WWII Japanese Naval Lantern

Post your tech questions here, lots of knowledge available.
160user

WWII Japanese Naval Lantern

Post by 160user »

Hi, I am a brand new member here and this is my first post. I joined because my father has a lantern that came home from WWII and I am trying to find out anything I can about it. It has the original wooden case, instructions in Japanese and all of the parts and tools that came with it. Let me see if I can figure out how to post pictures on here.
If it works and anyone can offer any information on this it would be greatly appreciated.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Leviticus_Tomethreus
Super Colemanaholic

Re: WWII Japanese Naval Lantern

Post by Leviticus_Tomethreus »

Sorry man. The people here know about coleman stuff. If you want to learn info about that, go to https://classicpressurelamps.com/
It’s a very cool lantern for sure. I know a little about that style. They run on kerosene/paraffin. There’s a little cup in there that you put denatured alcohol in to preheat. And that’s about it. Sorry. Oh! You can clean it off with simple green or soapy water. If you want to polish it (I wouldn’t. Has the prefect patina look to me.) you can use 0000 steel wool and mothers mag and aluminum polish. Or autosol. Basically the same thing. Then buff with yer microfiber towel.
My friends don’t call me “Lantern/lampie Levi” for nothin’,if they did call me that.
Looking for bday lanterns 8/38, 8/41,
10/25, and 8/07
The biggest lie I tell myself is ”I don’t need to write that down, I’ll remember it.”
Now officially ICCC member #1995. Most likely the youngest member with a registered name.

You guessed it, Levi Tomey 
Tgarner01
Super Colemanaholic

Post by Tgarner01 »

Welcome to the forum, from SW Missouri. I know nothing about your lantern, but certainly glad you are sharing it here. I hope to learn with you.
Toby Garner, from SW Missouri
ICCC #1939
Whitegas Extraordinaire
Super Colemanaholic

Post by Whitegas Extraordinaire »

160user wrote: Sat Jan 09, 2021 7:00 pm Hi, I am a brand new member here and this is my first post. I joined because my father has a lantern that came home from WWII and I am trying to find out anything I can about it. It has the original wooden case, instructions in Japanese and all of the parts and tools that came with it. Let me see if I can figure out how to post pictures on here.
If it works and anyone can offer any information on this it would be greatly appreciated.
Welcome to the forum, I’ll be shocked if no one here knows something about that beauty!

Thank you!
Kevin

I may frighten easily!
My current shade is Coleman!!
To me a lamp without a shade is creepy!

ICCC # 1865

zoomkat
Super Colemanaholic

Post by zoomkat »

Most likely a close clone to the petromax kerosene lanterns that have been around since WWI and similar clones available today. Be careful you don't break or damage anything. Once you get some background on those type lanterns, it will most likely fire up and run.
Coast_to_Coast

Post by Coast_to_Coast »

I don’t know anything about it, but it sure is cool. Can’t t wait to see what others might say. Glad you shared it.
-Bird- Wisconsin
“I don’t want another lantern, I just want the last one again”
ICCC#1776     The Coleman Blue‘s 243’s #143
SteveRetherford
Super Colemanaholic

Post by SteveRetherford »

wow , that is cool !!! thanks for sharing it here . need to find someone who can read Japanese . sure would like like to know the history of it .
[DrSteve2]    Steve , Keeper of the Light !!!
outlawmws
Super Colemanaholic

Post by outlawmws »

Awesome Lantern find!
[Logo%20Outlaw-half] 
Coleman Blue's 243's #341 - 275 Appreciation Syndicate member 0242
FAS #001 Confusing Future Generations of Collectors, One Lantern at a Time!

“A Human Being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, give orders, take orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook  a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly.  Specialization is for insects.”            - Lazarus Long

Outback

Post by Outback »

Very interesting lantern with a lot of history and in excellent original condition. I am sure many would like to know where your Father acquired it and a background story.

A real find, good luck with getting it going.
Guff
Super Colemanaholic

Post by Guff »

It looks very much like the Japanese made Hakukosha model 3 lantern shown on the CPL site in the lamp reference gallery.
Quite an attractive looking lantern, and an excellent find. Thanks for showing it here.

Keith.
Gasman64
Super Colemanaholic
Title: Gaseous Maximus

Post by Gasman64 »

:cf_welcomejump: from Pennsylvania! That sure is a great item, and I thank you for showing it here! I've never seen one like that, but it's great that it has the case and other bits with it...how very nice that your Dad brought it back with him.

I lived in Japan 2½ years, and find that especially interesting. However, I don't read Japanese. As others have said, basic lighting instructions for kerosene lanterns apply. Each winter in Japan, the smell of kerosene was a familiar odor as I walked around town, from all the heaters they used. Been home from Japan nearly 34 years, and still miss it.
Steve
ICCC #1012
South Eastern Pennsylvania
TSPORT

Post by TSPORT »

Very cool. Love that drawer! I can see a few extra pump leathers in it. Wonder what the other goodies are in the those compartments.
Steve
Partial to single mantles & backpacking stoves (liquid fuel, of course!)
74HARLEY
Super Colemanaholic

Post by 74HARLEY »

Thank you for sharing that here! I have a small collection of Japanese military rifles. I would love to find a lantern like that.
Joe
looking for 200a 11-56,9-77,2-65 Coleman 275 appreciation syndicate member #0004 ICCC #1262
Coleman Quick Lite Crew #19
Frank appreciation syndicate member #9
gwillmot
Colmanaholic

Post by gwillmot »

Just a head's up to some. Just because this is the "Coleman" Collector's Forum" does NOT mean that this is the sole interest and expertise of many who are members ......
IMG_0447.JPG
IMG_0448.JPG
IMG_0450.JPG
IMG_0453.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Still Crazy After All These Years

He that believeth and is baptized shall be saved; but he that believeth not shall be damned.
Mark 16:16

zoomkat
Super Colemanaholic

Post by zoomkat »

In the serious collecting world, do not do anything to it, such as shining it up and such. Keep it as found until you find out its value, especially inn the Japanese market. If the lantern and its accessories are common, then you can do what you want. If it is rare, then its highest value will probably as found, untouched.
160user

Post by 160user »

Thank you everyone. My parents are getting up there in age and are moving this spring so they have been cleaning all the corners. I find this thing very unique but I just don't see myself as a lantern collector. I have enough bad habits as it is. Thanks everyone and I will keep trying to kind out more about this thing and try to get it into the hands of someone that will appreciate it.
pyro_P

Post by pyro_P »

Link from classicpressurelamps forum.

https://classicpressurelamps.com/thread ... apan.1646/
Deanofid

Post by Deanofid »

Welcome to the forum. I hope you can stay around a while.
That lantern bears some resemblance to Optimus or Petromax type lanterns, but not an exact match. Naturally, the Japanese would have put their own spin on what they copied from other makers, and this one is quite a beauty.
I suggest you search long and hard for info before selling it, and do not modify it in any way, (meaning, don't polish it or anything like that). Very nice piece, indeed!
Dean -Midnight Kerosene Ritualist--Deans Machine:  Deansmachine.com  
ICCC #1220.   275 commiseration #0018.
"In Him was life, and His life was the Light of men."  John 1:4
74HARLEY
Super Colemanaholic

Post by 74HARLEY »

If you do decide to sell, send me a message please.
Joe
looking for 200a 11-56,9-77,2-65 Coleman 275 appreciation syndicate member #0004 ICCC #1262
Coleman Quick Lite Crew #19
Frank appreciation syndicate member #9
Dmacp
Super Colemanaholic

Post by Dmacp »

gwillmot-
you seem partial to the B-17. (The Memphis belle in particular) Looks like you've almost got the complete cockpit.
I don't see an 8 day navigation clock though :-)
This one came out of a depot at Grand Central Air Terminal in Glendale, California.
B-17 8 day clock navigation.jpg
Dan
ICCC member #604
austin65uri
Serious Colemanaholic

Post by austin65uri »

A wonderful piece. Do nothing to it or with it until you learn more about it! Aloha and welcome to the forum.
Bill.
ICCC#1601
"Small earth, big universe!"
Pancholoco1911
Super Colemanaholic

Post by Pancholoco1911 »

Welcome to the forum.
@Macburner is the guy to ask for these odds
~Pancho~

ICCC MEMBER #: 1993
Deanofid

Post by Deanofid »

Yes, what Pancholoco said. Neil McRae / MacBurner.
Dean -Midnight Kerosene Ritualist--Deans Machine:  Deansmachine.com  
ICCC #1220.   275 commiseration #0018.
"In Him was life, and His life was the Light of men."  John 1:4
Gasman64
Super Colemanaholic
Title: Gaseous Maximus

Post by Gasman64 »

Hello again, 160user, here is the link to Neil McRae:
https://colemancollectorsforum.com/memb ... ile&u=2979
Steve
ICCC #1012
South Eastern Pennsylvania
mnhogrider
Super Colemanaholic

Post by mnhogrider »

A beautiful and rare lantern! Would love to see a picture or two of the inside of the burner area just by taking the vent off. Then we can tell by its design weather it gas or kerosene fueled. Sure looks like a petromax design.
The notch in the fuel knob and the navy badge soldered onto the fount is really interesting.
Steve
ICCC Member #1396 
BernzOmatic Appreciation Club #017
Mack, Cat and Cadillac.
gwillmot
Colmanaholic

Post by gwillmot »

Dmacp wrote: Sun Jan 10, 2021 5:36 am gwillmot-
you seem partial to the B-17. (The Memphis belle in particular) Looks like you've almost got the complete cockpit.
I don't see an 8 day navigation clock though :-)
This one came out of a depot at Grand Central Air Terminal in Glendale, California.
B-17 8 day clock navigation.jpg
Yes sir .... have several autographs from the pilot Robert Morgan and even collected an actual piece from the Memphis Belle when it was first attempted to be restored in Memphis TN. I tried to collect at least one of each of the instruments found on the B-17 from the main and side panel. B-17 models differed slightly and many instruments were shared among other bombers and fighters. Don't have the 8 day navigation clock as it was positioned with the navigator and not in the pilot/co-pilot area. Thanks for the photo as I'd never seen one before.
b17instruments_typical panel.jpg
b17-pilot.jpg
Still Crazy After All These Years

He that believeth and is baptized shall be saved; but he that believeth not shall be damned.
Mark 16:16

atomicbee

Post by atomicbee »

Welcome to the CCF and Happy New Year. I must say this is an interesting 1st post! I never really thought about foreign lanterns (except Canada) before but the item you have here is a piece of history and should be displayed in a museum ( CAF wing in CA?). I "am very curious on its operation to see if its similar to our beloved Coleman lanterns. Myself being active in the warbird community and loving everybody's awesome B-17/warbird collection, let me share a piece of flying history from CAFs own restored A6M Zero. First picture was the drilling out and prepping of the original Zero cockpit data plate so our Japanese member/pilot could rivet the plate in the cockpit. He is to my knowledge the only Japanese pilot to fly a Zero in the US territory since WW2.
Bally Bill Coleman
Moon is the light from a lantern in heaven
ICCC Member#1896
MYN927
Serious Colemanaholic

Post by MYN927 »

Welcome 160user.
It looks to me like a Hakukosha model no. 3 lantern. Japanese obviously.
I believe its a rare lantern. Its beautiful. The basic design featuring a mix of the Petromax 821, Optimus 200, a bit of Primus and Japanese customization overall.
atomicbee

Post by atomicbee »

yes its beautiful and now with this information making this mystery more interesting....glad to be back to CCF
Bally Bill Coleman
Moon is the light from a lantern in heaven
ICCC Member#1896
160user

Post by 160user »

Thank you everyone. I hope to find a collector that will appreciate this and display it, not leave it in a closet for another 50 years.
burnt bacon

Post by burnt bacon »

wow!
florida_grown
Colmanaholic

Post by florida_grown »

Very cool lantern for sure!!! Hope you decide to share some more pics of it and history here with us.
I'd love to have that lantern but 74Harley already called dibs, and I know I couldn't afford it either way.
Last edited by florida_grown on Tue Jan 12, 2021 10:54 pm, edited 2 times in total.
florida_grown
Colmanaholic

Post by florida_grown »

Hope you'll share some more pics with use
BSAGuy
Super Colemanaholic

Post by BSAGuy »

Nice score and welcome.
- Courtenay
Be Prepared
TSPORT

Post by TSPORT »

MYN927 wrote: Sun Jan 10, 2021 2:45 pm Welcome 160user.
It looks to me like a Hakukosha model no. 3 lantern. Japanese obviously.
I believe its a rare lantern. Its beautiful. The basic design featuring a mix of the Petromax 821, Optimus 200, a bit of Primus and Japanese customization overall.
Here’s a link to one at Classic Pressure Lamps site with a bit more info.
Neat piece!
https://classicpressurelamps.com/thread ... apan.1646/
Steve
Partial to single mantles & backpacking stoves (liquid fuel, of course!)
SteveRetherford
Super Colemanaholic

Post by SteveRetherford »

prolly more a museum piece than collector piece , IMHO !!!
[DrSteve2]    Steve , Keeper of the Light !!!