Won't light

Post your tech questions here, lots of knowledge available.
Zipper

Won't light

Post by Zipper »

200A Lantern won't light.

Can hear the gas coming out....font holding pressure....can see the mantle getting gas to it....mantle won't catch

What am I doing wrong?
Rusty
zoomkat
Super Colemanaholic

Re: Won't light

Post by zoomkat »

Is the "gas" possibly water?
Zipper

Post by Zipper »

never thought of that..........
Rusty
macwacs
Colmanaholic

Post by macwacs »

First thing I thought of.
RMW
Zipper

Post by Zipper »

any other ideas?
Rusty
D421
Serious Colemanaholic

Post by D421 »

Zipper wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 6:23 pm 200A Lantern won't light.

Can hear the gas coming out....font holding pressure....can see the mantle getting gas to it....mantle won't catch

What am I doing wrong?
Tell us more about seeing the mantles getting gas.
Dominic
Everyone likes the dog catcher...until they catch your dog.
ICCC #1992
Zipper

Post by Zipper »

can see the mantle move when i open valve, even blows the flame of the lighter. no gas getting through? just air?
Rusty
Stovie

Post by Stovie »

How old is the fuel in the tank? Coleman always suggested dumping out old fuel, and swishing the tank out with clean, fresh fuel. It will last pretty much forever, but that only applies to Coleman fuel, or Naptha. Is it possible someone installed automotive gasoline in there? Kerosene? Alcohol? Just a thought...
D421
Serious Colemanaholic

Post by D421 »

Zipper wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 7:03 pm can see the mantle move when i open valve, even blows the flame of the lighter. no gas getting through? just air?
Ah!!! When you open the valve 1/4 turn or less you should get air. After some time 30 seconds, 45 seconds or even longer you should hear a spitting of gas. When you hear this the lantern will light.

There are things that can keep the fuel from getting to the generator but for now try this. Check to see if indeed you have coleman fuel in the fount. Of you are not sure dump it and put fresh coleman of crown in. Make sure to fill at least half full, 3/4 or full is best. Open the valve 1/4 turn and wait to hear the gas.
Dominic
ICCC #1992
zoomkat
Super Colemanaholic

Post by zoomkat »

"can see the mantle move when i open valve, even blows the flame of the lighter. no gas getting through? just air?"

If the tank is not full of fuel, then fill it up and try lighting it again. The standard fuel valve 1/4 turn open lantern start assumes a full tank of fuel.
Zipper

Post by Zipper »

i purchased lantern online...tank was empty.....i added crown white gas....i would say its a bit over half full. i will drain, make sure its free of any junk, re fill and try again....stand by....thanks
Rusty
Majicwrench
Super Colemanaholic

Post by Majicwrench »

Spin tip cleaner a bunch, wait a good 30 seconds or longer. Should go "hissssssssss(istert lost of hisses here)sssssssptspt spt" that is the time to light it. And add a reasonable amount of fuel. And spin tip cleaner some more.
Keith
Stovie

Post by Stovie »

Majicwrench wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 8:28 pmShould go "hissssssssss (insert loss of hisses here) sssssssptspt spt" that is the time to light it.

Yes! Precise technical description.
SteveRetherford
Super Colemanaholic

Post by SteveRetherford »

sounding like a clogged up fuel and air assembly , only air no gas is coming up ..... typically need to tear it down fix that .
[DrSteve2]    Steve , Keeper of the Light !!!
Leviticus_Tomethreus
Super Colemanaholic

Post by Leviticus_Tomethreus »

Ahhh yes. The hhsss sppttt spt. Then I’d recommend preheating it with a propane or butane torch.
My friends don’t call me “Lantern/lampie Levi” for nothin’,if they did call me that.
Looking for bday lanterns 8/38, 8/41,
10/25, and 8/07
The biggest lie I tell myself is ”I don’t need to write that down, I’ll remember it.”
Now officially ICCC member #1995. Most likely the youngest member with a registered name.

You guessed it, Levi Tomey 
gwillmot
Colmanaholic

Post by gwillmot »

I think Steve has the correct diagnosis on this one. Preheating a generator with a clogged F/A tube won't do anything ..... except to have hot air come out
Still Crazy After All These Years

He that believeth and is baptized shall be saved; but he that believeth not shall be damned.
Mark 16:16

SteveRetherford
Super Colemanaholic

see if when you open the valve fully if it gets fuel ?
zoomkat
Super Colemanaholic

Post by zoomkat »

I recommend that "thorough trouble shooting" of the issue should be performed prior to suggesting disassembly of the lantern.
Tgarner01
Super Colemanaholic

Post by Tgarner01 »

Outlaw went to a lot of work for questions such as this..

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=18568
Toby Garner, from SW Missouri
ICCC #1939
Zipper

Post by Zipper »

new fuel and air stem and generator still no spitting after the hissing
Rusty
zoomkat
Super Colemanaholic

Post by zoomkat »

"new fuel and air stem and generator still no spitting after the hissing"

As a fuel control rod function test, fully open the fuel control valve and see if you eventually get some raw fuel out of the generator, or if only air continues to come out of the generator.
D421
Serious Colemanaholic

Post by D421 »

Tgarner01 wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 10:46 pm Outlaw went to a lot of work for questions such as this..

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=18568
As Toby said. Pull up the diagnostic post. Go through it line by line. Pretty much everything you need to know is there.
Dominic
ICCC #1992
hikerduane
Super Colemanaholic

Post by hikerduane »

Time to get your hands dirty, this model is real easy to work on. Sometimes after cleaning the F/A tube may still take time for fuel to get to the genny. A full fount helps.
Duane
Duane-All seasons, year round backpacker and camper.  So many stoves and lanterns, who's counting.
TSPORT

Post by TSPORT »

I read through all of Zipper’s old posts, don’t see a response anywhere confirming fuel coming out when open valve all the way. Easy enough to pull generator off and crack valve open for a bit to see if fuel spurts out from valve (careful to have eye protection and be ready to shut quick, won’t take long for fuel to come out of a pressurized fount if all clear in the f/a tube. If you’re seeing fuel doing this, you likely have blockage in the generator or plumbing north of there.
Steve
Partial to single mantles & backpacking stoves (liquid fuel, of course!)
Tgarner01
Super Colemanaholic

Post by Tgarner01 »

Zipper if you've got a small touch try heating the generator for 5-10 seconds then open your valve all the way open while holding the flame to the mantle.
Toby Garner, from SW Missouri
ICCC #1939
JLo

Post by JLo »

I had that issue with a 200 - turned out the F/A tube was leaking where it joins the larger section that threads into the valve. That resulted in airflow but no fuel. Resoldered that joint and it runs like a champ.
Billdog37
Colmanaholic

Post by Billdog37 »

Make sure the burner tube is clear.
Bill
ICCC# 1225
Zipper

Post by Zipper »

Got it! .let it sit for a bit...shook it......heated the gen for a bit.......opened valve all the way.......got it to spit......got it to light.
thanks for everyone's help....sorry, im a rookie....all i've had to draw on is watching my dad light his coleman lanterns and stoves as a kid.....always scared the crap out of me....now, im interested......i've re built two now!........thanks for your help and patience!!
Rusty
D421
Serious Colemanaholic

Post by D421 »

Good job Rusty. Don't apologize. Now try it with 1/4 Turn to confirm it working correctly. How about a picture?
Dominic
ICCC #1992
SteveRetherford
Super Colemanaholic

its not fixed , you just figured out a way to make it light despite its problems , with a pre heat n fully opened valve . thats not how its supposed to work . its time for a tear down im afraid . your fuel and air assembly inside the fount needs cleaned or replaced .
zoomkat
Super Colemanaholic

Post by zoomkat »

" its time for a tear down im afraid ."

Well, I would not recommend that until he now tries a normal 1/4 turn open start up attempt and sees how that goes. Just saying.
Chucker

Post by Chucker »

Zipper wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 11:01 pm new fuel and air stem and generator still no spitting after the hissing

This sounds like you already tore it down to replace the f/a. Yes?

If so, did you also lightly ream out the fuel orifice at the bottom (with a tooth pick for instance)? That's usually the place where the rod sticks.
Chuck
"...Good people pass away; the godly often die before their time. But no one seems to care or wonder why. No one seems to understand that God is protecting them from the evil days to come." Matthew 57:1

Eye-SEE-C-C Member #1333 -- MilSpecOps #003
"Michigan - from the Ojibwa word “meicigama,” meaning “great water.”
Sandman

Post by Sandman »

Try inverting lantern while its struggling to light......if it stays lit & acts normal its most likely your F/A metering rod & orfice......by inverting you are reversing the way its getting the fuel.....its getting fuel from the top hole......because i think i read where you were shaking lantern and it cleared up......same results as inverting it.....so im thinking full tear down & going thru & cleaning the fuel pick up will resolve your problem

ICCC  #1869
Coleman Quick-lite crew #25
Coleman Blues 243 #158
Coleman 275 appreciation #0232

bdickson

Post by bdickson »

Phewwwwwwwwww, pssttttttt a little flame and it should light. Warm the genny first helps. If no fuel it is possible the rod in fuel tube even though you are releasing the fuel knob but the rod is sticking in the fuel tube. Generally if all else fails then you have to tear down which should be the last resort.
All new to you lanterns you should pump up and turn fuel knob, if fuel comes out genny then it possibly is good to go. Just clean up and run.
Sorry but it's "Zed" not "Zee" for Z and a lot of "our" words end in "our" not "or" it's a Canadian thing. Eh!
D421
Serious Colemanaholic

Post by D421 »

The rod is not retracted from the hole on the fuel air tube at the lighting possition.
Dominic
ICCC #1992