Did my 123R vent??

Post your tech questions here, lots of knowledge available.
Majicwrench
Super Colemanaholic

Did my 123R vent??

Post by Majicwrench »

Was playing with new toys last night, had the 123R running for 30 min cooking Cinnamon bread, shut it down to re-arrange things, fired it back up ( probably was off for 3 minutes?) and there was fuel on tank, some in spirit cup, and some on bottom. Slightly concerning --I was inside--- but it was only enough to burn for 10 seconds or so. After I was done , I cooled stove down in freezer and dunked it in warm water, expecting the packing would be leaking, but no leaks. Did this thing vent after I shut it down??
IMG_0552[1].JPG
IMG_0555[1].JPG
Stove was running less than full roar, I used the pricker to turn it down a bit. Bread was awesome.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Keith
TwoCanoes
Colmanaholic

Re: Did my 123R vent??

Post by TwoCanoes »

I used a Primus 71 with a Svea 123 vaporizer for many years (still use it occasionally). If I shut it off, I could re-light it within a few seconds, but if I waited for several minutes, it simply wouldn't run well. Wouldn't vaporize the fuel properly. Had to wait for it to cool down and then start the lighting process from scratch.
hikerduane
Super Colemanaholic

Post by hikerduane »

Keith, did you notice a candle flame when shutdown? Expansion/contraction, maybe you were too light on shutting it down and valve needed to be turned a tiny bit more. Can't see fuel escaping very good in water. :)
Duane
Duane-All seasons, year round backpacker and camper.  So many stoves and lanterns, who's counting.
Tgarner01
Super Colemanaholic

Post by Tgarner01 »

Possible there was some crud under the valve seat? Doesn't seem likely with that setup..
Toby Garner, from SW Missouri
ICCC #1939
Majicwrench
Super Colemanaholic

Post by Majicwrench »

First time I lit this one a month or so ago there was a candle flame, but have used it a dozen times since and it shuts off like a light switch.
Duane, once under water, I did tip it on side, in hopes if valve was leaking it would bubble air and not fuel.
Keith
hikerduane
Super Colemanaholic

Post by hikerduane »

I've been round and round with some of these type burners. Fix a candle flame out the spindle, fire it up a few times then leaks again. Had one that even with a new spindle still had a candle flame. Flushed the burner a few times with all parts off, miraculously after a few times it quit leaking after shutdown. What did I fix?
Duane
Duane-All seasons, year round backpacker and camper.  So many stoves and lanterns, who's counting.
Stovie

Post by Stovie »

Have never had a Svea leak before the way you describe. On shutdown, the problem actually quickly becomes a vacuum buildup in the tank that prevents easy priming for the next start. This is why the advice to loosen the cap briefly when cool and retighten.

But if the spindle isn't completely closed at shutdown it would tend to leak vapor, and then raw fuel.
Majicwrench
Super Colemanaholic

Post by Majicwrench »

It never had much of a chance to cool down, and it lit right off, as did the fuel on the tank and base of the windscreen...that it lit off the moment I put flame to the burner would indicate it still had pressure in tank.
When I shut it down the second time after baking (and it shut off instantly) I kept an eye on the nipple and the packing nut to see if any fuel showed, and none did.
Will try this one again. Thanks for the input.
Keith
Deanofid

Post by Deanofid »

Bread sure looks good! Venting or not. (Maybe it was upset with things in general.)
Dean -Midnight Kerosene Ritualist--Deans Machine:  Deansmachine.com  
ICCC #1220.   275 commiseration #0018.
"In Him was life, and His life was the Light of men."  John 1:4