220 generator questions

Post your tech questions here, lots of knowledge available.
BjornBee

220 generator questions

Post by BjornBee »

I have a 220F dated 10/63 that I was cleaning up.
It holds pressure. And it initially lights, pulsating a bit. Then dies out after 3-4 seconds.
I've taken everything apart (except generator) and cleaned it, drained old fuel, etc. Problem still exists.
Yes, I have seen the videos of soaking and heating the generator, removing the insides.
The generator on this lantern seems encrusted in a hard varnish. Looking in the generator, I see a hardened mass.

Now I am not against going through the cleaning, but I also see some guy has sold literally hundreds of these same generators on Ebay.
And at 12 dollars a pop, is it worth the work and effort? Seems like a crap load of people just buy new generators.

I see three options.....
1) Wait till I find another beater and use the generator off it.
2) Pay 12 dollars and buy a new one.
3) Save the old generator by cooking it, etc.

Honestly...what do you do?
Are the replace generators just as good?
Is there any advantage beyond the self-satisfaction of saving old generators?
Or is this something you do for older models where perhaps finding a new generator is much harder to find?

Thank you
zoomkat
Super Colemanaholic

Re: 220 generator questions

Post by zoomkat »

"Honestly...what do you do?"

Well, déjà vu. The first thing you should do is toughly trouble the issue before drawing conclusions. Did you make sure the lantern tank was full when you were trying to light it?
bngreenchev

Post by bngreenchev »

I would buy a new generator and try cleaning the old one for a backup, they can be found from the forum sponsor at Old Coleman Parts.
https://www.oldcolemanparts.com/product ... at=&page=1
25_502s
Super Colemanaholic

Post by 25_502s »

Academy sells them for $8 or $9 and maybe cabelas too. I would throw on a new one and practice cleaning the old and save for later use.
Jason
not looking for any more Bday gpas. Honestly, if you have a 10-72 don’t let me know about it.
Coleman 275 Appreciation Syndicate #0214
Coleman Slant Saver #56
Coleman Quick Lite Crew #31
Ridge_Runner
Super Colemanaholic

Post by Ridge_Runner »

I replaced a few with new ones in the beginning before I knew they could (usually) be rebuilt. Now I rebuild them or just clean them and reassemble depending how gunked up they are.

I do keep some new ones on hand and spare gas tips “just in case”, but I always try to salvage the old stuff first.
— L.J.

Looking for 10/2015 & 1/2020 B-Day Lanterns
I love the smell of naphtha in the morning!
"Ain’t no need to watch where I’m goin’; just need to know where I’ve been" -Tow Mater
BjornBee

Post by BjornBee »

zoomkat wrote: Sat Jan 09, 2021 11:51 pm "Honestly...what do you do?"

Well, déjà vu. The first thing you should do is toughly trouble the issue before drawing conclusions. Did you make sure the lantern tank was full when you were trying to light it?
I have no clue what you are saying.
TwoCanoes
Colmanaholic

Post by TwoCanoes »

Ridge_Runner wrote: Sun Jan 10, 2021 12:02 am I replaced a few with new ones in the beginning before I knew they could (usually) be rebuilt. Now I rebuild them or just clean them and reassemble depending how gunked up they are.

I do keep some new ones on hand and spare gas tips “just in case”, but I always try to salvage the old stuff first.
This is exactly my approach, too. It's not very often anymore that I have to put in a new generator. I usually put in new packing though.
Chucker

Post by Chucker »

In your description you didn't say if you spun the pricker assy lever. Spinning it clears the orifice at the tip allowing air/fuel to pass.

Next I would consider a new generator. You need to have some on hand anyway, IMO, for regular maintenance.

For reference, the generator's should last 700-800 hours of run time assuming you are using Coleman or any quality camp fuel with Naphtha.
Chuck
"...Good people pass away; the godly often die before their time. But no one seems to care or wonder why. No one seems to understand that God is protecting them from the evil days to come." Matthew 57:1

Eye-SEE-C-C Member #1333 -- MilSpecOps #003
"Michigan - from the Ojibwa word “meicigama,” meaning “great water.”
zoomkat
Super Colemanaholic

Post by zoomkat »

"I have no clue what you are saying."

Understandable. Below is a very recent discussion involving issues that sound somewhat similar to yours. It might be worth a read.

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=20406
BjornBee

Post by BjornBee »

Chucker wrote: Sun Jan 10, 2021 1:16 am In your description you didn't say if you spun the pricker assy lever. Spinning it clears the orifice at the tip allowing air/fuel to pass.

Next I would consider a new generator. You need to have some on hand anyway, IMO, for regular maintenance.

For reference, the generator's should last 700-800 hours of run time assuming you are using Coleman or any quality camp fuel with Naphtha.
I did spin the needle and it worked as designed.
Thank you for taking the time to respond.
BjornBee

Post by BjornBee »

zoomkat wrote: Sun Jan 10, 2021 1:39 am "I have no clue what you are saying."

Understandable. Below is a very recent discussion involving issues that sound somewhat similar to yours. It might be worth a read.

Understandable? Is this some sort of freakin game?
"....toughy trouble the issue before drawing conclusions."
Sorry if I am not up on your "Coleman Club" special language.
I have no clue what "toughy trouble the issue" means.
Is this on the listing for "Coleman terms"? I must of missed that one. Sorry.
I thought I asked some easy questions. Geesh.....
BjornBee

Post by BjornBee »

Ridge_Runner wrote: Sun Jan 10, 2021 12:02 am I replaced a few with new ones in the beginning before I knew they could (usually) be rebuilt. Now I rebuild them or just clean them and reassemble depending how gunked up they are.

I'm thinking of getting some, and then stockpiling the used ones. Cleaning up perhaps 4-5 at a time if I get that many.
Just seems one at a time is a waste of time.
Thank you.
MYN927
Serious Colemanaholic

Post by MYN927 »

Regardless of what lantern, I'd buy spare generators if I could.
Problem is, I can't. (not locally available and I have no 'online-shopping / mail ordering' capabilities).
My first option has always been(still is) cleaning the hell out of the old generators and gas tips. That'll of course include the needle assembly, valve and whatever heat transfer or centering coils inside the generators.
My second option is making a new generator or gas tip from brass stock in a machine shop, which I've done in the past.(pretty challenging but I've got no choice).
zoomkat
Super Colemanaholic

Post by zoomkat »

""....toughy trouble the issue before drawing conclusions."
Sorry if I am not up on your "Coleman Club" special language."

Sorry if my bad typing and spelling is flipping you out. Just trying to help.
Ridge_Runner
Super Colemanaholic

Post by Ridge_Runner »

BjornBee wrote: Sun Jan 10, 2021 2:08 am

I'm thinking of getting some, and then stockpiling the used ones. Cleaning up perhaps 4-5 at a time if I get that many.
Just seems one at a time is a waste of time.
Thank you.
Yep, that works. Eventually you’ll get into a groove and develop a process that works for you. Cleaning generators, glass, brass, rust, porcelain, nickel, paint, nasty old pump-gas-filled founts; everyone’s is a little bit different. It’s likely your process will be tweaked from time to time as you find more efficient methods of getting to your end goal, too.

The end goal of course is wearing a big smile while your GPA is happily purring away 🙂
— L.J.

Looking for 10/2015 & 1/2020 B-Day Lanterns
I love the smell of naphtha in the morning!
"Ain’t no need to watch where I’m goin’; just need to know where I’ve been" -Tow Mater
JLush

Post by JLush »

Bjorn, First piece of advice would be to mellow the eff out a bit. Don't insult the people that are are trying to help you. I interpreted zoomkat's message as "roughly troubleshoot" just by reading between the lines. Roughly meaning to eliminate one component at a time and see if that affects anything. Personally, I'd just pop for a generator (preferably from OCP who hosts this) and go from there. You don't mention your starting technique. I have a 220 that does something similar if you don't get the fuel valve open completely real soon after it gets fired up.

Keep after it - you'll get it! :)

John
BjornBee wrote: Sun Jan 10, 2021 2:05 am
zoomkat wrote: Sun Jan 10, 2021 1:39 am "I have no clue what you are saying."

Understandable? Is this some sort of freakin game?
"....toughy trouble the issue before drawing conclusions."
Sorry if I am not up on your "Coleman Club" special language.
I have no clue what "toughy trouble the issue" means.
Is this on the listing for "Coleman terms"? I must of missed that one. Sorry.
I thought I asked some easy questions. Geesh.....
"Catch on fire with enthusiasm and people will come for miles to watch you burn"

...On the lookout for a 3/61...
BjornBee

Post by BjornBee »

zoomkat wrote: Sun Jan 10, 2021 2:36 am ""....toughy trouble the issue before drawing conclusions."
Sorry if I am not up on your "Coleman Club" special language."

Sorry if my bad typing and spelling is flipping you out. Just trying to help.
Not flipping out.
But I very clearly stated after your first post, I did not understand you.
I didn't get a "Sorry...my bad...typos" or anything else.
Your reply was "Understandable".
I was trying to understand how any of that " Deja Vu....toughy trouble the issue" related to the OP asking for opinions of the three options I laid out.
1. Wait to find a new gen off old beater. 2) buy New 3) clean and save old gen
Now I find out it was typos and missing words.
After your "Understandable" reply...it left my mind open for other options.

Maybe this forum is not for me. I might be a better "lurker", asking questions PM behind the scenes.
Thanks guys.