What up with decals

Post your tech questions here, lots of knowledge available.
BjornBee

What up with decals

Post by BjornBee »

I'm noticing some very nice lanterns and stoves, but they have really messed up decals.
But it seems little paint damage. How do they get so messed up?
Is it fuel that makes the "soft". Heat? water?

And if I wanted to replace with new decals, what the best way to remove the remaining decals with harming the surrounding area or paint?
I'm talking about what I think you call them.... water slide decals.
Thank you.
EARL

Re: What up with decals

Post by EARL »

The topic is discussed frequently. Try using the search function. Lots of answers
BjornBee

Post by BjornBee »

EARL wrote: Fri Jan 08, 2021 2:49 pm The topic is discussed frequently. Try using the search function. Lots of answers
Thanks! I never thought of that. :roll:
That's why I come to a forum....to be told to search the old posts.
25_502s
Super Colemanaholic

Post by 25_502s »

LOL. Then when you post in a old thread someone will tell you it’s better just to start a new thread.

I’ve never removed a decal other that to paint one but it seem like I accidentally removed one with alcohol. You might try that.
Jason
not looking for any more Bday gpas. Honestly, if you have a 10-72 don’t let me know about it.
Coleman 275 Appreciation Syndicate #0214
Coleman Slant Saver #56
Coleman Quick Lite Crew #31
Tgarner01
Super Colemanaholic

Post by Tgarner01 »

BjornBee wrote: Fri Jan 08, 2021 12:41 pm And if I wanted to replace with new decals, what the best way to remove the remaining decals with harming the surrounding area or paint?
Thank you.
My experience with the water slide decals is acetone, or carb cleaner will eat it faster than the paint below it. I just wet a towel and dab the decal slowly making sure not to remove any of the paint underneath the decal. Then buff the renewing paint when through.

You can vaguely see where this one was.

Toby Garner, from SW Missouri
ICCC #1939
Hot_Diggity
Super Colemanaholic

Post by Hot_Diggity »

Denatured alcohol will take the color right off of an original decal. I'm sure there are plenty of other solvents that will damage decals, but the DNA surprised me.

If you haven't applied decals since you built your last plastic model car, it's probably a good idea to watch some YouTube videos.
It sure made it easier to understand.
Chuck, 3/61, ICCC 1689
Milspec Syndicate #510
Coleman 275 Appreciation Syndicate #0510
Coleman Quick Lite Crew #12
BernzOmatic Appreciation Club #510
Coleman Slant Saver #510
Frank Appreciation Syndicate Member #2
Tinker, Toy maker, Trash picker, Wickie, Lamp loon
rob_pontius
Super Colemanaholic

Post by rob_pontius »

Over time, the water slide decals shrink. When that happens, it pretty much pulls itself apart. I've had unfired lanterns that come out of the box with cracked and drawn up decals. Chuck hit the nail on the head. Denatured alcohol will completely remove the decal without hurting the paint. If you're thinking about stripping and replacing an original water slide decal, keep in mind that the only decals that are available re vinyl, not water slide. If it's a special lantern, it will decrease it's originality and value.
Rob
BjornBee

Post by BjornBee »

Tgarner01 wrote: Fri Jan 08, 2021 8:58 pm
BjornBee wrote: Fri Jan 08, 2021 12:41 pm And if I wanted to replace with new decals, what the best way to remove the remaining decals with harming the surrounding area or paint?
Thank you.
My experience with the water slide decals is acetone, or carb cleaner will eat it faster than the paint below it. I just wet a towel and dab the decal slowly making sure not to remove any of the paint underneath the decal. Then buff the renewing paint when through.

Thank you.
Follow up question....What can you clean with (especially stoves grime) that does not harm decals?
Is there something that can be used on decals and NOT have them harmed?
Tgarner01
Super Colemanaholic

Post by Tgarner01 »

BjornBee wrote: Sat Jan 09, 2021 2:02 pm
Tgarner01 wrote: Fri Jan 08, 2021 8:58 pm
Thank you.

Thank you.
Follow up question....What can you clean with (especially stoves grime) that does not harm decals?
I've always used warm water and dish soap. Others have used simple green with good results, while others report needing to be very careful with it. Stove grease can be tough to clean, especially with fragile paint and decals beneath it.
Toby Garner, from SW Missouri
ICCC #1939
Greazy

Post by Greazy »

Heat gun always worked for me and not just on lanterns.
Gunhippie
Super Colemanaholic

Post by Gunhippie »

[/quote]
Thank you.
[/quote]

I start with warm water and a mild dish soap like Dawn. If there are oxidized paint, fuel stains or stubborn soot, I'll dry the fount completely and then give it a good rub-down with mineral spirits. Neither of these has damaged a decal for me.
It's priceless until someone puts a price on it.
Walk a mile in a man's shoes before you criticize him--then you're a mile away, and he has no shoes.
Texan's last words: "Y'all--hold my beer--I wanta' try sumptin'."
Timm--Middle of nowhere, near the end of the road, Oregon.
Chucker

Post by Chucker »

When I get to post 1983 lanterns I usually just tape those decals (right over the top of them with masking tape) then do whatever paint or touch up that is needed.

I realize your OP here really referred to the old water slides however if you ever want to have the newer one's, this a a method that's worked for me. Paint matching is a challenge sometimes too but you know that.
Chuck
"...Good people pass away; the godly often die before their time. But no one seems to care or wonder why. No one seems to understand that God is protecting them from the evil days to come." Matthew 57:1

Eye-SEE-C-C Member #1333 -- MilSpecOps #003
"Michigan - from the Ojibwa word “meicigama,” meaning “great water.”