Paint Colors for GPAs

Post your tech questions here, lots of knowledge available.
kenmack
Colemanaholic

Paint Colors for GPAs

Post by kenmack »

The discussion of paint colors comes up with regular frequency here (I know that I've done it before), and such posts are often precipitated whenever someone presents a repaint project for our admiration. Rubing's recent post being one of them.

This prompted an idea of mine which is to assemble a collection of photographs of repainted GPAs with their various colors. Upon these photos, I would label the color used on the respective GPAs. Given how often the subject is discussed, I think it would be useful resource to have this reference. It would be all the more useful as those who are interested could see the color on an actual GPA and judge for themselves the appropriateness of the color and to see, for instance, how well it matches the ventilator color.

I would like for anyone with a good picture of a repaint to submit it to me and allow me to use it for this purpose. I will appreciate well framed, well focused, high resolution photos with good, white lighting. Please specify the brand and color of the paint which you used. Hopefully, I'll be able to create a useful resource, and maybe, just maybe, get my own pinned thread.

Photos can be emailed to "my user name"830@yahoo.com. If you don't know my user name, it is kenmack. Also, let me know if you want your photo to be credited to you by name, user name or not at all.

sig
Graeagle Coleman

Paint Colors for GPAs

Post by Graeagle Coleman »

Great idea!! Very gracious of you to do this as it will be an excellent resource for everybody to use for years to come!! Thank you..
Turd Appreciation Syndicate #0210
brokenmantle
Super Colemanaholic

Paint Colors for GPAs

Post by brokenmantle »

great idea, it should be done.
Phredd
Serious Colemanaholic

Paint Colors for GPAs

Post by Phredd »

Not sure how easy this would be to do, but including a color standard with the photo would help adjust for variations due to lighting, camera settings etc.

Maybe someone who is not only a colemanaholic but also a photographer can chime in?

Phredd
ICCC#1799
Coleman Quick Lite Crew #40
kenmack
Colemanaholic

Paint Colors for GPAs

Post by kenmack »

Phredd wrote: Not sure how easy this would be to do, but including a color standard with the photo would help adjust for variations due to lighting, camera settings etc.

Maybe someone who is not only a colemanaholic but also a photographer can chime in?

That's a good idea.

sig
NWMike

Paint Colors for GPAs

Post by NWMike »

I ain't no photographer, but I've been involved with imaging for most of my working life. This includes being responsible for the installation, service, and calibration of the highest end photo processing equipment used in professional photo labs.
Phredd touched on one end of the problem. Basically how do you guarantee all the information entered into the data base, (ie. our forum in this case), is digitally the same? After you solve that side of the problem you then will need to calibrate the devices that turn that digital information into viewable images so they show the information exactly the same.
The problem that can't really be solved is that we all use different devices to view these images. Any device that is used to capture, process, store, and/or view color images has it's own unique characteristic we call in the industry, (color gamma).

IMHO, the best we can do is to continue to share our own experiences in technique, and products used to get to the results we want to achieve. Yes pictures do help. But I know from over 30 years of experience they are far from fool proof.
Murff
Administrator
Title: Guy Who Knows Just Enough To Cause Trouble

Paint Colors for GPAs

Post by Murff »

Name: Murff   ICCC Member #726 
Coleman Blue's 243's #002   Ebay Handle: Happy-campers2 
EX-ICCC Newsletter Editor & Full time Coleman Addiction Enabler
Part-time Idito and Hater of Turd 275s
25_502s
Super Colemanaholic

Paint Colors for GPAs

Post by 25_502s »

Timm is a photographer or he should be.
Jason
not looking for any more Bday gpas. Honestly, if you have a 10-72 don’t let me know about it.
Coleman 275 Appreciation Syndicate #0214
Coleman Slant Saver #56
Coleman Quick Lite Crew #31
kenmack
Colemanaholic

Paint Colors for GPAs

Post by kenmack »

NWMike wrote: I ain't no photographer, but I've been involved with imaging for most of my working life. This includes being responsible for the installation, service, and calibration of the highest end photo processing equipment used in professional photo labs.
Phredd touched on one end of the problem. Basically how do you guarantee all the information entered into the data base, (ie. our forum in this case), is digitally the same? After you solve that side of the problem you then will need to calibrate the devices that turn that digital information into viewable images so they show the information exactly the same.
The problem that can't really be solved is that we all use different devices to view these images. Any device that is used to capture, process, store, and/or view color images has it's own unique characteristic we call in the industry, (color gamma).

IMHO, the best we can do is to continue to share our own experiences in technique, and products used to get to the results we want to achieve. Yes pictures do help. But I know from over 30 years of experience they are far from fool proof.

I am aware of these short comings, but I remain undaunted. These concerns which you've mentioned are why photos with natural white light and good exposure are important. Also, I want pictures of the whole lantern so that the color can be compared to the vent color. The appropriate color for a restoration is what I want to show, so no matter the monitor or even the illumination, the fount vs. vent comparison will show. As an example, I offer with his permission, this example from Rubing which shows what information such photos can provide:

Seafoam,-blue,-hunter-green.jpg
sig
Otto
Colemanaholic

Paint Colors for GPAs

Post by Otto »

We do quite a bit of painting here. This is the avocado sears color:
http://www.colemancollectorsforum.com/post/handy-dandy-fount-holder-for-the-oven-8006678

This color is important because there isn't one available in the stores. 1920s-1930s AGM stoves.

http://www.colemancollectorsforum.com/post/agm-stove-paint-color-break-through-8007839?pid=1291425923
Otto-Western Wisconsin Gas Pressure Appliance Safaris
                      ~ stoves are important too~

MilSpecsOps  #1979

Coleman Slant Saver   #28

Quicklite Crew.   #16
Rubing
Super Colemanaholic

Paint Colors for GPAs

Post by Rubing »

BTW I believe Otto is the one that turned me on to the paint for the 243.
ICCC # 1402
kenmack
Colemanaholic

Paint Colors for GPAs

Post by kenmack »

I'd like to see some repaints reassembled with their vents on.
sig
Asbestos

Paint Colors for GPAs

Post by Asbestos »

The one thing is for the most part a can or Rustolemum hunter green (for example) is going to be the same everywhere. and if used in pictures it can be a reference point. sort of like using a quarter or a dollar bill for size
Pithy saying wanted- will pay cash for wit.

arryk

Paint Colors for GPAs

Post by arryk »

Duplicolor fuel resistant engine enamel with ceramic, Racing green:
[sunflame_003]
Different lighting conditions:

[sunflame_008]
Use as you please, no credit wanted.
Arryk: Newbie but learning
Murff
Administrator
Title: Guy Who Knows Just Enough To Cause Trouble

Paint Colors for GPAs

Post by Murff »

20190107_183940-567x1008.jpg

Red vent with powder coated red fount (above).

Below, rattle can repainted burgundy.

20190107_183922-567x1008.jpg

Murff
Name: Murff   ICCC Member #726 
Coleman Blue's 243's #002   Ebay Handle: Happy-campers2 
EX-ICCC Newsletter Editor & Full time Coleman Addiction Enabler
Part-time Idito and Hater of Turd 275s
Coldwaterpaddler
Serious Colemanaholic

Paint Colors for GPAs

Post by Coldwaterpaddler »

I found that Rust-Oleum Satin Hunt Club Green (#249074), was an excellent match on my early 1940's AGM 3927 lantern, as shown in this post: https://sklcolorado.wordpress.com/2018/01/17/agm-3927-lantern/#more-3233

Also, a few years ago I did some other color experiments as shown here: https://sklcolorado.wordpress.com/2014/11/09/old-single-burner-stove-paints-and-colors/#more-975

The photo library could get extensive and difficult to look through if all in one place.

I too would like to be able to easily find suggestions and see photos with the understanding that any non-OEM paint will likely only be "close" and not perfect. This also means that there might be more than one suggestion. So, maybe it would be helpful if instead of gathering everything we know into one place, because it could be very large, a simple format for a post per item with suggested standardized title and a photo, plus the paint info would make things easier to find. Plus, if others find similar but different matching paints or even better matches they could add to the post and let the reader decide which to use.

Kenmack's idea is good for multiple reasons. From my perspective, 1) I ended up with a cabinet full of partially or barely used paint cans. 2) Some of us are partially color-blind so matching colors isn't easy. 3) It would be nice to be able to a) type in a keyword like "repaint" or "color", and find a list of all posts with paint color suggestions, and b) it would be nice to type in "AGM 3927 lantern color" (or, something like that) and find THE post with a couple of entries with photos of the re-painted lantern.

Since people here seem to have more than just Coleman, I think that a post title could have <manufacturer> <model number><year??> and then a keyword like "repaint" or "color" or something else. Then, if someone wants to add a photo of a GPA they repainted, members could suggest they add it to an existing post or create a new one, using the format. Next, post a photo or two, and specify the paint color by <brand>, <name> and <number>, as in the example above, Rust-Oleum, Satin Hunt Club Green, #249074.

I'm happy to cooperate, these are my suggestions.
Stovie-Steve
"Don't let the weather run your life" - Steve
The Coleman Blues - #95
kenmack
Colemanaholic

Paint Colors for GPAs

Post by kenmack »

Murff wrote: 20190107_183940-567x1008.jpg

Red vent with powder coated red fount (above).

Below, rattle can repainted burgundy.

20190107_183922-567x1008.jpg

Murff

Murff, these are nice pictures of excellent paint jobs, but what brand and color of product was used?
sig
kenmack
Colemanaholic

Paint Colors for GPAs

Post by kenmack »

Coldwaterpaddler wrote: I found that Rust-Oleum Satin Hunt Club Green (#249074), was an excellent match on my early 1940's AGM 3927 lantern, as shown in this post: https://sklcolorado.wordpress.com/2018/01/17/agm-3927-lantern/#more-3233

Also, a few years ago I did some other color experiments as shown here: https://sklcolorado.wordpress.com/2014/11/09/old-single-burner-stove-paints-and-colors/#more-975

The photo library could get extensive and difficult to look through if all in one place.

I too would like to be able to easily find suggestions and see photos with the understanding that any non-OEM paint will likely only be "close" and not perfect. This also means that there might be more than one suggestion. So, maybe it would be helpful if instead of gathering everything we know into one place, because it could be very large, a simple format for a post per item with suggested standardized title and a photo, plus the paint info would make things easier to find. Plus, if others find similar but different matching paints or even better matches they could add to the post and let the reader decide which to use.

Kenmack's idea is good for multiple reasons. From my perspective, 1) I ended up with a cabinet full of partially or barely used paint cans. 2) Some of us are partially color-blind so matching colors isn't easy. 3) It would be nice to be able to a) type in a keyword like "repaint" or "color", and find a list of all posts with paint color suggestions, and b) it would be nice to type in "AGM 3927 lantern color" (or, something like that) and find THE post with a couple of entries with photos of the re-painted lantern.

Since people here seem to have more than just Coleman, I think that a post title could have <manufacturer> <model number><year??> and then a keyword like "repaint" or "color" or something else. Then, if someone wants to add a photo of a GPA they repainted, members could suggest they add it to an existing post or create a new one, using the format. Next, post a photo or two, and specify the paint color by <brand>, <name> and <number>, as in the example above, Rust-Oleum, Satin Hunt Club Green, #249074.

I'm happy to cooperate, these are my suggestions.

Those are some good suggestions. I'll figure out a way to make the data easy to use. I might have to discuss it with Murff to determine what is feasible.
sig
Bob1774
Serious Colemanaholic

Paint Colors for GPAs

Post by Bob1774 »

Nice idea to create a data base so others might have a better chance of finding a paint that will work, without everyone ending up with various rattle cans that didn't work.

Since the colors are unique to manufacturer, model, age, etc., it is difficult to find a solution.

Here are some links to a technique I used a few years ago blending rattle can colors to get a close match. One was a 200a, the other a 228E. YMMV.

http://www.colemancollectorsforum.com/post/5-200a-repaint-8262330?pid=1293598051

http://www.colemancollectorsforum.com/post/update-thanks-for-the-lack-of-interest-8196128?pid=1293006128
Bob
mikew
Super Colemanaholic

Paint Colors for GPAs

Post by mikew »

Hope this helps. The stove is a repaint with Duplicolor Chrysler Blue. The lanterns are original.

100_0321.jpg
Mike
"... at evening time, it shall be light." Zechariah 14:7

Slant Saver #05 Milspec Ops 0045
Quicklite Crew #27
Perfection Heater Collectors #4
kenmack
Colemanaholic

Paint Colors for GPAs

Post by kenmack »

mikew wrote: Hope this helps. The stove is a repaint with Duplicolor Chrysler Blue. The lanterns are original.

100_0321.jpg

Thank you.
sig
florida_grown
Colemanaholic

Paint Colors for GPAs

Post by florida_grown »

I know my forum pics dont reflect it but my degree is Commercial Photography, at the moment I'm a bit overwhelmed with bills but...when I get in a better $$ position I can replace my dead GPU in my desktop and I would be interested in assisting or supplying some information as I have tons of panotone and gamma charts and can also do color value matching.
The biggest problem would be say someone posts a pic but can't remember what exactly they used, and most not understanding Kelvin values (what lighting) they took the pic under and how it can greatly affect the actual color in an image.
But...i would most definitely be interested in this once I can afford a new GPU.
Gavercronos
Serious Colemanaholic
Title: Guy Who Does Stuff

Paint Colors for GPAs

Post by Gavercronos »

For you folks who have green Canadian lanterns that need redone and Hunter green is way, way too dark.
Taken in sunlight through a window: The 220F is painted in Krylon Emerald; the 335 is there for comparison. Note the vent is slightly darker on both.
100_3169.jpg
100_3170.jpg
WillCat

Chautauqua County, New York
Slant Saver [svg] Frank MakerNew York State Route 5 marker

Wanted: GPA dated 5/89, 7D Mag-lite
My greatest fear is Flying Walruses with Tommy guns for Tusks.
Otto
Colemanaholic

Paint Colors for GPAs

Post by Otto »

Don't forget everyone, baking at 180° (450° for hi-temp paint) for 20 min, may change the result. usually a little darker. The oven will toughen up the paint too, but not as good as powder coating.
Also, with some lanterns, the vent may not be the exact match of the fount. The vent can change color a little when hot too.
Otto-Western Wisconsin Gas Pressure Appliance Safaris
                      ~ stoves are important too~

MilSpecsOps  #1979

Coleman Slant Saver   #28

Quicklite Crew.   #16
kenmack
Colemanaholic

Paint Colors for GPAs

Post by kenmack »

Gavercronos wrote: For you folks who have green Canadian lanterns that need redone and Hunter green is way, way too dark.
Taken in sunlight through a window: The 220F is painted in Krylon Emerald; the 335 is there for comparison. Note the vent is slightly darker on both.
100_3169.jpg
100_3170.jpg

Thank you.
sig
SDCLTD

Re: Paint Colors for GPAs

Post by SDCLTD »

Quick Question: Do you know where I can find a post for the original OEM paints used by Coleman for their lanterns?

I am attempting to completely restore a 220J with the original OEM 'Red' color. All of the forums I've read supply a number of colors that are 'close', or more appropriately the owners modified, but no source I've found can advise exactly the color 'Spec' used by Coleman for their classic OEM "Red" or "Green".

Thanks very much.

Joe

E: JSeitz@SDCPartners.com -or- JosephLSeitz@GMail.com
Leviticus_Tomethreus
Super Colemanaholic

Post by Leviticus_Tomethreus »

SDCLTD wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 4:43 pm Quick Question: Do you know where I can find a post for the original OEM paints used by Coleman for their lanterns?

I am attempting to completely restore a 220J with the original OEM 'Red' color. All of the forums I've read supply a number of colors that are 'close', or more appropriately the owners modified, but no source I've found can advise exactly the color 'Spec' used by Coleman for their classic OEM "Red" or "Green".

Thanks very much.

Joe

E: JSeitz@SDCPartners.com -or- JosephLSeitz@GMail.com
Don’t need red for a 220j and a 220j isn’t worth a repaint unless it means something to you. We don’t know Coleman’s formula and it’s also changed over the years. The closest you can get is to take the fount to NAPA or something and have a custom paint made up.
My friends don’t call me “Lantern/lampie Levi” for nothin’,if they did call me that.
Looking for bday lanterns 8/38, 8/41,
10/25, and 8/07
The biggest lie I tell myself is ”I don’t need to write that down, I’ll remember it.”
“People say nothing is impossible, but I do nothing everyday” -A.A. Milne
Now officially ICCC member #1995. Most likely the youngest member with a registered name.

You guessed it, Levi Tomey 
Flyboyfwa
Serious Colemanaholic

Post by Flyboyfwa »

If you line up 10 lanterns of the same model, you'll likely find about 8 different shades. Th red are worse. They were all red at one point but I have red, tomato soup red, nearly orange, etc. Most likely if you even found the "correct" color it would look wrong because everyone is used to the decades of faded colors.

The link to the color doc is dead. I looked over the last couple years and the majority of the paints listed were out of production when I asked numerous stores and manufacturers. It may be time to update that.
Andy
Mil-Spec Ops #199
Coleman Slant Saver #54
Coleman Quick Lite Crew #06
275 Appreciation Syndicate #1970
The Coleman Blues 243's #159

ICCC #1741
Chucker

Post by Chucker »

I agree, the shades/colors were all over the road.

Greens: Try Hunter Green, Hunt Club Green (220/228E's and WWII) and Kelly Green variants.

Red: Safety Red is close to many early 200a's EXCEPT the maroon or cherry versions of course.

Like Levi says above, if you can take an original item with paint on it to a shop with computer paint capabilities, it might be your best option.
Chuck
"...Good people pass away; the godly often die before their time. But no one seems to care or wonder why. No one seems to understand that God is protecting them from the evil days to come." Isaiah 57:1-2

Eye-SEE-C-C Member #1333 -- MilSpecOps #003
"Michigan - from the Ojibwa word “meicigama,” meaning “great water.”