Rinsing out fount after lye treatment

Post your tech questions here, lots of knowledge available.
logo-3x1-48-Inches-1
Paul1963
Serious Colemanaholic

Rinsing out fount after lye treatment

Post by Paul1963 »

I just did a lye soak on a 1970 220 fount to remove the lifing/loose liner
I then did the shaky shake with nuts and screws before dumping it all out to then give a second treatment and now it's all spotless inside
It works terrific but I've forgotten what I should use to then rinse out the fount before I dry it in a 200 degree convection oven to get it totally dry and ready for use again

Anybody want to tell me please?
Chucker

Re: Rinsing out fount after lye treatment

Post by Chucker »

I use HOT tap water, dump then add a few ounces of 91% Isopropyl and dump. Dry it in the oven ASAP.

Others may have their successful methods.
Chuck
"...follow all that I commanded you; and behold, I am with you always, to the end of the age.” Matthew 28:20

Eye-SEE-C-C Member #1333 -- MilSpecOps #003
"Michigan - from the Ojibwa word “meicigama,” meaning “great water.”
Ridge Runner
Super Colemanaholic

Post by Ridge Runner »

I use hot water and then a rinse with denatured alcohol. I usually skip the oven and dry with compressed air.
— L.J.
In the foothills of the Berkshires, Western Massachusetts

ICCC #2197
Mil-Spec Ops #1920
Coleman Slant Saver #80
Coleman Blues 243's #1980
Coleman Quick Lite Crew #68
BernzOmatic Appreciation Club #1980
Coleman 275 Appreciation Syndicate #1980
I love the smell of naphtha in the morning!
"Ain’t no need to watch where I’m goin’; just need to know where I’ve been" -Tow Mater
hikerduane
Super Colemanaholic

Post by hikerduane »

After neutralizing the lye, I will then do a nut shake and dry out, sometimes using alcohol, then place out in the sun on concrete. Pump air thru the C/V to eliminate water there. Some stuff needs a paper towel stuck in the fuel hole to soak up the excess water, then dried in the sun or by the wood stove. Air from a compressor I’m not sure how long that takes.
Duane
ICCC member 2220. Formerly all seasons, year round backpacker and camper.  So many stoves and lanterns, who's counting.
Toby

Post by Toby »

I flush/rinse with tap water a couple times, then use compressed air to blow the majority of the moisture out, then I pour in some pump gas slosh it around, dump it out and compressed air blow dry and then it's ready. I've done hundreds this way without issue.
Toby Garner, from SW Missouri
ICCC #1939
critmass_34
Super Colemanaholic

Post by critmass_34 »

I usually rinse with water and then hit the openings with a hair dryer. I have then add some Kero or CF and let it sit for a bit before dumping it out. Then I fill the fount half full of whatever fuel I will be using and fire it up.
My friends call me Big Jack
Coleman Quick Lite Crew # 77
Coleman Slant Saver # 98
Old Cat
Super Colemanaholic

Post by Old Cat »

Paul, any one of the above mentioned methods will work, but you are a step ahead of most of us. You have a dang oven. So, water rinse (cold, warm, or hot), treat with alcohol, throw it in the oven around 175-200 degrees, and call it a day.
Thanks,
Dan

When your train of thought leaves the station and you’re left standing in the middle of the station wondering why you are there. What can this mean? ...Too many birthdays? ...Maybe? ...Oh noooo! ...Keep celebrating everyone the Lord sends. O.C.
MYN927
Super Colemanaholic

Post by MYN927 »

I usually just rinse with plenty of tap water and empty it out as much till the last drips. Another rinse with methanol to soak up the remaining water. Finally, finish up with acetone to remove the last traces of the alcohol.
Pour in a little fuel to slosh around a bit and then discard the contents.

The above is when I'm not using an oven, compressed air or a heat-gun to speed the drying. I would avoid leaving the fount to naturally air-dry. It is too confined and takes too long...greater chances for flash rusting.
Paul1963
Serious Colemanaholic

Post by Paul1963 »

Thanks guys
I did a mix of baking soda (rounded tablespoon) in water and filled fount set for 2 hours then dumped it and did a paper towel wic type treatment to soak up the remaining drops inside then Set it out in the sun for a few hours on this hot 90+ degree day and it's done so we're all set,...BUT WAIT, THERE'S MORE!
I took off the genny and spring and tube slid right out nice but while in them I like to clean em anyway
So I carefully removed the tip and sprayed brake cleaner through it and while screwing it back down it simply just broke away from the threads on it. OK stay calm, no need to cuss, lol I think it may have never been fully screwed down and carbon buildup was on the last few threads and so it I guess did not want to seat All the way like the few dozen I gave serviced in last few years have. However I did very easily remove the small part of threads by inserting a small Pic and it unscrewed out very nice

So does anybody have an extra tip to send me?
1970 220 lantern so it's very common

Thanks again guys
Paul
outlawmws
Super Colemanaholic

Post by outlawmws »

Lye is alkaline, so not sure what good baking soda would do?

I think you mostly need to flush/rinse it well.

Coleman Blue's 243's #341 - 275 Appreciation Syndicate member 0242
FAS #001 Confusing Future Generations of Collectors, One Lantern at a Time!
KK No. 3 Appreciation Klub #1

hikerduane
Super Colemanaholic

Post by hikerduane »

Eel was saying to neutralize the lye with vinegar, then rinse that with baking soda, not sure how long leaving the baking soda in, may be less time than the half hour vinegar rinse. I read online to use 50/50 water and vinegar for 30 minutes.
Duane
ICCC member 2220. Formerly all seasons, year round backpacker and camper.  So many stoves and lanterns, who's counting.
outlawmws
Super Colemanaholic

Post by outlawmws »

Now that (Eel's method) makes more sense.

Coleman Blue's 243's #341 - 275 Appreciation Syndicate member 0242
FAS #001 Confusing Future Generations of Collectors, One Lantern at a Time!
KK No. 3 Appreciation Klub #1

Toby

Post by Toby »

A water rinse is all that's needed to neutralize the lye. No need to add acids in my opinion. Like I mentioned before, getting rid of the excess water is the most important part.
Toby Garner, from SW Missouri
ICCC #1939
MYN927
Super Colemanaholic

Post by MYN927 »

Yes, it is really not necessary at all to add another doublestep of neutralizing and re-neutralizing :D . Just clean water is good enough.
In case of unremoved of lye traces, it doesn't affect anything. Afterall, lye won't remain stable for very long in free air. It absorbs CO2 and and some moisture from the air and turns to hydrated sodium carbonate and eventually the bicarbonate.
Again, water is sufficient for removing the alkali and any of the salts.formed.
hikerduane
Super Colemanaholic

Post by hikerduane »

Eel is quite a bit more learned than I am or ever was. He sure made an eye scorcher of a lantern at a Gathering a couple years ago.
Duane
logo-3x1-48-Inches-1

Return to “Technical Assistance”