What Could This Be? Update: L220 Slant :)

Post your tech questions here, lots of knowledge available.
Post Reply
User avatar
CoolPro
Colemanaholic
Posts: 402
Joined: Tue Dec 08, 2020 11:50 pm

What Could This Be? Update: L220 Slant :)

#1

Post by CoolPro »

:D Would appreciate help with identifying this one while I'm waiting for the current owner to return from the doctor's office. He says it's missing the generator. Can't see the collar, but the vent details and the fill cap might be clues. I think by the placement of the visible burner that it likely has two of them. Perhaps a 427?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by CoolPro on Sun Jan 31, 2021 8:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CoolPro - Kelly In Alberta
Novice Fettler
User avatar
Tgarner01
Super Colemanaholic
Posts: 5508
Joined: Sun Nov 03, 2019 10:47 pm

Re: What Could This Be? 427?

#2

Post by Tgarner01 »

Kelly that appears to be an L220 that's got a larger vent? If the valve assembly is missing, it could be a pricey replacement piece.
Toby Garner, from SW Missouri
ICCC #1939
User avatar
CoolPro
Colemanaholic
Posts: 402
Joined: Tue Dec 08, 2020 11:50 pm

Re: What Could This Be? 427?

#3

Post by CoolPro »

Tgarner01 wrote: Fri Jan 08, 2021 6:06 pm Kelly that appears to be an L220 that's got a larger vent? If the valve assembly is missing, it could be a pricey replacement piece.
Thank you - it would seem this is missing both the generator and valve assembly. Is it the fill cap that distinguishes it as an L220? The gentleman I'm dealing with over the phone did not seem to know what the lantern was, so what features could I ask him about that would identify it as an L220?

Cheers,
CoolPro - Kelly In Alberta
Novice Fettler
User avatar
Tgarner01
Super Colemanaholic
Posts: 5508
Joined: Sun Nov 03, 2019 10:47 pm

Re: What Could This Be? 427?

#4

Post by Tgarner01 »

Kelly the easiest way to distinguish an L220/228 is be the angled valve/generator setup, these are also called slants. Looking closer at your picture I believe I see the valve assembly. I don't have a good photo showing the valve, generator setup, but this is what it would look like from the front.

Image
Toby Garner, from SW Missouri
ICCC #1939
User avatar
CoolPro
Colemanaholic
Posts: 402
Joined: Tue Dec 08, 2020 11:50 pm

Re: What Could This Be? 427?

#5

Post by CoolPro »

Tgarner01 wrote: Fri Jan 08, 2021 6:24 pm Kelly the easiest way to distinguish an L220/228 is be the angled valve/generator setup, these are also called slants. Looking closer at your picture I believe I see the valve assembly. I don't have a good photo showing the valve, generator setup, but this is what it would look like from the front.
Thanks again - I assume if it was one of these, the open collar area under the globe support frame would be another key feature?

Kelly
CoolPro - Kelly In Alberta
Novice Fettler
User avatar
Tgarner01
Super Colemanaholic
Posts: 5508
Joined: Sun Nov 03, 2019 10:47 pm

Re: What Could This Be? 427?

#6

Post by Tgarner01 »

CoolPro wrote: Fri Jan 08, 2021 6:28 pm
Tgarner01 wrote: Fri Jan 08, 2021 6:24 pm Kelly the easiest way to distinguish an L220/228 is be the angled valve/generator setup, these are also called slants. Looking closer at your picture I believe I see the valve assembly. I don't have a good photo showing the valve, generator setup, but this is what it would look like from the front.
Thanks again - I assume if it was one of these, the open collar area under the globe support frame would be another key feature?

Kelly
It is, altho some Canadian 220A's had a funky collar similar, but that's not what I'm seeing here.
Toby Garner, from SW Missouri
ICCC #1939
User avatar
Tgarner01
Super Colemanaholic
Posts: 5508
Joined: Sun Nov 03, 2019 10:47 pm

Re: What Could This Be? 427?

#7

Post by Tgarner01 »

Here you can kind of see the slant design on this Frank I built.

Image
Toby Garner, from SW Missouri
ICCC #1939
User avatar
CoolPro
Colemanaholic
Posts: 402
Joined: Tue Dec 08, 2020 11:50 pm

Re: What Could This Be? 427?

#8

Post by CoolPro »

I was able to download his posted photos at a bit higher resolution and expand them a bit. Does this look like the slant design opening on the globe support? Also, other photos show more detail on the fill cap and vent / vent nut.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
CoolPro - Kelly In Alberta
Novice Fettler
User avatar
CoolPro
Colemanaholic
Posts: 402
Joined: Tue Dec 08, 2020 11:50 pm

Re: What Could This Be? 427?

#9

Post by CoolPro »

Update - just spoke with him by phone - he says it has Coleman Quick Lite 2-29 (Feb 1929) stamped on it, and indeed the valve assembly is there, he says it just needs a generator - which I would think would take an R55? Think I'm gonna grab it from him. He's sending a few more photos which I'll post for confirmation of model.
CoolPro - Kelly In Alberta
Novice Fettler
User avatar
hikerduane
Super Colemanaholic
Posts: 3091
Joined: Tue Jul 31, 2012 1:33 am

Re: What Could This Be? 427?

#10

Post by hikerduane »

Looks like a slant, has correct collar, poor photos.
Duane
Duane-All seasons, year round backpacker and camper.  So many stoves and lanterns, who's counting.
User avatar
SteveRetherford
Super Colemanaholic
Posts: 8252
Joined: Thu Dec 11, 2008 11:12 pm

Re: What Could This Be? 427?

#11

Post by SteveRetherford »

looks like a mountie or signal vent on it ?
[DrSteve2]    Steve , Keeper of the Light !!!
User avatar
CoolPro
Colemanaholic
Posts: 402
Joined: Tue Dec 08, 2020 11:50 pm

Re: What Could This Be? 427?

#12

Post by CoolPro »

A 220? Or a 228?
Mystery Coleman 8.JPG
Mystery Coleman 9.JPG
Mystery Coleman 10.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
CoolPro - Kelly In Alberta
Novice Fettler
User avatar
Tgarner01
Super Colemanaholic
Posts: 5508
Joined: Sun Nov 03, 2019 10:47 pm

Re: What Could This Be? 427?

#13

Post by Tgarner01 »

CoolPro wrote: Fri Jan 08, 2021 7:28 pm A 220? Or a 228?
Mystery Coleman 8.JPGMystery Coleman 9.JPGMystery Coleman 10.JPG
Appears to be a February of 1929 Canadian L220 Kelly. I don't know much about the Canadian versions to tell you what's correct or not. Maybe adelcoro will be along to help.
Toby Garner, from SW Missouri
ICCC #1939
User avatar
CoolPro
Colemanaholic
Posts: 402
Joined: Tue Dec 08, 2020 11:50 pm

Re: What Could This Be? 427?

#14

Post by CoolPro »

Tgarner01 wrote: Fri Jan 08, 2021 8:47 pm
CoolPro wrote: Fri Jan 08, 2021 7:28 pm A 220? Or a 228?
Mystery Coleman 8.JPGMystery Coleman 9.JPGMystery Coleman 10.JPG
Appears to be a February of 1929 Canadian L220 Kelly. I don't know much about the Canadian versions to tell you what's correct or not. Maybe @adelcoro will be along to help.
Thanks, Toby. I appreciate the ID.

Does anyone know if an R55 generator would work.in this slant?

Cheers,
CoolPro - Kelly In Alberta
Novice Fettler
User avatar
Tgarner01
Super Colemanaholic
Posts: 5508
Joined: Sun Nov 03, 2019 10:47 pm

Re: What Could This Be? 427?

#15

Post by Tgarner01 »

CoolPro wrote: Fri Jan 08, 2021 10:01 pm
Tgarner01 wrote: Fri Jan 08, 2021 8:47 pm
CoolPro wrote: Fri Jan 08, 2021 7:28 pm A 220? Or a 228?
Mystery Coleman 8.JPGMystery Coleman 9.JPGMystery Coleman 10.JPG
Appears to be a February of 1929 Canadian L220 Kelly. I don't know much about the Canadian versions to tell you what's correct or not. Maybe @adelcoro will be along to help.
Thanks, Toby. I appreciate the ID.

Does anyone know if an R55 generator would work.in this slant?

Cheers,
I've got one running an R55. Should be able to run an R55,Q99,Q77, or if threaded for it a T88
Toby Garner, from SW Missouri
ICCC #1939
rob_pontius
Super Colemanaholic
Posts: 2016
Joined: Mon Sep 18, 2017 3:01 am

Re: What Could This Be? 427?

#16

Post by rob_pontius »

Nice Canadian slant find. The Q77 generator isn't too terribly hard to find. Mike at OCP may have them. I bought some from a member here a few years ago who said that he had a ton of them. I can't remember who it was though. Try putting a wtb ad in the classifies. You'll need the generator and the nut.
Rob
User avatar
Scenicruise
Senior Member
Posts: 177
Joined: Wed Sep 30, 2020 6:10 pm

Re: What Could This Be? 427?

#17

Post by Scenicruise »

Did you get it? I saw it on kijiji and was tempted but was too busy to follow up on it / drive to town to get it. The vent looks nice even though it's probably not correct and probably a mountie vent?
Matthew
Coleman Quick Lite Crew #55
User avatar
adelcoro
Super Colemanaholic
Posts: 1829
Joined: Tue Jul 28, 2009 9:14 am

Re: What Could This Be? 427?

#18

Post by adelcoro »

Canadian 220 slant with a wide brim vent
installed along the way should have the small dark green brimless ventilator

Agostino
ICCC 957
User avatar
CoolPro
Colemanaholic
Posts: 402
Joined: Tue Dec 08, 2020 11:50 pm

Re: What Could This Be? 427?

#19

Post by CoolPro »

Scenicruise wrote: Sun Jan 10, 2021 6:47 am Did you get it? I saw it on kijiji and was tempted but was too busy to follow up on it / drive to town to get it. The vent looks nice even though it's probably not correct and probably a mountie vent?
I did get it - or rather my brother did - he picked it up for me. Nice gentleman that owned it - 75 years of life and despite an prosthetic leg, still full of vim and vigor. Obviously not original globe, missing genny & nut, and as Agostino and Toby have both poined out, somehow it got fitted with a replacement ventilator. Hoping there's no other issues. It's now my oldest lantern.

Anyone know where I could source a period-correct mica chimney?

Thanks to all for your assistance in helping me figure out what was in this rather obscure ad. Hoping to show you some fire from it in the coming months!

Cheers!
Last edited by CoolPro on Sun Jan 10, 2021 3:38 pm, edited 2 times in total.
CoolPro - Kelly In Alberta
Novice Fettler
User avatar
CoolPro
Colemanaholic
Posts: 402
Joined: Tue Dec 08, 2020 11:50 pm

Re: What Could This Be? 427?

#20

Post by CoolPro »

adelcoro wrote: Sun Jan 10, 2021 12:13 pm Canadian 220 slant with a wide brim vent
installed along the way should have the small dark green brimless ventilator

Agostino
Thanks Agostino - I've found the correct ventilator but still need to find a period-correct mica chimney and of course choose a generator & nut. Might need your help in figuring out what vent is currently topping this lantern once I get it in my hands.

Cheers,
CoolPro - Kelly In Alberta
Novice Fettler
User avatar
Scenicruise
Senior Member
Posts: 177
Joined: Wed Sep 30, 2020 6:10 pm

Re: What Could This Be? 427?

#21

Post by Scenicruise »

CoolPro wrote: Sun Jan 10, 2021 2:51 pm
Scenicruise wrote: Sun Jan 10, 2021 6:47 am Did you get it? I saw it on kijiji and was tempted but was too busy to follow up on it / drive to town to get it. The vent looks nice even though it's probably not correct and probably a mountie vent?
I did get it - or rather my brother did - he picked it up for me. Nice gentleman that owned it - 75 years of life and despite an prosthetic leg, still full of vim and vigor. Obviously not original globe, missing genny & nut, and as Agostino and Toby have both poined out, somehow it got fitted with a replacement ventilator. Hoping there's no other issues. It's now my oldest lantern.

Anyone know where I could source a period-correct mica chimney?

Thanks to all for your assistance in helping me figure out what was in this rather obscure ad. Hoping to show you some fire from it in the coming months!

Cheers!
Good to hear it went to good (collectors) home! I believe you'll need to get in touch with Fred Kuntz for a repro mica.
Matthew
Coleman Quick Lite Crew #55
User avatar
CoolPro
Colemanaholic
Posts: 402
Joined: Tue Dec 08, 2020 11:50 pm

Re: What Could This Be? 427?

#22

Post by CoolPro »

Thanks, Matthew. I've sent an email to Fred.

Cheers!
CoolPro - Kelly In Alberta
Novice Fettler
User avatar
adelcoro
Super Colemanaholic
Posts: 1829
Joined: Tue Jul 28, 2009 9:14 am

Re: What Could This Be? 427?

#23

Post by adelcoro »

CoolPro wrote: Sun Jan 10, 2021 2:52 pm
adelcoro wrote: Sun Jan 10, 2021 12:13 pm Canadian 220 slant with a wide brim vent
installed along the way should have the small dark green brimless ventilator

Agostino
Thanks Agostino - I've found the correct ventilator but still need to find a period-correct mica chimney and of course choose a generator & nut. Might need your help in figuring out what vent is currently topping this lantern once I get it in my hands.

Cheers,


Sure let me know
We can figure out if its Canadian or US

Agostino
ICCC 957
Dvan95
Senior Member
Posts: 151
Joined: Sun Apr 19, 2020 9:02 pm

Re: What Could This Be? 427?

#24

Post by Dvan95 »

That's a great score! The incorrect vent makes it unique :) Coleman's early stuff is their best!
-Dan

Coleman Quick Lite Crew #048

 Anyone have a 6/95 birthday lantern?
Dvan95
Senior Member
Posts: 151
Joined: Sun Apr 19, 2020 9:02 pm

Re: What Could This Be? 427?

#25

Post by Dvan95 »

That's a great score! The incorrect vent makes it unique :) Coleman's early stuff is their best!
-Dan

Coleman Quick Lite Crew #048

 Anyone have a 6/95 birthday lantern?
User avatar
CoolPro
Colemanaholic
Posts: 402
Joined: Tue Dec 08, 2020 11:50 pm

Re: What Could This Be? 427?

#26

Post by CoolPro »

[/quote]

Thanks Agostino - I've found the correct ventilator but still need to find a period-correct mica chimney and of course choose a generator & nut. Might need your help in figuring out what vent is currently topping this lantern once I get it in my hands.

Cheers,
[/quote]
Sure let me know
We can figure out if its Canadian or US

Agostino
[/quote]

The L220 I bought is still safely with my brother in Edmonton, but I remembered I did have one shot of the (incorrect) vent that topped it. Can you ID the vent from this photo, Agostino? Some thought it might be a Mountie.

Cheers
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
CoolPro - Kelly In Alberta
Novice Fettler
User avatar
CoolPro
Colemanaholic
Posts: 402
Joined: Tue Dec 08, 2020 11:50 pm

Re: What Could This Be? Update: L220 Slant :)

#27

Post by CoolPro »

Finally received this Feb-29 L220 lantern after my brother picked it up for me months ago. Should be a fun project...Anyone have a spare mica chimney and period correct generator and jamb nut they would be willing to send my way? Not sure about the fount, but I do have an orphan 10-28 spare slant fount just in case....

Cheers!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
CoolPro - Kelly In Alberta
Novice Fettler
User avatar
Tgarner01
Super Colemanaholic
Posts: 5508
Joined: Sun Nov 03, 2019 10:47 pm

Re: What Could This Be? Update: L220 Slant :)

#28

Post by Tgarner01 »

Nice find Kelly! OCP should have your generator and nut. Also Fred should be able to get you fixed up on a new Mica if interested. That fount appears to have had the entire bottom soldered... I'd look it over closely, luckily you have a spare 👍
Toby Garner, from SW Missouri
ICCC #1939
User avatar
CoolPro
Colemanaholic
Posts: 402
Joined: Tue Dec 08, 2020 11:50 pm

Re: What Could This Be? Update: L220 Slant :)

#29

Post by CoolPro »

Tgarner01 wrote: Sun Apr 04, 2021 11:00 am Nice find Kelly! OCP should have your generator and nut. Also Fred should be able to get you fixed up on a new Mica if interested. That fount appears to have had the entire bottom soldered... I'd look it over closely, luckily you have a spare 👍
Thanks! I have an R55 I will likely use for testing. Fred is a tough man to get ahold of - I've been trying for months! I am glad I have a spare fount, and will give this lantern a dunk test. Hope I don't need to switch, but it's nice to have the option.

Cheers,
CoolPro - Kelly In Alberta
Novice Fettler
User avatar
Tgarner01
Super Colemanaholic
Posts: 5508
Joined: Sun Nov 03, 2019 10:47 pm

Re: What Could This Be? Update: L220 Slant :)

#30

Post by Tgarner01 »

CoolPro wrote: Mon Apr 05, 2021 12:55 pm
Tgarner01 wrote: Sun Apr 04, 2021 11:00 am Nice find Kelly! OCP should have your generator and nut. Also Fred should be able to get you fixed up on a new Mica if interested. That fount appears to have had the entire bottom soldered... I'd look it over closely, luckily you have a spare 👍
Thanks! I have an R55 I will likely use for testing. Fred is a tough man to get ahold of - I've been trying for months! I am glad I have a spare fount, and will give this lantern a dunk test. Hope I don't need to switch, but it's nice to have the option.

Cheers,
Sent you a PM Kelly
Toby Garner, from SW Missouri
ICCC #1939
User avatar
mksmth
Super Colemanaholic
Posts: 1147
Joined: Mon Oct 14, 2019 7:21 pm

Re: What Could This Be? 427?

#31

Post by mksmth »

hikerduane wrote: Fri Jan 08, 2021 6:55 pm Looks like a slant, has correct collar, poor photos.
Duane
It still amazes me how today with the power of just cellphone cameras that people still take crappy pictures when selling something.
Mike
ICCC #2030
Coleman quick lite crew #51
275 syndicate #0429
Love flathead Ford's, tropical plants and Coleman lantern.
looking for a dual fuel Northstar, any quick lite especially a Slant, maroon vent for a kamplite rl-2 PM if you have one.  
Post Reply