Rust removal from Dietz

Post your tech questions here, lots of knowledge available.
TwoCanoes
Colmanaholic

Rust removal from Dietz

Post by TwoCanoes »

I was given this Dietz which has a pretty uniform layer of rust. I’m thinking that to remove the rust, I’ll immerse the lantern in a bucket of molasses solution, say 1:9, for a month or so. I’m wondering whether it will come out looking like the bottom of the lantern (second photo). Any thoughts/criticism on this process? By the way, the inside of the fount looks like the bottom of the lantern.
DSC02241.JPG
DSC02244.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Leviticus_Tomethreus
Super Colemanaholic

Re: Rust removal from Dietz

Post by Leviticus_Tomethreus »

Not really much rust. Vinegar bucket for a week would do just fine.
My friends don’t call me “Lantern/lampie Levi” for nothin’,if they did call me that.
Looking for bday lanterns 8/38, 8/41,
10/25, and 8/07
The biggest lie I tell myself is ”I don’t need to write that down, I’ll remember it.”
Now officially ICCC member #1995. Most likely the youngest member with a registered name.

You guessed it, Levi Tomey 
Pancholoco1911
Super Colemanaholic

Post by Pancholoco1911 »

Electrolysis tank and is done in less than 12 hours
~Pancho~

ICCC MEMBER #: 1993
Ashman

Post by Ashman »

Citric acid in hot water is what I use. Let it soak for 1 hour or longer then clean with brillo pad in baking soda added to clean warm water afterwards, repeat as necessary. The bottom is the original plating, and would be difficult to get the rest of lantern to look exactly like it because the plating has aged or worn off on the top. But when all cleaned up and add a little polishing will look pretty good afterwards even with a some kerosene to light it up. Glenn
Last edited by Ashman on Sat Jan 02, 2021 9:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DougA
Serious Colemanaholic

Post by DougA »

I used Evaporust on mine:
dliteb4aft.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
DougA  ... fettler and keeper of a family collection of nickel: a 249, a pair of 237s, and a 1938 228B, along with a late 1979 red 200a.  Then two more turned up, a 1941 243A and a 1944 242C, and now there's a b-day 200A lantern, too!.
Coleman Blues Member #92.
BernzOmatic Appreciation Club #009.
Perfection Heater Collectors #5 
JimL
Super Colemanaholic

Post by JimL »

That lantern is a perfect candidate for quick electrolysis. It would probably be finished in under three or four hours. You would just need a wipe down with 0000 steel wool when finished.

Judging by its current condition, I think you will be very pleased how well it turns out regardless of method chosen.
-Jim

Flammable liquids, open flame, what could go wrong?

You shouldn't believe anything until it's been officially denied - Claud Cockburn
curtludwig
Super Colemanaholic

Post by curtludwig »

Everybody thinks their magic solution for rust removal is the best. Much tribalism. In reality it probably doesn't matter. I use citric acid because its cheap and is handy for many things beyond rust removal. I did a wick lantern once in a 5 gallon bucket. Worked a treat, I think I soaked it for maybe 3 days. I pulled it every day and scraped at the rust with a brush but probably didn't have to.
The nice thing about molasses or Evapo-rust (same chemical reaction I think) is that they won't hurt the underlying metal if you forget about it for a month or two...
Curt

2017 ICCC Convention Host

BernzOmatic Appreciation Club #019

http://www.youtube.com/c/lanternlabs
salukispeed
Serious Colemanaholic

Post by salukispeed »

I just finished the same D Lite lantern in Evap-o-Rust For the BIL It turned out great too but then He handed me one exactly like yours and after cleaning the globe and changing the wick and a little burner TLC I almost like the "as is" version better It looks so rustic and period correct. Each is great.
Bob
ICCC 1868
Perfection appreciation #10
Milspec 65252
Dmacp
Super Colemanaholic

Post by Dmacp »

I used Evaporust on mine
+1
Dan
ICCC member #604
TwoCanoes
Colmanaholic

Post by TwoCanoes »

Thanks, folks, for all the comments. I plan to put together an electrolysis setup this spring. I use citric acid for lots of stuff, and vinegar occasionally, but for this kind of thing, Evaporust has been my preferred approach. I'm hoping that molasses will do the same job for less money (albeit with more time). So I put the lantern in a bucket of molasses solution. We'll see how it turns out, but I agree, Bob, that the rust patina looks nice.
Pancholoco1911
Super Colemanaholic

Post by Pancholoco1911 »

Electrolysis would be cheaper than any other method. A $1-10 used battery charger from local sales, a reclaimed bucket, storage bin, etc; rebar rods (I’ve tried chicken wire 👌 but after reading some info galvanized is a no go), washer soda $5 at local Wally or other supermarkets and some wire

Washer soda ratio is 1 table spoon per gal of water. I set my batter charger at 2 amps
~Pancho~

ICCC MEMBER #: 1993