Notrhstar Duel Fuel slight pulsing

Post your tech questions here, lots of knowledge available.
jamessveta

Notrhstar Duel Fuel slight pulsing

Post by jamessveta »

Hello Everyone,
I recently purchased a Northstar Dual Fuel lantern at a Coleman outlet store for a super deal and got it running but I noticed it has a slight pulsating when it burns. I've seen some videos of these and they seem to also have a slight pulsing on them. Is this something normal for this lantern? I'm using Coleman camp fuel and have plenty of pressure in it. Thanks
zoomkat
Super Colemanaholic

Re: Notrhstar Duel Fuel slight pulsing

Post by zoomkat »

I think rhythmic pulsing us usually due to an oscillation caused by insufficient fuel flow to the generator. Typically this would be caused by low tank pressure or some blockage in the fuel flow path. If the lantern is new then it is probably normal for the lantern, especially if other lanterns do the same.
bngreenchev

Post by bngreenchev »

My brother had the same issue with one that he bought from a hardware store that had been on the shelf for 8 years, the fix was to replace the generator we just figured there was corrosion in the generator tip from sitting for so long.
zoomkat
Super Colemanaholic

Post by zoomkat »

Just as something to try, slowly throttle back with the control valve and see if the pulsing stops while maintaining a steady output. An orifice that is just a little bigger than optimum could result in the issue. Reducing the orifice just a little using the pricker might make it steady out.
rob_pontius
Super Colemanaholic

Post by rob_pontius »

How long did you let the lantern run before shutting it down? I've had dual fuel lanterns pulse a bit right after replacing the generator. If I let them run for a while, the smooth out. Once they smooth out, they usually run right from that point on. It's almost like the new generator has to be broken in. Also, you can turn the valve from open to closed many times while it's running to possibly clear out any particles left from the manufacturing process.
Rob
LongDuck

295-700A Powerhouse Dual Fuel slight pulses on startup...

Post by LongDuck »

But goes away after I let it run for about 15-20min. Being Dual Fuel, I suspect it has to do with the larger diameter generators needing more heat to vaporize the CF, which takes more time. Once it's good and hot, it runs brightly and stops pulsing... every time.

Granted, the Northstars are known for having their quirks, but the generator differences seem suspect. I also recommend turning the valve wheel off of 'max' once it heats up as that also engages the start circuit, which isn't any brighter, but removes pressure from the fount, which eventually leads to pulsing.
Birthday 200A & 6/83 Last of the 220K's
atomicbee

Post by atomicbee »

I had the same problem on my Dual fuel and my CL2,replaced the generators and now they run bright .I always cycle the adjustment knob back and forth 3-4 times before I shut down the lantern.
Bally Bill Coleman
Moon is the light from a lantern in heaven
ICCC Member#1896