Hooking up 20 lb tanks

Post your tech questions here, lots of knowledge available.
BjornBee

Hooking up 20 lb tanks

Post by BjornBee »

Is it possible to hook up a 20 lb tank to a standard Coleman propane lantern?
I have a M/F propane hose. I can use it for a 1 lb tank, but not the 20 pound.
I know they have distribution T's, propane T's, etc.
But do you have to use them?
Is it possible to just run a hose from the 20lb tank, directly into a lantern?
And what do you need to do that?
I did get a bulk adapter. But if I hook that up to the hose and the hose to the bulk adapter on the tank, I'm left with two male ends.
Meaning I need a F/F adapter...or it is not suppose to work that way.
Did you get that?
Thank you.
BjornBee

Re: Hooking up 20 lb tanks

Post by BjornBee »

campinut
Super Colemanaholic

Post by campinut »

You have to have an adjustable regulator. Pressure is too great, coming straight from tank..campinut..
Like a moth at night, I am attracted to the light!..7/7/1964...Russ, from Missouri..
BjornBee

Post by BjornBee »

campinut wrote: Mon Jan 04, 2021 2:16 pm You have to have an adjustable regulator. Pressure is too great, coming straight from tank..campinut..
So what is linked above would work from harbor freight?
Are all regulators "standard"? I'm not sure of "adjustable'....???
Thank you
Tgarner01
Super Colemanaholic

Post by Tgarner01 »

I'm running a bernz single mantle lantern strait off of a 20lb tank. Same pressure the 1lb tanks run.
Toby Garner, from SW Missouri
ICCC #1939
campinut
Super Colemanaholic

Post by campinut »

Some lanterns have built in regulators..campinut..
Like a moth at night, I am attracted to the light!..7/7/1964...Russ, from Missouri..
zoomkat
Super Colemanaholic

Post by zoomkat »

"Is it possible to hook up a 20 lb tank to a standard Coleman propane lantern?"

Probably, if you get the proper connective fittings. The pressure in the 20 lb tank is the same as in the 1 lb bottles (assuming they are the same temperature).
MotorcycleDan
Serious Colemanaholic

Post by MotorcycleDan »

Here is the hose that you need. You do not want one with a regulator. The lantern has the regulator built into it. If it did not, then you would need one on a 1 lb. bottle to a lantern or stove.

https://www.mrheater.com/6ft-buddy-seri ... -hose.html

The other way of doing it is to use a propane tree. That way you do not have to hang the lantern somewhere.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Coleman-30-i ... f061adf280
Dan ICCC #900
ICCC Treasure
Pancholoco1911
Super Colemanaholic

Post by Pancholoco1911 »

Yes, is posible. I run my 426 directly from 20 lb tank no regulator needed, just get the adapter for your tank
~Pancho~

ICCC MEMBER #: 1993
curtludwig
Super Colemanaholic

Post by curtludwig »

When I was a Boy Scout in the late '80s/early '90s we ran our lanterns on a tree using a 20# propane tank. Used the same tree to fire a propane stove or two. Was a very efficient way to feed a bunch of hungry scouts on those campouts where hauling the 20# can was an option.
Curt

2017 ICCC Convention Host

BernzOmatic Appreciation Club #019

http://www.youtube.com/c/lanternlabs
Gunhippie
Super Colemanaholic

Post by Gunhippie »

I run a Berzo Porta-A-Lite and my 426 directly off a 20 lb can. No problems. Both the 1 lb and bulk tanks store the propane as a liquid, so the pressure from either would be the same.
It's priceless until someone puts a price on it.
Walk a mile in a man's shoes before you criticize him--then you're a mile away, and he has no shoes.
Texan's last words: "Y'all--hold my beer--I wanta' try sumptin'."
Timm--Middle of nowhere, near the end of the road, Oregon.
Masseyhouse

Post by Masseyhouse »

I have have this one
We place a Propane Lantern on top (usually a NorthStar) and connected the stoves via hoses.

https://www.amazon.com/Coleman-Expandab ... 57&sr=8-10

Mr. Heater sells one as well...
https://www.amazon.com/Mr-Heater-Propan ... 157&sr=8-9
Deacon Jeff at Masseyhouse@yahoo.com
outlawmws
Super Colemanaholic

Post by outlawmws »

Yep Profane bulk tank mast is the hot setup. I used a small single mantle up top as its more economical and the glare from the doubles in your eyes was a pain. a lot smaller to transport as well.

Again as mentioned, the masts have one or two outlets for other Profanes, and I used one for the stove and another for the BBQ when fire restrictions didn't allow fires or charcoal BBQ's...

I should sell my "spare" profane stuff...
[Logo%20Outlaw-half] 
Coleman Blue's 243's #341 - 275 Appreciation Syndicate member 0242
FAS #001 Confusing Future Generations of Collectors, One Lantern at a Time!

“A Human Being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, give orders, take orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook  a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly.  Specialization is for insects.”            - Lazarus Long

dbhost
Colmanaholic

Post by dbhost »

I use a propane distribution tree. However the one I use is out of production. The MFG I don't believe exists any more (Century MFG).

Basically it's a metal pipe that attaches to the valve and supports off the tank with some mechanism. Mine clamps to the safety ring.

Anyway just screw it to the top outlet of the post and you will have 2 outlets for stoves, and / or heaters.

If I were to get a new production propane distribution tree I would probably go for one of the collapbile ones so they don't take up so much space in transit. I like the Camco but haven't had one myself. I know their hoses are awsome.

https://amzn.to/3ogwE06

In my video at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CeVCKtl ... esWorkshop you can see the Coleman QuickPack lantern set up on the distribution post prior to me fixing hte issue with the ventilator, the spring clip that held it steady and kept the globe from rattling wasn't formed to the proper shape during manufacturing. I fixed it and have since used this lantern several times, including from the post.
Love my old school Coleman liquid fuel gear. Looking for tips and tricks to make the most of it.

-Dave
dbhost
Colmanaholic

Post by dbhost »

outlawmws wrote: Tue Jan 05, 2021 2:34 am Yep Profane bulk tank mast is the hot setup. I used a small single mantle up top as its more economical and the glare from the doubles in your eyes was a pain. a lot smaller to transport as well.

Again as mentioned, the masts have one or two outlets for other Profanes, and I used one for the stove and another for the BBQ when fire restrictions didn't allow fires or charcoal BBQ's...

What is this spare profane stuff you speak of?

Seriously, both propane and whtie gas / dual fuel have their place. Just getting fuel out of the bulk tanks and into your propane appliance is a bit more involved gear and cost wise vs a simple filter funnel and a gallon of camp fuel. I think if you are wanting super easy to use once set up, and equipped with the latest safety features, Profane is the way to go...
Love my old school Coleman liquid fuel gear. Looking for tips and tricks to make the most of it.

-Dave
outlawmws
Super Colemanaholic

Post by outlawmws »

dbhost wrote: Tue Jan 05, 2021 8:28 pm
outlawmws wrote: Tue Jan 05, 2021 2:34 am Yep Profane bulk tank mast is the hot setup. I used a small single mantle up top as its more economical and the glare from the doubles in your eyes was a pain. a lot smaller to transport as well.

What is this spare profane stuff you speak of?

Seriously, both propane and whtie gas / dual fuel have their place. Just getting fuel out of the bulk tanks and into your propane appliance is a bit more involved gear and cost wise vs a simple filter funnel and a gallon of camp fuel. I think if you are wanting super easy to use once set up, and equipped with the latest safety features, Profane is the way to go...

Been there done that 2X, I started on CF switched to profane as it was like you said - then the cheap and easy 1lb canisters got expensive, and I started migrating back to CF, but I STILL brought a 20# tank for the stove and 1 lantern on the mast. Then I started wanting to gear up for only my Samurai, and the double fuel load was killing me for space, not to mention in very cold weather Profane gets iffy...

Then I wanted to be able to do overnighters without the trailer, and REALLY needed to cut volume, so Profane went away for both reasons, space and cold weather. I am now profane free unless I have to bring a small profane BBQ for fire restrictions. but barring that, I'm profane free. I have small KK mod. 3 stove, small lantern, even a small 519 CF heater if needed...

I have no other intention of using profane, unless its for emergency backup and fuel is a problem. (So I don't need several profane stoves, heaters, and lanterns...)

I won't have a duel fuel for regular use, they are inefficient on CF, and RUG can easily gum them up, not to mention with all the additives, who knows what they are exhausting - RUG is formulated to run clean in cars with catalytic converters and all that goes with it. its NOT designed to use for stoves and lanterns... Can you? yes - but not me.

So no, in my world they don't have a place...
[Logo%20Outlaw-half] 
Coleman Blue's 243's #341 - 275 Appreciation Syndicate member 0242
FAS #001 Confusing Future Generations of Collectors, One Lantern at a Time!

“A Human Being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, give orders, take orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook  a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly.  Specialization is for insects.”            - Lazarus Long

Pancholoco1911
Super Colemanaholic

Post by Pancholoco1911 »

This is what you need to connect to your actual hose
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
~Pancho~

dbhost
Colmanaholic

Post by dbhost »

Pancholoco1911 wrote: Tue Jan 05, 2021 9:29 pm This is what you need to connect to your actual hose
And use the lantern sideways? I guess.

-Dave
Pancholoco1911
Super Colemanaholic

Post by Pancholoco1911 »

dbhost wrote: Tue Jan 05, 2021 9:40 pm
Pancholoco1911 wrote: Tue Jan 05, 2021 9:29 pm This is what you need to connect to your actual hose
And use the lantern sideways? I guess.
I said for actual hose. But if he get this he could rind the lantern vertical 😝
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
~Pancho~