Ceramic Burner Conversion?

Post your tech questions here, lots of knowledge available.
Jeremy_71

Ceramic Burner Conversion?

Post by Jeremy_71 »

Has anyone ventured down the road of converting a petromax ceramic burner head assembly over to a coleman lantern? I have been looking at some parts and thinking about picking up a few pieces to try and take a 220 series and convert it to a single burner with the ceramic assembly off a petromax. Just curious if anyone has done this.
Jeremy Mitchell

"If you don't learn something everyday...You have wasted the day" 
my Grandfather

Mil Spec Syndicate #2115
JimL
Super Colemanaholic

Re: Ceramic Burner Conversion?

Post by JimL »

No, but before going that last step and using a ceramic burner, I suggest you first try converting to just a single mantle. Then you may need to do some calculation or experimentation with using the ceramic burner to get the right air/fuel mixture. Changing too many variables at once often leads to frustration.

Will you be welding on an adapter to go from the smaller diameter Coleman burner and burner tube to the Petromax burner setup?
-Jim

Flammable liquids, open flame, what could go wrong?

You shouldn't believe anything until it's been officially denied - Claud Cockburn
Leviticus_Tomethreus
Super Colemanaholic

Post by Leviticus_Tomethreus »

If you want a single burner 220, throw a milspec burner in there. Might be able to put a ceramic burner cap on there. I really don’t see the point though.
My friends don’t call me “Lantern/lampie Levi” for nothin’,if they did call me that.
Looking for bday lanterns 8/38, 8/41,
10/25, and 8/07
The biggest lie I tell myself is ”I don’t need to write that down, I’ll remember it.”
Now officially ICCC member #1995. Most likely the youngest member with a registered name.

You guessed it, Levi Tomey 
JimL
Super Colemanaholic

Post by JimL »

Levi,

Interesting idea, but that won't work because not only is the Petromax burner nozzle a much larger diameter, it's a male thread versus a female thread. I do not think swapping burner caps would be a simple project.
-Jim

Flammable liquids, open flame, what could go wrong?

You shouldn't believe anything until it's been officially denied - Claud Cockburn
Leviticus_Tomethreus
Super Colemanaholic

Post by Leviticus_Tomethreus »

I don’t understands the point. Why need a single mantle 220 with ceramic burner cap? Jim, using them on a 220 would be just as hard, and then somehow make a 220 a single burner. That just seems like some W.C. Coleman engineering. Basically making your own model. Not even 220 at that point.
My friends don’t call me “Lantern/lampie Levi” for nothin’,if they did call me that.
Looking for bday lanterns 8/38, 8/41,
10/25, and 8/07
The biggest lie I tell myself is ”I don’t need to write that down, I’ll remember it.”
Now officially ICCC member #1995. Most likely the youngest member with a registered name.

You guessed it, Levi Tomey 
Tgarner01
Super Colemanaholic

Post by Tgarner01 »

I've looked into making a single mantle 220 in the past, and I have confidence the air/fuel ratio can be worked out relatively easily... What I can not find a work around is no matter what you do the generator is placed where I want my mantle to be... In other words you can't center the mantle without changing something drastic... Then I just built franks to satisfy my want 😉

Toby Garner, from SW Missouri
ICCC #1939
Jeremy_71

Post by Jeremy_71 »

I have played with the single burner aspect of a 220 before. I took the mixing chamber and rotated it and plugged off one burner tube hole. Therefore leaving one burner tube and aligned it centered over the gen. Changed the gen tip and cleaner to a 200 model one and it ran well. I lost that frank in a house fire in 2010 along with all of my others. I thought about it and was tossing around the idea of using the ceramic burner and chamber that it threads into from a petromax. The burner is ceramic and the chamber is brass. So I was thinking of cutting the burner tube on a 220 and adapting it over to the petromax pieces. Hopefully this clarifies my thought process.
Jeremy Mitchell

"If you don't learn something everyday...You have wasted the day" 
my Grandfather

Mil Spec Syndicate #2115
outlawmws
Super Colemanaholic

Post by outlawmws »

200 on a 220/228 fount and 228 vent, and your done.

Wait, Toby just posted that...
[Logo%20Outlaw-half] 
Coleman Blue's 243's #341 - 275 Appreciation Syndicate member 0242
FAS #001 Confusing Future Generations of Collectors, One Lantern at a Time!

“A Human Being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, give orders, take orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook  a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly.  Specialization is for insects.”            - Lazarus Long