To Decal or not to Decal...

Post your tech questions here, lots of knowledge available.
JLush

To Decal or not to Decal...

Post by JLush »

I just picked up a quite nice 202 from a fellow CCF member. It appears to be an early model as the bottom of the fount has a thick galvanized coating (unfortunately obscuring any date that I can see) and also has a ceramic burner cap which also leads me to believe early version. It cleaned up really nice and runs awesome but it's not perfect which is fine since I plan to use it. One of the weak points is that there is not much left of the decal on the fount. I'd kind of like to replace it but hesitate for a couple of reasons. Questions for you: What would the original look like? Any detailed pics? Would the original have been a water transfer style as opposed to an adhesive backed variety? Are there originals available or original style reproductions? Or is it better left imperfect but original?
"Catch on fire with enthusiasm and people will come for miles to watch you burn"

...On the lookout for a 3/61...
Tgarner01
Super Colemanaholic

Re: To Decal or not to Decal...

Post by Tgarner01 »

Mine had none, so I got the replacement one from OCP. They were originally water slide from my understanding.

Toby Garner, from SW Missouri
ICCC #1939
Gavercronos
Serious Colemanaholic
Title: Guy Who Does Stuff

Post by Gavercronos »

Originals were waterslide, the ones OCP has are on foil or mylar. There has been some discussion on whether the gold border was there originally or if it's just yellowed waterslide decal edge. Hard telling since the newest one was made 57 years ago. Either way, a good one does deserve a new decal, it really makes them look nice.
WillCat

Chautauqua County, New York
Slant Saver [svg] Frank MakerNew York State Route 5 marker

Wanted: GPA dated 5/89, 7D Mag-lite
My greatest fear is Flying Walruses with Tommy guns for Tusks.
25_502s
Super Colemanaholic

Post by 25_502s »

How much original decal is remaining? I don’t think you can go wrong either way. The two I don’t use have nice original decals and the 3rd user was completely missing the decal and has a replacement. A new decal does make them look really good.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Jason
not looking for any more Bday gpas. Honestly, if you have a 10-72 don’t let me know about it.
Coleman 275 Appreciation Syndicate #0214
Coleman Slant Saver #56
Coleman Quick Lite Crew #31
JLush

Post by JLush »

There's not much left. I may just need to get a new one. Thanks guys.
IMG_2834.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"Catch on fire with enthusiasm and people will come for miles to watch you burn"

Ridge_Runner
Super Colemanaholic

Post by Ridge_Runner »

That’s a nice looking 202. Considering the amount missing, I’d treat it to a new decal too.
— L.J.

Looking for 10/2015 & 1/2020 B-Day Lanterns
I love the smell of naphtha in the morning!
"Ain’t no need to watch where I’m goin’; just need to know where I’ve been" -Tow Mater
Greazy

Post by Greazy »

Ridge_Runner wrote: Thu Dec 24, 2020 9:28 pm That’s a nice looking 202. Considering the amount missing, I’d treat it to a new decal too.
I agree. Looks good by the way!
Rubing
Super Colemanaholic

Post by Rubing »

I have replacement decals for all of my 202s but I haven’t had the b@lls to replace any of them yet.
ICCC # 1402
Sierra_Roadrunner

Post by Sierra_Roadrunner »

Ridge_Runner wrote: Thu Dec 24, 2020 9:28 pm That’s a nice looking 202. Considering the amount missing, I’d treat it to a new decal too.
+1 = I agree with what Ridge_Runner says and second with Greazy on his vote. I have a 242B that the fount is not stamped with the Coleman logo and put the sticker on it- makes it look a lot better. The condition your 202 is in I believe deserves a new decal too.
Joe
ICCC# 1893
rob_pontius
Super Colemanaholic

Post by rob_pontius »

I would almost bet that the date on your 202 is 8-54. Most of that date had really thick tin on the bottom and that month did have the ceramic burner as well. All of mine that were made after that date have nickel plated bottom plates that are very smooth and easy to see the date. Some of them have the date on the side as well. Be really careful if you polish the frame. The stainless steel that was used won't rust, but it didn't handle heat real well and lots of them have stress fractures in the uprights, right beside the spot where the mantle hangs. I've had more than one break off in that spot while hand polishing. I personally would leave the decal as it is. It's only original once.
Rob
Dmacp
Super Colemanaholic

Post by Dmacp »

I would almost bet that the date on your 202 is 8-54.
Terry Marsh told me to look very carefully at the bottom of my 202. I did and sure enough I can see the 8-54. Look under different types of light.
Dan
ICCC member #604
JLush

Post by JLush »

Well, after much agonizing I carefully scraped off the remnants of the original and and put on a new one. Even after some polishing I could see where the old decal was which helped in placing the new one. Fortunately the original was on pretty much centered and straight so I didn't have to drive myself crazy deciding if I wanted to duplicate the original placement or make it "right". :)
IMG_2898 (1).jpg

HappyLuke

Post by HappyLuke »

That looks so much better.
Luke
Quick Lite Crew #53
Ridge_Runner
Super Colemanaholic

Post by Ridge_Runner »

I’m in the middle of my own decal quandary, but yep, that sealed the deal right there. Looks very nice!
— L.J.

Looking for 10/2015 & 1/2020 B-Day Lanterns
I love the smell of naphtha in the morning!
"Ain’t no need to watch where I’m goin’; just need to know where I’ve been" -Tow Mater
25_502s
Super Colemanaholic

Post by 25_502s »

Beautiful!! Remember 202s were made in the ASA so the decals were not crooked like the Canadians.
Jason
not looking for any more Bday gpas. Honestly, if you have a 10-72 don’t let me know about it.
Coleman 275 Appreciation Syndicate #0214
Coleman Slant Saver #56
Coleman Quick Lite Crew #31
magikbus
Serious Colemanaholic

Post by magikbus »

Ok, a subject near and dear to my heart. I think the question could be answered by considering the rarity of the appliance and your own thoughts as to preserving vs restoring. I have a very rare 234 which can be faked by slapping a new decal on a 242 to try and fool people so I decided after buying a new decal to keep the original on as long as possible. There's not much left of the old decal but enough to maintain the provenance. And I have a new repo decal in my box for future consideration.
Stan

I always take the road less traveled, now where the h3ll am I?
Vancouver Island Branch ccf #0