Which styles of torch on hand...

Post your tech questions here, lots of knowledge available.
burnt bacon

Which styles of torch on hand...

Post by burnt bacon »

I picked up the standard propane torch, with the large canister, works good. But, what do you guys like for a smaller, more concentrated flame, for heating up small fittings or first burn for a mantle...?

I know there are the small culinary-style ones, which Isuspect is be the way to go, still would like to know the best choice/brand...Thanks!
Gunhippie
Super Colemanaholic

Re: Which styles of torch on hand...

Post by Gunhippie »

I like my little Bernzomatic butane torch: https://www.homelectrical.com/3-1-trigg ... 4UQAvD_BwE

Not cheap, but good quality. I wish I could say as much for their BBQ lighters, but they're junk.
It's priceless until someone puts a price on it.
Walk a mile in a man's shoes before you criticize him--then you're a mile away, and he has no shoes.
Texan's last words: "Y'all--hold my beer--I wanta' try sumptin'."
Timm--Middle of nowhere, near the end of the road, Oregon.
JimL
Super Colemanaholic

Post by JimL »

Ignoring brands, the first you mention is propane, the second is butane. Propane is hotter, but more importantly, is a much higher pressure. Using a propane torch on a mantle is much more likely to destroy it. Butane is great for more concentrated work, such as soldering, or heating smaller areas. I find uses for both, but primarily use the butane torch. For burning in a mantle, you're really better off with a match or lighter without a torch flame.
-Jim

Flammable liquids, open flame, what could go wrong?

You shouldn't believe anything until it's been officially denied - Claud Cockburn
zoomkat
Super Colemanaholic

Post by zoomkat »

The below size torch is handy for working on small parts. Big torches can actually damage the small things. Pencil torches, and even the "jet" cigarette lighters, might be used on the really small things.

https://www.harborfreight.com/butane-mi ... 63170.html
Deanofid

Post by Deanofid »

For little jobs, I use the Bernzomatic one exactly like the one Timm Gunhippie shows in his link. The only difference in his and mine are the colored accent pieces on mine are red rather than blue, but same exact torch. I've had this one for over 10 years, and the quality is very good. It's never failed me for the small soldering jobs I do, and it is also quite good for burning in mantles. Worth the $35 price, for sure. Refills with common butane lighter fuel.
Dean -Midnight Kerosene Ritualist--Deans Machine:  Deansmachine.com  
ICCC #1220.   275 commiseration #0018.
"In Him was life, and His life was the Light of men."  John 1:4
burnt bacon

Post by burnt bacon »

Thanks for the info and the links...! One thing I discovered after looking at the threads here is that there are pros and cons to just about anything...nothing like an informed decision.
burnt bacon

Post by burnt bacon »

JimL wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 5:36 pm Propane is hotter, but more importantly, is a much higher pressure. Using a propane torch on a mantle is much more likely to destroy it.
Thanks, I figured that would be the case.
Gunhippie
Super Colemanaholic

Post by Gunhippie »

When I'm using the little Bernzo to light mantles for the initial burn-in, I hold it at least 3-4 inches away from the mantles, and use it only to ensure that the mantles are evenly lit.
It's priceless until someone puts a price on it.
Walk a mile in a man's shoes before you criticize him--then you're a mile away, and he has no shoes.
Texan's last words: "Y'all--hold my beer--I wanta' try sumptin'."
Timm--Middle of nowhere, near the end of the road, Oregon.
burnt bacon

Post by burnt bacon »

Gunhippie wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 7:53 pm When I'm using the little Bernzo to light mantles for the initial burn-in, I hold it at least 3-4 inches away from the mantles, and use it only to ensure that the mantles are evenly lit.
For sure you'd need to be careful, not sure I'm that adventurous. With the globe off, I think one of those long, butane, multi-purpose lighters they sell everywhere would be fine for mantles, too. Can't wait to try it.
Wpavlis

Post by Wpavlis »

I have one of these. Works great for lots of things. I always bring it camping with me.

https://sotooutdoors.com/product/pocket ... e_lighter/
- Bill
burnt bacon

Post by burnt bacon »

Wpavlis wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 2:16 am I have one of these. Works great for lots of things. I always bring it camping with me.

Thanks for the link. That device is very interesting, can be filled with a butane canister with adapter. I have a few of those canisters since I have camp burner that uses them. Probaby more economical compared to the others.
JimL
Super Colemanaholic

Post by JimL »

>>That device is very interesting, can be filled with a butane canister with adapter.

Are you sure you need an adapter? Based on the pic, it looks like it's being filled straight from the butane canister. If that's in fact a butane canister like those used for the tabletop stoves, then yes, they're really cheap.
-Jim

Flammable liquids, open flame, what could go wrong?

You shouldn't believe anything until it's been officially denied - Claud Cockburn
burnt bacon

Post by burnt bacon »

JimL wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 4:21 am >>That device is very interesting, can be filled with a butane canister with adapter.

Are you sure you need an adapter? Based on the pic, it looks like it's being filled straight from the butane canister. If that's in fact a butane canister like those used for the tabletop stoves, then yes, they're really cheap.
No I’m not sure, but the site had a picture of the adapter in use. I may not have that right.
25_502s
Super Colemanaholic

Post by 25_502s »

I bought this little Dremel. 7 in one butane torch. A little pricey but very handy.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Jason
not looking for any more Bday gpas. Honestly, if you have a 10-72 don’t let me know about it.
Coleman 275 Appreciation Syndicate #0214
Coleman Slant Saver #56
Coleman Quick Lite Crew #31
Wpavlis

Post by Wpavlis »

burnt bacon wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 2:45 am
Wpavlis wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 2:16 am I have one of these. Works great for lots of things. I always bring it camping with me.

Thanks for the link. That device is very interesting, can be filled with a butane canister with adapter. I have a few of those canisters since I have camp burner that uses them. Probaby more economical compared to the others.
You actually put a disposable lighter inside it. It just depresses the button on the lighter and uses the butane coming out to fuel the torch. Takes 2 seconds to put a new lighter in. If for some reason you want a regular lighter, just take it out. I got mine at REI but you can get it elsewhere.
- Bill
burnt bacon

Post by burnt bacon »

Thanks all... :cf_howdyhat: