently move it during assembly.
Then I guess the Indianhead is "softset", too... Takes several days to a week, to set to where it cant be accidentally moved. I usually set the fount aside till then before handling it again.
My first time with it, I tried baking it in toaster oven @ ~175-200° for 20-30mins to speed up setting it...
Didnt work too well :P IIRC, I think I actually read the label afterward, and it may have even have actually said NOT to heat/bake it... vOv lol
Company B #7
BernzOmatic Appreciation Club #040
"There seems to be something in the air in Russia...
that lit cigarettes make anything around them... go BOOM!!"

:cf_explosive: :cf_idontknow:
Ridge Runner
Super Colemanaholic

Post by Ridge Runner »

Stone_Blue wrote: Wed May 15, 2024 10:34 pm Then I guess the Indianhead is "softset", too... Takes several days to a week, to set to where it cant be accidentally moved. I usually set the fount aside till then before handling it again.
My first time with it, I tried baking it in toaster oven @ ~175-200° for 20-30mins to speed up setting it...
Didnt work too well :P IIRC, I think I actually read the label afterward, and it may have even have actually said NOT to heat/bake it... vOv lol
Yea, ran into that with Indian Head before. Had a valve that was good and secure when I was done, or so I thought. After running the lantern and having it heat up, the valve started moving freely. :(
— L.J.
In the foothills of the Berkshires, Western Massachusetts

ICCC #2197
Mil-Spec Ops #1920
Coleman Slant Saver #80
Coleman Blues 243's #1980
Coleman Quick Lite Crew #68
BernzOmatic Appreciation Club #1980
Coleman 275 Appreciation Syndicate #1980
I love the smell of naphtha in the morning!
"Ain’t no need to watch where I’m goin’; just need to know where I’ve been" -Tow Mater
MYN927
Super Colemanaholic

Post by MYN927 »

Loosen it out first. Clean all the threads again..thoroughly.
Lubricate the threads and then tighten it down again, without applying more force than what you did earlier.
If it still doesn't line up with the notch, just leave it at that.
Assemble whatever necessary and test for leaks. If it doesn't leak, its good enough.
If it leaks, something else isn't right. You'd need to identify and sort that out before proceeding further.
logo-3x1-48-Inches-1

Return to “Technical Assistance”