Painting 200 A

Post your tech questions here, lots of knowledge available.
GJ

Painting 200 A

Post by GJ »

Hey guys, I have a red 200 A that the fount was in bad shape, I have the fount in great shape now, I painted it, wasn’t happy with it. I’ve stripped the paint and plan on taking the red vent and match the color. Will the type of paint I can buy at Lowe’s work? Should I ask for a certain type paint?

I have a spray gun I’m going to use, and have looked at our site for painting advise.

rob_pontius
Super Colemanaholic

Painting 200 A

Post by rob_pontius »

My best advice would be, whatever you paint it with, put a high temp engine clear coat over the top of the color coats for fuel resistance. The fount doesn't get hot, but the high temp engine paint is fuel resistant. You can also see if you can match the color in the spray can section at the auto parts stores automotive paint is fuel resistant as well once it's cured.
Rob
jayhawk

Painting 200 A

Post by jayhawk »

I was just thinking about this the other day. In the past I have painted founts with Krylon or Rustoleum, but I don't think those are very fuel resistant. You might try Van Sickle tractor paint from Tractor Supply. I use it on my cub cadet tractor and it holds up well to outdoor elements. I would paint outside though, it sure does stink and it takes a while to dry. They have a pretty good selection of colors, you might have to take something with you to match it up. Hope this helps.
Kevin
GJ

Painting 200 A

Post by GJ »

It does, I bought an auto sealer to spay on top of the paint
Gunhippie
Super Colemanaholic

Painting 200 A

Post by Gunhippie »

For most of the later run of 200As, Rust-Oleum Safety Red 7564 is a very good match. I use the rattle-can. It seems this color is very prone to sags and drips, so lots of very light coats with about 15-20 minutes in between. I then let it dry for a few hours (depending on temperature) and bake it in a small convection oven at 250F for an hour. Comes out incredibly smooth and shiny without sanding between coats. Seems the heat-cure smooths the paint out.

I use a self-etching primer coat, but keep it barely heavy enough to cover the metal.

Another vote for the fuel-resistant clear-coat. I use Rust-O Clear Engine Enamel 500F, applying it the same way as the color-coats. Usually 3 coats of the clear gives me a very nice look. The heat-resistant paints are in the Auto section at my local hardware stores--took me a long time to figure that out.
It's priceless until someone puts a price on it.
Walk a mile in a man's shoes before you criticize him--then you're a mile away, and he has no shoes.
Texan's last words: "Y'all--hold my beer--I wanta' try sumptin'."
Timm--Middle of nowhere, near the end of the road, Oregon.
Hamtramck_Stan

Re: Painting 200 A

Post by Hamtramck_Stan »

Gunhippie wrote: Sat Dec 14, 2019 10:28 pm For most of the later run of 200As, Rust-Oleum Safety Red 7564 is a very good match.
Timm, though it's a post from over a year ago, my question is this...

Does the stated 'later run' of the 200A's include 1968? The fount I have was repainted a blue metal flake color (with a rust red paste still inside the fount along with some old camp fuel-turned-into-varnish), so I have nothing to go by except what is recommended.
ICCC #1973
275 Appreciation Syndicate #0246

"Do not pray for easy lives; pray to be stronger people. Do not pray for tasks equal to your powers; pray for powers equal to your tasks" - Bl. Solanus Casey of Detroit, MI (1870-1957)

Extra ecclesiam nulla salus
Rubing
Super Colemanaholic

Post by Rubing »

I strip the fount to bare metal, shoot it with rattle can Rust-Oleum 2081 light gray primer, after it is dry I bake it in the oven at 200 degrees for an hour, let it dry overnight night then wet sand it with 600 grit paper. After that I repeat that process again.
Then I shoot it with rattle can Rust-Oleum 7565 Regal Red twice following the above process for primer.
Then I apply a coat of Rust-Oleum 7701 clear coat, bake it in the oven at 200 degrees for an hour, let it sit overnight, wet sand it with 600 grit paper, hit it again with clear coat then bake it one more time.
ICCC # 1402
Hamtramck_Stan

Post by Hamtramck_Stan »

Rubing wrote: Fri Jan 08, 2021 5:07 am I strip the fount to bare metal, shoot it with rattle can Rust-Oleum 2081 light gray primer, after it is dry I bake it in the oven at 200 degrees for an hour, let it dry overnight night then wet sand it with 600 grit paper. After that I repeat that process again.
Then I shoot it with rattle can Rust-Oleum 7565 Regal Red twice following the above process for primer.
Then I apply a coat of Rust-Oleum 7701 clear coat, bake it in the oven at 200 degrees for an hour, let it sit overnight, wet sand it with 600 grit paper, hit it again with clear coat then bake it one more time.
Rubing, I guess I was wanting to know if the original paint on the fount from '68 was similar to the vent.

I appreciate the full procedure, and yours is the first that I found to mention Regal Red
ICCC #1973

"Do not pray for easy lives; pray to be stronger people. Do not pray for tasks equal to your powers; pray for powers equal to your tasks" - Bl. Solanus Casey of Detroit, MI (1870-1957)

Hamtramck_Stan

Post by Hamtramck_Stan »

Looking at the comparison of my test piece painted in Regal Red to the 200A ventilator I have, the cured color is an extremely close match to it.
ICCC #1973

TwoCanoes
Colmanaholic

Post by TwoCanoes »

This is a 9/'65 painted with Rust-Oleum 7564 Safety Red. It was a pretty good match.
DSC01747.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Rubing
Super Colemanaholic

Post by Rubing »

Hamtramck_Stan wrote: Fri Jan 08, 2021 3:02 pm Looking at the comparison of my test piece painted in Regal Red to the 200A ventilator I have, the cured color is an extremely close match to it.
Good deal Stan 👍
ICCC # 1402