Faded globes...

Post your tech questions here, lots of knowledge available.
alciuffetelli

Faded globes...

Post by alciuffetelli »

Has anyone ever found a way to refresh the faded print on the older globes? I'm thinking there must be some way to add a little red, green or white pigment to the etched surface of the lettering that has faded. I realize it would have to be relatively heat resistant and able to be fairly easily removed from the surrounding smooth glass of the globe. Thinking about using a thinned VHT, wipe on, then polish the glass? Feel free to tell me why this is a foolish thought...
Al Ciuffetelli
ICCC#1977
Tgarner01
Super Colemanaholic

Re: Faded globes...

Post by Tgarner01 »

Al I've not tried restoring them but I have played around with painting some custom globes with good results using VHT

Toby Garner, from SW Missouri
ICCC #1939
rob_pontius
Super Colemanaholic

Post by rob_pontius »

The logos aren't etched into the globes, they're painted on. You would need to find a way to apply the paint on top of a raised surface.
Rob
alciuffetelli

Post by alciuffetelli »

rob_pontius wrote: Tue Jan 05, 2021 10:11 pm The logos aren't etched into the globes, they're painted on. You would need to find a way to apply the paint on top of a raised surface.
well, then, I guess my idea won't work...cuz I definitely ain't no artist!
Al Ciuffetelli
ICCC#1977
Tgarner01
Super Colemanaholic

Post by Tgarner01 »

Al I'm going to get started on a painted globe project I had forgotten about... Hopefully pictures tomorrow. Time permitting.
ICCC #1939
Phredd
Serious Colemanaholic

Post by Phredd »

Toby - nice paint job. I assume you use a stencil? And then spray paint?

Kevin

Phredd
ICCC#1799
Coleman Quick Lite Crew #40
Tgarner01
Super Colemanaholic

Post by Tgarner01 »

Phredd wrote: Tue Jan 05, 2021 11:10 pm Toby - nice paint job. I assume you use a stencil? And then spray paint?

Kevin
Kevin the one above was stenciled with vinyl then etched with a sandblaster and a couple coats of VHT baked per instructions on the can.

Tomorrow will just be a vinyl stencil and a high temp paint pen... Cutting stencils tonight.. Should have some results tomorrow.
ICCC #1939
Tgarner01
Super Colemanaholic

Post by Tgarner01 »

Okay I had a few minutes to run back to the shop this evening and get a stencil and some paint on my experimental globe... Actually laid down splochy kind of like the old Coleman straitlines looked... Will get some more results in the morning.

ICCC #1939
Tgarner01
Super Colemanaholic

Post by Tgarner01 »

Well a little success, a little failure this morning. The large print came out looking really good. Even kind of splochy like the original straitline globes. The finer sunrise the paint wanted to stay with the vinyl when I removed it... Still looks better than some of my sunrise globes 😁

I will run this today to see if it burns off, then I'll give it a rub with my thumb and see if it comes off...

ICCC #1939
Hamtramck_Stan

Post by Hamtramck_Stan »

Tgarner01 wrote: Tue Jan 05, 2021 4:50 pm Al I've not tried restoring them but I have played around with painting some custom globes with good results using VHT

Toby, after baking the VHT to the globe, how well does the paint remain adhered to the glass surface?
ICCC #1973
275 Appreciation Syndicate #0246

"Do not pray for easy lives; pray to be stronger people. Do not pray for tasks equal to your powers; pray for powers equal to your tasks" - Bl. Solanus Casey of Detroit, MI (1870-1957)

Extra ecclesiam nulla salus
Tgarner01
Super Colemanaholic

Post by Tgarner01 »

Hamtramck_Stan wrote: Wed Jan 06, 2021 3:48 pm
Tgarner01 wrote: Tue Jan 05, 2021 4:50 pm Al I've not tried restoring them but I have played around with painting some custom globes with good results using VHT

Toby, after baking the VHT to the globe, how well does the paint remain adhered to the glass surface?
Seems to hold up well. I've got lots of run time on it and occasionally rub it with my thumb and no paint loss to speak of. Have not tried common window cleaners on it yet.
ICCC #1939