Coleman fuel

Post your tech questions here, lots of knowledge available.
Up to Light

Coleman fuel

Post by Up to Light »

Hello!

I watched a video today on how to store your Coleman lanterns and stoves. The person in the video said that it is best to completely drain all the Coleman fuel and leave the fuel cap open so fumes will escape and tanks/founts will dry within. I was surprised to hear this! All my life I have left the Coleman fuel in the the tanks/founts, but I do open fuel caps to release any pressure and then close fuel cap. What do you all think of this? To drain or not to drain?

Up to light
zoomkat
Super Colemanaholic

Re: Coleman fuel

Post by zoomkat »

I leave fuel in mine with the fuel cap gasket relaxed.
Dmacp
Super Colemanaholic

Post by Dmacp »

some of the ones I've gotten were never drained. and I wish they were. For long term storage drained is probably better. Indoors too.
Dan
ICCC member #604
LongDuck

Full fount let's that rust preventative work.

Post by LongDuck »

Pressurized will further help to reduce internal rust or corrosion, but any high humidity environment will have you pumping water vapor into the fount with every pump. That water will form as a droplet in the bottom of the fount, and if left in long enough, start to rust.

This is why Coleman recommended dumping and rinsing after 50hrs of operation on the milspec. This would remove the water droplet through rinsing as it wouldn't be evacuated u less the fount were run completely dry on a perfectly level surface.

I live in a low humidity desert and never have to worry about rust, but anyone near water would have reason for concern. All of my lanterns are stored full up with fuel and sealed tightly, pricker cleaner turned up (closed).
Birthday 200A & 6/83 Last of the 220K's
74HARLEY
Super Colemanaholic

Post by 74HARLEY »

Most of mine are stored with fuel, cap tight.
Joe
looking for 200a 11-56,9-77,2-65 Coleman 275 appreciation syndicate member #0004 ICCC #1262
Coleman Quick Lite Crew #19
Frank appreciation syndicate member #9
Up to Light

Post by Up to Light »

Thank you Zoomcat, dmacp, longduck, 74Harley for your input on my question! Have a good day!

Up to light
alciuffetelli

Post by alciuffetelli »

leaving them open allows fresh, moisture laden air to continually enter...and in cold temps, that moist air condenses leaving liquid water behind. Just think about how water condenses from the air on any relatively cool surface ...your car, your windows, your patio furniture...summer or winter. The only way you should store founts "open" and drained is in a completely climate controlled environment...warm (with no big temperature swings) and dry. I've literally had lanterns stored pressurized with fuel in them for over 20 years in the loft of a garage. Fired up first try. Had a friend clean that same one up for a complete restoration some years later and he commented how he couldn't really find any rust worth mentioning in the fount with his inspection camera. I think that's pretty convincing empirical evidence.
Al Ciuffetelli
ICCC#1977
MotorcycleDan
Serious Colemanaholic

Post by MotorcycleDan »

For me, the shelf queens are drained and dried out because they are displayed in the house. The fuel caps are just a little snug so air does not pass in or out, but they are not tight. For my users, they always have some level of fuel in them. Even if they are not used for a year. Caps are tight.
Dan ICCC #900
ICCC Treasure
Chucker

Post by Chucker »

MotorcycleDan wrote: Tue Jan 05, 2021 3:43 pm For me, the shelf queens are drained and dried out because they are displayed in the house. The fuel caps are just a little snug so air does not pass in or out, but they are not tight. For my users, they always have some level of fuel in them. Even if they are not used for a year. Caps are tight.

Same here.
Chuck
"...Good people pass away; the godly often die before their time. But no one seems to care or wonder why. No one seems to understand that God is protecting them from the evil days to come." Matthew 57:1

Eye-SEE-C-C Member #1333 -- MilSpecOps #003
"Michigan - from the Ojibwa word “meicigama,” meaning “great water.”
dbhost
Colmanaholic

Post by dbhost »

I have tried both ways, I used to store with fuel in the tank and some pressure on it, until the packing on the generator valve went bad on my 424 and I had to replace it. I am trying now with an empty tank and the cap on, threaded, but not tight.
Love my old school Coleman liquid fuel gear. Looking for tips and tricks to make the most of it.

-Dave
Deanofid

Post by Deanofid »

Just let your lantern burn until it goes out after you close the fuel valve. That is all you need to do. That will burn up the left over fuel in the generator and it will then be clean. The next time you go to start up your lantern, all will be fine.
Many years experience here. Do it that way, no problems.
Dean -Midnight Kerosene Ritualist--Deans Machine:  Deansmachine.com  
ICCC #1220.   275 commiseration #0018.
"In Him was life, and His life was the Light of men."  John 1:4
Kgam1020
Super Colemanaholic

Post by Kgam1020 »

I agree with Dean. All my lanterns and stoves have some level of fuel in them. If I'm not going to use the GPA for a while I release the pressure from the fount or stove tank and then tighten the cap slightly. Never had a problem.
Ken.
Looking for Bday lanterns, 10/83, 11/84 and 10/2011.
Milspec Syndicate member #1020 
Stovie

Post by Stovie »

Thought I remember reading vintage Coleman literature somewhere along the line that suggested storage with 8 to 10 pumps (slight) pressure? Did I dream that?

To me it makes a certain sense to keep fuel in it in the short term, 6 months to a year. If I'm camping 3 months from now that's one thing, 3 years from now, not so much. Temperature extremes might factor. I'm not persuaded that longer time frames are harmful but in practice, moisture buildup is cumulative. That's why Coleman was very insistent about swishing old fuel wih fresh clean fuel. Rust inhibitors work, but they get used up over time doing their work. An additional consideration, with Coleman fuel $17 a gallon + tax I'm too cheap to leave it in the tank and possibly get fouled!
Up to Light

Post by Up to Light »

Thank you alceiuffetelli, motorcycudan, chuker,dbhost,deanofid, kgam1020 and stovie!
Very interesting responses! Thanks again!

Up to light