Coleman lantern 335...help!!!

Post your tech questions here, lots of knowledge available.
Adrian

Coleman lantern 335...help!!!

Post by Adrian »

Hi, perhaps you can help me. If I leave the lantern on the table only air comes out but if i turn it upside down then fuel comes out. What could it be your diagnosis?, Thanks so much in advance. Adrian.
Adrian Carabajal
Leviticus_Tomethreus
Super Colemanaholic

Re: Coleman lantern 335...help!!!

Post by Leviticus_Tomethreus »

F/a tube is screwed up
My friends don’t call me “Lantern/lampie Levi” for nothin’,if they did call me that.
Looking for bday lanterns 8/38, 8/41,
10/25, and 8/07
The biggest lie I tell myself is ”I don’t need to write that down, I’ll remember it.”
Now officially ICCC member #1995. Most likely the youngest member with a registered name.

You guessed it, Levi Tomey 
Mister_Wilson
Super Colemanaholic

Post by Mister_Wilson »

By screwed up he means that the small hole at the bottom end of the f/a tube probably has some crud in it that's blocking the flow of gas while the rod is sticking through it. Try preheating your generator then opening the valve all the way. If it lights and stays lit, you'll need to pull the valve and clean the f/a, in particular that little hole, carefully, don't enlarge it, just clear it.
John
H.C. Lanterns dealer
Coleman 275 Appreciation Syndicate #2001 A Turd's Odyssey
Canadian Blues #028
Coleman Slant Saver #31
Looking for 6-56 and 6-58 Birthday lanterns.
There's been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about.
Adrian

Post by Adrian »

Thnak you for the explanation.
Adrian Carabajal
alciuffetelli

Post by alciuffetelli »

Mister_Wilson wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 11:43 pm By screwed up he means that the small hole at the bottom end of the f/a tube probably has some crud in it that's blocking the flow of gas while the rod is sticking through it. Try preheating your generator then opening the valve all the way. If it lights and stays lit, you'll need to pull the valve and clean the f/a, in particular that little hole, carefully, don't enlarge it, just clear it.
I posted earlier today about having problems with a f/a tube in a 335. I've pulled the valve from the fount, but how do you remove the f/a tube from the base of the valve assembly? Usually I see something with "flats" that I could put a wrench on, but this just has a wider, round part at the top. Can't tell if it unscrews or whether it's soldered. Any ideas?
Al Ciuffetelli
ICCC#1977
zoomkat
Super Colemanaholic

Post by zoomkat »

"Hi, perhaps you can help me. If I leave the lantern on the table only air comes out but if i turn it upside down then fuel comes out. What could it be your diagnosis?, Thanks so much in advance. Adrian."

What position is the fuel control valve in when this happens? Looking at pictures the lantern appears to be a 1/4 turn open to start lantern.
Northman49
Serious Colemanaholic

Post by Northman49 »

The F/A tube is removeable...I have done it many times, it is threaded into the valve body. But you are correct that there are no flats on the tube end.
She was only a moonshiner's daughter, but I loved her still.

I keep my tools sharp...but my mind sharper!
  Ed
                 ICCC no.1880
                 CANADIAN BLUES Member #023

Mil-spec ops #1982
Phredd
Serious Colemanaholic

Post by Phredd »

The parts diagram for a 335 shows an octagonal shape at the top of the fuel/air tube (see figure below). Is yours not like this?
335_Page_1.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Phredd
ICCC#1799
Coleman Quick Lite Crew #40
Gasman64
Super Colemanaholic
Title: Gaseous Maximus

Post by Gasman64 »

Where's Donnie? (drkillemquick.) He loves these; his favorite model! :lol: :D ;)
Steve
ICCC #1012
South Eastern Pennsylvania
Majicwrench
Super Colemanaholic

Post by Majicwrench »

When you open these valves 1/4 turn, you need to wait longer than you think to get fuel up, so they will hissssssss for while before you can light em. Give em a good 30 seconds.

Of the dozens of lantern I have got going, only one (an Ash Flash) needed the f/a tube hole cleaned.
Keith
Newfie
Super Colemanaholic

Post by Newfie »

The FA tube unscrews. You can put a set of pliers on the wider round part at the top and unscrew it. It might take a bit of effort to get it loose.

You can try using a set of pliers with non-marring teeth if you don't want tool marks. Personally I could care less about tool marks in that spot because they'll be hidden inside the fount when the valve is reassembled.

Thread sealer is not required on the FA tube when you reinstall. I like to stretch the FA tube spring a little bit before I put it back in. I do use blue thread sealer on the valve assembly threads that meet the fount.

alciuffetelli wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 11:56 pm
Mister_Wilson wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 11:43 pm By screwed up he means that the small hole at the bottom end of the f/a tube probably has some crud in it that's blocking the flow of gas while the rod is sticking through it. Try preheating your generator then opening the valve all the way. If it lights and stays lit, you'll need to pull the valve and clean the f/a, in particular that little hole, carefully, don't enlarge it, just clear it.
I posted earlier today about having problems with a f/a tube in a 335. I've pulled the valve from the fount, but how do you remove the f/a tube from the base of the valve assembly? Usually I see something with "flats" that I could put a wrench on, but this just has a wider, round part at the top. Can't tell if it unscrews or whether it's soldered. Any ideas?
Shane Looking for the following Canadian birthday lanterns or lamps: 2-32, 6-34,
bdickson

Post by bdickson »

Heat the genny, turn the fuel know on several turns, wait and apply flame. Generally not a big fuel ball. You have to wait until you hear the snake spit.
Sorry but it's "Zed" not "Zee" for Z and a lot of "our" words end in "our" not "or" it's a Canadian thing. Eh!
alciuffetelli

Post by alciuffetelli »

Phredd wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 12:51 am The parts diagram for a 335 shows an octagonal shape at the top of the fuel/air tube (see figure below). Is yours not like this?

335_Page_1.jpg
No...it's round, no flats at all. These brass parts are so delicate I didn't want to destroy it.
Al Ciuffetelli
ICCC#1977
zoomkat
Super Colemanaholic

Post by zoomkat »

"These brass parts are so delicate I didn't want to destroy it."

You should be able to trouble shoot any issues without taking it apart.