Options for pump cap screw

Post your tech questions here, lots of knowledge available.
minnesota

Options for pump cap screw

Post by minnesota »

Hello
I've got a few stoves I'm working on that are missing the tiny screw for the pump cap.
OCP's doesn't have any, from what I could tell.
There are a lot of screws out there but I'm not knowledgeable enough to know what is needed.
Thanks
Bob
Savage, Minnesota
paulgeorge

Re: Options for pump cap screw

Post by paulgeorge »

Hullo. Yes, I've been searching desperately for these screws too. Screws for the pump cap on the 500 Stove, 242 and 249 Lanterns.
The size is #4 - 36 U N E F to the best of my belief. I did find a web store which sold them by the bag of 100 ! But finally, they are currently listed at OCP, Part number 1058D0804 $1 each. I've ordered some, among other items. Cheers.
Paul, in Melbourne.
Paul.
Whitegas Extraordinaire
Super Colemanaholic

Post by Whitegas Extraordinaire »

minnesota wrote: Tue Dec 22, 2020 3:03 am Hello
I've got a few stoves I'm working on that are missing the tiny screw for the pump cap.
OCP's doesn't have any, from what I could tell.
There are a lot of screws out there but I'm not knowledgeable enough to know what is needed.
Thanks
Check out this thread for the later stamped pump screws.

https://www.colemancollectorsforum.com/ ... AL#p307912

Thank you!
Kevin

I may frighten easily!
My current shade is Coleman!!
To me a lamp without a shade is creepy!

ICCC # 1865

paulgeorge

Post by paulgeorge »

Hullo. https://etc " That topic does not exist ". Can't find that one.

Ah ! Kevin - I see your terminology for P K (self tappers) screws is "stamped" screws.

It's not clear from Bob's (Minnesota) post above whether he's after stamped or machine screws. And BoB - what model stoves are you working on ? What model stoves do you need the screws for ?

Cheers. Paul.
Paul.
gwillmot
Serious Colemanaholic

Post by gwillmot »

Might check back here now and then. Looks like they're currently out ......

https://www.ejbasnett.com/
Still Crazy After All These Years

He that believeth and is baptized shall be saved; but he that believeth not shall be damned.
Mark 16:16

Whitegas Extraordinaire
Super Colemanaholic

Post by Whitegas Extraordinaire »

paulgeorge wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 3:29 am Hullo. https://etc " That topic does not exist ". Can't find that one.

Ah ! Kevin - I see your terminology for P K (self tappers) screws is "stamped" screws.

It's not clear from Bob's (Minnesota) post above whether he's after stamped or machine screws. And BoB - what model stoves are you working on ? What model stoves do you need the screws for ?

Cheers. Paul.
Paul, you are incorrect the fastenal ones will work on lanterns with stamped pump caps IE model 220D style. They will not work with machined pump caps IE model 242

Thank you!
Kevin

I may frighten easily!
My current shade is Coleman!!
To me a lamp without a shade is creepy!

ICCC # 1865

pagrey

Post by pagrey »

If you want the machine screws lionel used them on trains. Trainz on ebay has them most of the time, they have a nice nickel finish that is a better match today than most you'll find. They look black in the photos but they are nickel.

(Looks like they are out of stock, bummer)
Paul
paulgeorge

Post by paulgeorge »

Gentlemen -- Whitegas, gwillmot, pagrey -- Thanks for all your assistance and advice. Yes, Basnett's are out of stock also, but they do list TWO similar screws, only one of the two sizes fits the 500 stove ( and by extension, the 242 & 249 lanterns ). I'm hoping OCP has them. Yes, I've tried train shops here, but they would only have a few loose screws in a bottom drawer, unmarked and unknown.
I see another tech. term which I've never seen before " fastenal". I'll look it up. Cheers.
Paul.
pagrey

Post by pagrey »

These are really out of date but might be worth a dime to see if somebody is still around:

http://www.drtinkertrains.com/catalog/S ... 202004.pdf

http://www.llmodeltrain.com/NyergesBaSList.pdf

I think the 3/16" nickel 4-36 would work but obviously 1/4" is what you want.
Paul
Gunhippie
Super Colemanaholic

Post by Gunhippie »

paulgeorge wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 12:38 pm ....
I see another tech. term which I've never seen before " fastenal". I'll look it up. Cheers.
Fastenal is a source, not a tech term. Believe it or not, they sell fasteners. Most all of them. Another excellent source for odd machine parts is McMaster Carr, but things tend to come in large numbers and their descriptions on the web store are fairly useless.
It's priceless until someone puts a price on it.
Walk a mile in a man's shoes before you criticize him--then you're a mile away, and he has no shoes.
Texan's last words: "Y'all--hold my beer--I wanta' try sumptin'."
Timm--Middle of nowhere, near the end of the road, Oregon.
paulgeorge

Post by paulgeorge »

Yippee ! 242 Pump Cap Screws arrived today, from OCP. #4 - 36. Perfect fit. Will also fit one each to 249 and 500 Stove. Cheers.
Paul.
Bob1774
Serious Colemanaholic

Post by Bob1774 »

Thanks for the heads up. Are they nickel, or brass? Hard to tell from the image on OCP. I need one for a '40 A Speedmaster 500.
Bob
paulgeorge

Post by paulgeorge »

They're bright polished chrome or nickel (I can't tell the difference). Machine screws with a fine thread. Rounded head. Sorry for the late reply - I've been busy fettling on the workbench, reducing the backlog of lanterns and stoves.
Paul.
Phredd
Super Colemanaholic

Post by Phredd »

I worked in machine shops on and off through college to help pay the bills. And I am not a machinist - by any stretch of my imagination... but as they say - there are lot of different kinds of screws...

The terminology for screws is rather precise. So when searching for screws (like on McMaster-Carr), I have found it useful to use standard terms to describe the screw needed.

Here is a list that should help - not all inclusive but enough.
1) Size: Three numbers. The first is the diameter of the screw (#s for small sizes below 1/4", inch size for larger). The second is threads per inch. And the third is length.
2) Screw type: Sheet metal, machine, self tappingt etc
3) Head style: round, pan, oval etc
4) Drive type: slotted, Phillips etc (almost all old lanterns use slotted)
5) Metal type and coating: steel, aluminum, stainless steel etc
6) Coating: Nickle or chrome platted, galvanized

Paul - thanks for pointing out these in most of these terms in the threads above.

So based on what was mentioned above I would describe the needed screws as #4-36 - 3/16" (or 1/4"), round head, slotted, nickle plated machine screws.

And I note that the parts diagram for A 500 Speed master lists Part Number 530-452 as No.4-36 x 3/16" R.H Screw. No plating stated.

More importantly - I'm glad Paul found the screws he needed!

Kevin

Phredd
ICCC#1799
Coleman Quick Lite Crew #40
paulgeorge

Post by paulgeorge »

Many thanks, Kevin. The system of #4-36 etc. I was not familiar with. Also, although I was familiar with UNF, having owned my first motorcycle, a 741 Indian 600 ccm, at the tender age of 15, I was not aware of many other threads, esp. UNEF. It would seem that the smaller the item, the more complicated it gets !
I have a printout of the 500 Stove which I should have studied more earnestly. I gives the part number 530-452 but describes the screw as #4-46. Looks like I've downloaded a different parts list.
I'm glad to have my Coleman lanterns and stoves complete now, no missing screws or anything. Thanks again, and thanks to Mike at OCP.
The 242 Junior is finished, the money shot is posted up. Cheers. Paul.
Paul.