White gas heater storage - tank full or empty?

Post your tech questions here, lots of knowledge available.
sjsjr86s

White gas heater storage - tank full or empty?

Post by sjsjr86s »

i am now a steward of a 512 catalytic heater; poll - store it with tank full or empty? will post pix soon promise
Steve
San Diego, CA
JimL
Super Colemanaholic

Re: White gas heater storage - tank full or empty?

Post by JimL »

For an experiment, put a cup of fuel in it, put it away for two weeks, and when you go back to it in two weeks, see if you can find a single drop of fuel left in it. I learned the hard way how fast fuel evaporates from these. They are not pressure appliances and aren't really sealed.
-Jim

Flammable liquids, open flame, what could go wrong?

You shouldn't believe anything until it's been officially denied - Claud Cockburn
Gasman64
Super Colemanaholic
Title: Gaseous Maximus

Post by Gasman64 »

Jim is trying to say "no."
Steve
ICCC #1012
South Eastern Pennsylvania
sjsjr86s

Post by sjsjr86s »

Gasman64 wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 5:37 am Jim is trying to say "no."
:lol: thank you for hipping me to Jim's ways. Jim, thanks so much for your words of wisdom I will go drain it out right now! Now if only I can find a pickle jar.... ahem... fuel can somewhere....
Steve
San Diego, CA
Gasman64
Super Colemanaholic
Title: Gaseous Maximus

Post by Gasman64 »

sjsjr86s wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 5:41 am
:lol: thank you for hipping me to Jim's ways. Jim, thanks so much for your words of wisdom I will go drain it out right now! Now if only I can find a pickle jar.... ahem... fuel can somewhere....
Do you still have the original Coleman can? When I empty one, I keep one or two on hand, just in case I need to empty a lantern or stove.
Steve
ICCC #1012
South Eastern Pennsylvania
sjsjr86s

Post by sjsjr86s »

Gasman64 wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 6:19 am
sjsjr86s wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 5:41 am
Do you still have the original Coleman can? When I empty one, I keep one or two on hand, just in case I need to empty a lantern or stove.
nosir I would be learning the hard way about now.... left my empty can at Lake Henshaw this past weekend. oops.
WYSIWYG
Super Colemanaholic

Post by WYSIWYG »

So. Pour out the fuel and use it to fill all your lanterns and stoves
John        
One in every public place...

ICCC #1338    IDITOS  #2654
Coleman 275 Appreciation Syndicate. Member #0059
BernzOmatic Appreciation Club #004
Member of CCF  Chromostereopsis  Club
sjsjr86s

Post by sjsjr86s »

WYSIWYG wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 2:12 pm So. Pour out the fuel and use it to fill all your lanterns and stoves
Don't have quite the collection yet for all the fuel this thing holds but I was thinking about doing that. Trouble is I am not sure how much rust is in this guy's tank. Dude I got it from took real good care of it, says it was his pops' so I hope she's clean. it holds like half a gallon though we did run him a good bit.
Steve
San Diego, CA
sjsjr86s

Post by sjsjr86s »

So I came home with a bottle of Perrier, drank it then cleaned the bottle and followed with 99.9 alcohol rinse to get all the moisture out. Y'all were right! I only got about a pint out of there. I think the fuel evaporates faster than it burns off! i did note that there appears to be tiny pieces of what looks like fiberglass suspended in the fuel (probably wick) so needless to say it won't be going into the lantern. but NO rust yay! thanks all again for the info!
Steve
San Diego, CA
JimL
Super Colemanaholic

Post by JimL »

You could likely use that fuel in a lantern if you have a filter(felt) funnel. Either way, be sure the Perrier bottle is labeled accordingly, so no one grabs a gulp.
-Jim

Flammable liquids, open flame, what could go wrong?

You shouldn't believe anything until it's been officially denied - Claud Cockburn
sjsjr86s

Post by sjsjr86s »

Steve
San Diego, CA
sjsjr86s

Post by sjsjr86s »

JimL wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 5:47 am You could likely use that fuel in a lantern if you have a filter(felt) funnel. Either way, be sure the Perrier bottle is labeled accordingly, so no one grabs a gulp.
no filter funnel :cry: but im on the hunt. been eyeballing one on eslay that comes with a set of silkies :shock: tried filtering with a coffee filter, no love. maybe it's my eyes :lol: bottle well labeled im a stickler abt that ever since i cleaned the carpet with resolve.... ma put bleach in it n didn't label. oops.
Steve
San Diego, CA