Lantern 220F 1-71 problem

Post your tech questions here, lots of knowledge available.
Grzegorz

Lantern 220F 1-71 problem

Post by Grzegorz »

Hi, my name is Grzegorz (Gregory), I'm from Poland.
I have a Coleman 220F lantern from January 1971, I disassembled it and cleaned it, I managed to start it, but I noticed a problem - fuel is getting into the pump chamber through the check valve, I turned the check valve and there is a small hole under it, I don't know if it should be there to be or not?
Check Valve probably needs to be replaced because it lets air through when the air stem is turned off.
Sorry for mistakes, but I don't know English well.
20201230_132212 mały.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
TwoCanoes
Colmanaholic

Re: Lantern 220F 1-71 problem

Post by TwoCanoes »

That hole at the base of the pump tube is supposed to be there. When you pump the lantern, air is forced through the check valve, through that hole and into the snorkel to pressurize the fount. In the cutaway photo below, the snorkel is indicated by the arrow. If you're getting fuel coming through the check valve into the pump tube, then the fuel has to be getting into the top of the snorkel. If this is the case, you either have too much fuel in the fount or you have tipped the fount far enough to allow fuel to flow into the snorkel. (Alternatively, the snorkel may be broken off or cracked near its base and fuel is flowing in through the crack.)
Now, to troubleshoot the check valve, first, with the check valve out of the fount, shake it to see whether the ball in the valve rattles. If it does, fine, but if not, you'll need to free it up. To free up the ball, soak the check valve in a solvent for a while (I use alcohol), and poke the ball periodically with a bamboo skewer or something similar. Work at it until the ball rattles freely in the check valve. Reinstall the check valve, and with luck, it will work just fine. What I do to check for a leaky check valve/air stem, is pressurize the fount, close the air stem, remove the plunger and pour a few drops of alcohol into the pump tube. If it bubbles, you have a leak and you'll have to decide whether to replace the check valve/air stem.
Your English is just fine!
snorkel.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
zoomkat
Super Colemanaholic

Post by zoomkat »

"I disassembled it and cleaned it, I managed to start it, but I noticed a problem - fuel is getting into the pump chamber through the check valve, I turned the check valve and there is a small hole under it, I don't know if it should be there to be or not?"

If the snorkel tube and the pump housing are not damaged, then you normally should not be getting any fuel coming into the pump tube. If the check valve is still removed, empty any fuel out of the pump tube, refill the lantern to the fill port, then observe the pump tube for fuel ingress into the pump tube over a couple of hours. If fuel stars filling the tube, then there is probably a crack or hole in the lower pump assembly. If the check valve is installed, fill the lantern, pump it up, ensure the pump needle valve is closed, remove the pump plunger assembly, then monitor for fuel ingress into the pump tube. If there is no fuel leakage into the pump tube, then the pump assembly is probably generally useable. If there is no fuel leakage, you can also put some fuel in the pump tube and check for air leakage (bubbling) around the pump needle valve or around the check valve threads.
Grzegorz

Post by Grzegorz »

Thanks for your answers, but I think I wrote it wrong. Under the check valve is small hole (the black dot in the photo), which enters the fuel into the pump chamber. Should this hole be there or not?
20201230_132212~3 małe.jpg
I will try to clean the check valve and see if it works.
zoomkat
Super Colemanaholic

Post by zoomkat »

The hole does not look like something from corrosion or other random occurrence, but that being said, having a hole there that intentionally connects into the tank below normal fuel level could pose a potential safety hazard.
Grzegorz

Post by Grzegorz »

I understand that the hole cannot be there, can it be fixed somehow, clogged?