Holes in Coleman #11 mantles

Post your tech questions here, lots of knowledge available.
jamessveta

Holes in Coleman #11 mantles

Post by jamessveta »

Hello Everyone,
I have read here in the forum about quality issues with Coleman mantles. I have been having a lot of problems with Colemans' #11 mantles for my 639C Kerosene lantern. When I do the pre-burn before lighting the lantern I get a hole in the mantle. I'm very careful when I do this but still seem to get a hole. I've never had this trouble with the #21 and #95 mantles just the #11. I've ordered some Peerless mantles and will give them a try next time I need to put a new mantle on my 639C. I post a photo with this so you can see. I have tried using a match and a lighter but it didn't make any difference. Thanks.
James
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Hot_Diggity
Super Colemanaholic

Re: Holes in Coleman #11 mantles

Post by Hot_Diggity »

You might try a Lighthouse 525. I have switched to them exclusively for my big singles.
Lighthouse mantles vs Peerless.jpg
They look ridiculously large before you burn them in, but they fill out nice and round and burn white. This one is on a 237A. (I had borrowed the preheat cup and forgot to put it back.)
Lighthouse 525.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Chuck, 3/61, ICCC 1689
Milspec Syndicate #510
Coleman 275 Appreciation Syndicate #0510
Coleman Quick Lite Crew #12
BernzOmatic Appreciation Club #510
Coleman Slant Saver #510
Frank Appreciation Syndicate Member #2
Tinker, Toy maker, Trash picker, Wickie, Lamp loon
Pancholoco1911
Super Colemanaholic

Post by Pancholoco1911 »

X2 on the Lighthouse mantles
~Pancho~

ICCC MEMBER #: 1993
Launchpad95

Post by Launchpad95 »

James, I have had the same issue with holes in the last batch of 21 Coleman mantles that I have. I have also tried to burn them in differently but I would say 50% still develop holes in them on the first light up. I have had better luck with peerless mantles as of late.
Tom 

Leviticus_Tomethreus
Super Colemanaholic

Post by Leviticus_Tomethreus »

Coleman mantles aren’t of any great quality these days. Lighthouse mantles are great for 500cp and peerless for all the rest is what I do. Although, the best runner get silkies.
My friends don’t call me “Lantern/lampie Levi” for nothin’,if they did call me that.
Looking for bday lanterns 8/38, 8/41,
10/25, and 8/07
The biggest lie I tell myself is ”I don’t need to write that down, I’ll remember it.”
Now officially ICCC member #1995. Most likely the youngest member with a registered name.

You guessed it, Levi Tomey 
alciuffetelli

Post by alciuffetelli »

same problem with 21s...especially, it seems, with those coming out of 4-paks (?). I took four mantles out of a pack a few weeks ago to inspect them for damage after having "issues". I found that each of the four mantles was a different size to begin with, which explained why some mantles don't seem to shrink equally. This becomes obvious on a 2-mantle lantern. In addition to holes, I find dull spots on mantle when lit. I think the rayon tubes get soaked in ytrium solution to leave a metal dioxide skeleton behind after priming. If the "soak" isn't done well and uniformly, and there is not sufficient attention paid to how long the tubes of rayon are cut...this is what happens. So, I don't think it's the materials involved, but the process. All comes down to human error...which probably means a human running some machine isn't paying attention.
Al Ciuffetelli
ICCC#1977
LongDuck

How are you burning them in? I still see green around the cap.

Post by LongDuck »

Regardless of manufacturer, I install the mantle wit the string tied loosely, tighten the string, and then tie the double-overhand knot to hold it. Then I separate the folds of the mantle where it's been punched around the burner cap so as to equalize the spacing between the folds. This makes for less stress on the mantle once burned in. Puff out the body of the mantle as round as you can, turn it so the flatest part is facing the generator, and ready to burn.

I also use a butane lighter of low pressure to burn them in, starting from the bottom, and keep the flame moving around the edges so that it contracts as evenly as possible while its shrinking and burning. I even keep the flame on the tied section of mantle where the cap and string are so that it's fully burned black then white. If there's just a bit of black between the folds, but the rest is white, that's good enough.

Coleman recommends burning new mantles for at least 30min. This let's every bit of the mantle get up to temp, and when done this way, on cool-down the mantle is completely white.

Yours seem to be tearing at the burner cap. Is that happening consistently?
Birthday 200A & 6/83 Last of the 220K's
Phredd
Serious Colemanaholic

Post by Phredd »

I have had good success with all the Coleman #21 4pk mantles I bought when MallWart had a big sale a couple years back (on sale for 59 or 79 cents for a four pack). And most of them work fine. I would estimate the failure rate to be about 4-5% - and since I got LOT of them this is not a big issue for me.

Also - I contacted Coleman Support when one four pack was missing stings and the other had two that had holes after burn in. They were very nice and said they would send replacements. After about 6 weeks I received one two pack..... so much for customer relations.

Phredd
ICCC#1799
Coleman Quick Lite Crew #40
jamessveta

Post by jamessveta »

Hot_Diggity wrote: Tue Jan 05, 2021 3:58 am You might try a Lighthouse 525. I have switched to them exclusively for my big singles.

Lighthouse mantles vs Peerless.jpg

They look ridiculously large before you burn them in, but they fill out nice and round and burn white. This one is on a 237A. (I had borrowed the preheat cup and forgot to put it back.)
Lighthouse 525.jpg
Where did you purchase them from?
Outback

Post by Outback »

With new mantles I squirt methylated spirits (alcohol) over the mantle which helps the mantle to bag down.

Light it and preheat the lantern at the same time.
Hot_Diggity
Super Colemanaholic

Post by Hot_Diggity »

The Lighthouse 525 is the replacement tie on mantle for the Midstate 450 Propane lamp. Searching for either name should bring up suppliers.
Chuck, 3/61, ICCC 1689
Milspec Syndicate #510
Coleman 275 Appreciation Syndicate #0510
Coleman Quick Lite Crew #12
BernzOmatic Appreciation Club #510
Coleman Slant Saver #510
Frank Appreciation Syndicate Member #2
Tinker, Toy maker, Trash picker, Wickie, Lamp loon
Billdog37
Colmanaholic

Post by Billdog37 »

I've had holes appear in Coleman and Peerless mantles after burn in. It happens and no big deal. Tie on another one. In the grand scheme it's the cost of doing business. .75 mantle vs $40.00 original globe.
Bill
ICCC# 1225
jamessveta

Post by jamessveta »

Billdog37 wrote: Wed Jan 06, 2021 4:55 am I've had holes appear in Coleman and Peerless mantles after burn in. It happens and no big deal. Tie on another one. In the grand scheme it's the cost of doing business. .75 mantle vs $40.00 original globe.
I guess I have a different mindset when it comes to things like that. If I pay money for something I expect it to work as it should. When I'm getting about a 75% failure rate then I think that is unacceptable. I work in a manufacturing environment where poor quality and workmanship are not tolerated at all.
BrianBo

Post by BrianBo »

I have no quantitative data, but I feel that I have better mantle success if I let the mantle cool for 5 minutes or so before I light the lantern or Aladdin lamp.
pagrey

Post by pagrey »

Carefully inspect the mantles before you light them. In my opinion all of my Coleman 21 failures were holes that were present before burning them in. After careful inspection prior to burning I've had no issues, just a pile of defective un-burned mantles.
Paul