Coleman heater melting

Post your tech questions here, lots of knowledge available.
Jack mama

Coleman heater melting

Post by Jack mama »

Hey guys, i just bought this 513-700 adjustable heater and its in great condition besides the adjust knob and label are melted.....i have not tried to fire it, does anybody know what could have caused this?...... i tried to attach photos but can't , i did make a small YouTube video.....thanks fellas. https://youtu.be/eWBTa67_gzE
Phredd
Super Colemanaholic

Re: Coleman heater melting

Post by Phredd »

I've had a couple of these heaters and none had this problem. This heaters are started up by turning the thing upside down and letting fuel soak the burner. So maybe there was too much and it leaked down on the lever and decal?

Phredd
ICCC#1799
Coleman Quick Lite Crew #40
Jack mama

Post by Jack mama »

Yeah, that's what i figured also......its real nice, very very little rust, original box
JimL
Super Colemanaholic

Post by JimL »

I thought these heaters were relatively idiot proof when it came to lighting. I've been proven wrong.

This must have occurred from spilled fuel or kept inverted way way too long prior to lighting. Other than the light up, there are no flames during operation.
-Jim

I threw a boomerang a couple years ago; I now live in constant fear.

Flammable liquids, open flame, what could go wrong?
PaulRice

Post by PaulRice »

I have a Coleman Model 513-700 catalytic heater. I realize that replacement parts are virtually unavailable, but it is a great heater. Unfortunately, it will not sustain being lit. As a last resort, I hoped to remove and clean the wick if that was the problem, but I cannot figure out how to get to the wick. Can you provide instructions on how to disassemble and get to the wick? Do you have any other suggestions?
JimL
Super Colemanaholic

Post by JimL »

Paul,

I don't know if these ALL come apart the same, but hold the fount between your legs, grab the catalytic element at the base and unscrew it (counter-clockwise).

Before going this route, did you follow Coleman's procedure for cleaning the catalytic head?
-Jim

I threw a boomerang a couple years ago; I now live in constant fear.

Flammable liquids, open flame, what could go wrong?
Majicwrench
Super Colemanaholic

Post by Majicwrench »

Paul, have you had it working well in the past??
Keith
PaulRice

Post by PaulRice »

I purchased used. Seller said that it worked, but it did not fire up for me after the primer burned. One advice was to turn over first. I have not tried that yet. I have not cleaned the head. I wanted to inspect the wick but could not unscrew the top.
campinut
Super Colemanaholic

Post by campinut »

Not a fan of the stinky mushroom heaters. Come over to the dark side and get a propane one? No smell and they work flawlessly...campinut

Like a moth at night, I am attracted to the light!..7/7/1964...Russ, from Missouri..