Lower mica chimney?

Post your tech questions here, lots of knowledge available.
hikerduane
Super Colemanaholic

Lower mica chimney?

Post by hikerduane »

Except for the lighting door, this chimney on the left would fit my Sunshine Safety lantern if I cut the metal off the top, would look like the original. Dremel cut disc? Possible? Designs are the same for holding the mica in except for the lighting door on the left chimney. I have a couple unused chimneys.
Duane
20210106_090831_opt.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Duane-All seasons, year round backpacker and camper.  So many stoves and lanterns, who's counting.
zoomkat
Super Colemanaholic

Re: Lower mica chimney?

Post by zoomkat »

I'd go with a Dremel cutoff wheel. Probably the best control compared to snips and other methods.
Pancholoco1911
Super Colemanaholic

Post by Pancholoco1911 »

Order one from Fred or post a WTB. I wouldn’t touch the taller mica chimney
~Pancho~

ICCC MEMBER #: 1993
hikerduane
Super Colemanaholic

Post by hikerduane »

Yes, thought of posting, so hard to come by, Fred is stacked up I'm sure.
Duane
Duane-All seasons, year round backpacker and camper.  So many stoves and lanterns, who's counting.
JimL
Super Colemanaholic

Post by JimL »

I too think you ought to order from Fred, even if he is backlogged. If you cut it, your next find just might require that taller chimney.
-Jim

Flammable liquids, open flame, what could go wrong?

You shouldn't believe anything until it's been officially denied - Claud Cockburn
zoomkat
Super Colemanaholic

Post by zoomkat »

Making mica globes might be a good skill to develop for when replacements become scarce.
Tgarner01
Super Colemanaholic

Post by Tgarner01 »

I have a feeling that original Mica is worth more than the lantern you're trying to dress up... Maybe not..
Toby Garner, from SW Missouri
ICCC #1939
hikerduane
Super Colemanaholic

Post by hikerduane »

Tgarner01 wrote: Wed Jan 06, 2021 7:48 pm I have a feeling that original Mica is worth more than the lantern you're trying to dress up... Maybe not..
Yes, have thought of that too, would hate to cut one down and it still isn't original style for the lantern. Dragging my feet. I don't have Fred's phone #, he doesn't respond to email. Thank you guys for your thoughts, will see it I can find his #. I've ordered before and got a smaller one from that guy in Canada too.
Duane
Tgarner01
Super Colemanaholic

Post by Tgarner01 »

Duane PM me your email. I've got a Fred pdf that I don't know how to share through the forum email.
ICCC #1939
hikerduane
Super Colemanaholic

Post by hikerduane »

Tgarner01 wrote: Wed Jan 06, 2021 8:14 pm Duane PM me your email. I've got a Fred pdf that I don't know how to share through the forum email.
Thank you for the offer, I found his old PDF online, left a message. Looks like a 323 is the size I need.
Duane
Tgarner01
Super Colemanaholic

Post by Tgarner01 »

hikerduane wrote: Wed Jan 06, 2021 8:21 pm
Tgarner01 wrote: Wed Jan 06, 2021 8:14 pm Duane PM me your email. I've got a Fred pdf that I don't know how to share through the forum email.
Thank you for the offer, I found his old PDF online, left a message. Looks like a 323 is the size I need.
Duane
That would be my guess. Hopefully he'll contact you soon
ICCC #1939
Pancholoco1911
Super Colemanaholic

Post by Pancholoco1911 »

Old Fred's PDF

http://www.eschaefer.de/hobbys/starkl/Fred_2009-06.pdf

For current prices please call him. I was told he doesn't check emails so often.
~Pancho~

ICCC MEMBER #: 1993
zoomkat
Super Colemanaholic

Post by zoomkat »

I don't have any mica globes, but if I come across one I'll probably get it just to study its construction. Making one DIY would be an interesting project. I've saved some flat plastic aluminum food pan covers to cut up and stand in for the mica sheets during a project.
hikerduane
Super Colemanaholic

Post by hikerduane »

I have the old toothless chimney frame, after working on it for a few minutes the other day, don't even think I would tackle it if snowed in for 6 months. Fred must have a process, maybe preforming much of the frame.
Duane
rob_pontius
Super Colemanaholic

Post by rob_pontius »

I believe that shorter mica globe should be the correct height for the early air-o-lantern with the 3 tabbed vent. The taller one should fit any model made after the vent changed.
Rob
hikerduane
Super Colemanaholic

Post by hikerduane »

Thank you guys.
Ordered three globes this morning, check in the mail tomorrow. Couple for my 242/234's. Whoop, whoop!
Duane
MartyJ
Colmanaholic

Post by MartyJ »

Duane, save any of those old frames. I’ve been experimenting with window screen for my old frames missing the mica.
Marty
hikerduane
Super Colemanaholic

Post by hikerduane »

Ok. I do have a screen chimney that fits a 242, came with all those lamp parts from last summers auction.
Duane
MartyJ
Colmanaholic

Post by MartyJ »

I would be glad to buy/trade with you if you don’t want it. No re use just something I have been playing with.
Marty
hikerduane
Super Colemanaholic

Post by hikerduane »

Marty, if we can ever camp someplace again, will give you.
Duane
MartyJ
Colmanaholic

Re: Lower mica chimney

Post by MartyJ »

Sounds like a plan, hopefully soon.
Marty
paulbarrette
Serious Colemanaholic

Post by paulbarrette »

hikerduane wrote: Wed Jan 06, 2021 8:05 pm
Tgarner01 wrote: Wed Jan 06, 2021 7:48 pm I have a feeling that original Mica is worth more than the lantern you're trying to dress up... Maybe not..
Yes, have thought of that too, would hate to cut one down and it still isn't original style for the lantern. Dragging my feet. I don't have Fred's phone #, he doesn't respond to email. Thank you guys for your thoughts, will see it I can find his #. I've ordered before and got a smaller one from that guy in Canada too.
Duane
Duane, there is a guy in Canada?

Pb
Paul Barrette
Coleman Quick lite crew #52
Milspec Syndicate #00085
hikerduane
Super Colemanaholic

Post by hikerduane »

paulbarrette wrote: Fri Jan 08, 2021 11:55 pm
hikerduane wrote: Wed Jan 06, 2021 8:05 pm
Duane
Duane, there is a guy in Canada?

Pb
There was a seller in Canada, we believe Fred made them, then he resold them. The one I got from him took 3 or 4 months to get, way beyond his listing on the bay showed. He also sells or sold the newer Peerless mantles.
Duane
paulbarrette
Serious Colemanaholic

Post by paulbarrette »

Good to know dwane. It is easier to order from Fred directly.

Thanks
Pb
Paul Barrette
Coleman Quick lite crew #52
Milspec Syndicate #00085