Questions On Refurbishing Burner Stacks

Post your tech questions here, lots of knowledge available.
CoolPro

Questions On Refurbishing Burner Stacks

Post by CoolPro »

Bit of a change of pace - I picked up a '96 3-Burner 5428A profane stove for 25 bucks that was a complete mess - scorched black cook-top with some greasy food clinging to it, greasy case, rusty burners & tubes - a dog's breakfast. Stripped the suitcase down and have been cleaning up all the parts (see exploded diagram and photo of the stacks). For the burner stacks and tubes I was able to clean the surface rust off with some rather tedious brushing, but wondered if:

a) I should treat the burner stacks and tubes with evapo-rust to get rid of the rest of the rust?
b) after removing all the rust, coat them with NLS products fluid film to protect them - would this be a waste of time on the burner stacks given they will be fired?

Cheers!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
CoolPro - Kelly In Alberta
Novice Fettler
bngreenchev

Re: Questions On Refurbishing Burner Stacks

Post by bngreenchev »

I would just get the surface rust off and reassemble, the issue I see from using fluid film is that it might burn off and who knows what breathing that brings with it, and if it works it might affect how well the flame will perform if it's affecting the flow of gas and air coming from the burners. Just my thoughts they look exactly like most of my burners on any of the GPA stoves I own.
Phredd
Serious Colemanaholic

Post by Phredd »

I soak them in EvapoRust then use steel wool to get rid of the black stuff. And I agree with above. No need to treat with anything - it will get burned off.

Phredd
ICCC#1799
Coleman Quick Lite Crew #40
Chucker

Post by Chucker »

+2.
Chuck
"...Good people pass away; the godly often die before their time. But no one seems to care or wonder why. No one seems to understand that God is protecting them from the evil days to come." Matthew 57:1

Eye-SEE-C-C Member #1333 -- MilSpecOps #003
"Michigan - from the Ojibwa word “meicigama,” meaning “great water.”
TwoCanoes
Colmanaholic

Post by TwoCanoes »

I use EvapoRust then a brass wire brush. I see no point in coating with anything.
CoolPro

Post by CoolPro »

Thanks, everyone! That's the way I was leaning. It would seem rust sets in when burners are not burning. The solution long term is fire!
Cheers,
Novice Fettler
Gunhippie
Super Colemanaholic

Post by Gunhippie »

Wait--the diagram shows wavy, flat, wavy, flat, repeat. On my GPA stoves (a few), it's always been flat, wavy, repeat. What's going on?
It's priceless until someone puts a price on it.
Walk a mile in a man's shoes before you criticize him--then you're a mile away, and he has no shoes.
Texan's last words: "Y'all--hold my beer--I wanta' try sumptin'."
Timm--Middle of nowhere, near the end of the road, Oregon.
CoolPro

Post by CoolPro »

Gunhippie wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 4:33 am Wait--the diagram shows wavy, flat, wavy, flat, repeat. On my GPA stoves (a few), it's always been flat, wavy, repeat. What's going on?
The top and bottom burner cups have flat surfaces, if that makes sense.
Cheers,
Novice Fettler
Rubing
Super Colemanaholic

Post by Rubing »

Yep flat on top and bottom with waveys in between the flats. I just soak them in citric acid then hit them with steel wool.
ICCC # 1402