coleman lantern 220J

Post your tech questions here, lots of knowledge available.
old_camper

coleman lantern 220J

Post by old_camper »

Hey fellas,

I'm new to the forum and need some advice. On a 220J lantern, the valve wheel turns very easily. Shouldn't there be some resistance when you open it? This lantern was given to me and was probably used a few times and then put away. I also own a 220F that works good.
Any advice is appreciated.
zoomkat
Super Colemanaholic

Re: coleman lantern 220J

Post by zoomkat »

" the valve wheel turns very easily. Shouldn't there be some resistance when you open it?"

If there is no leakage, then there probably is not an issue. If it just doesn't "feel right", then you might snug up a little on the packing nut.
old_camper

Post by old_camper »

I appreciate the reply. I'll do that and see what happens.
TwoCanoes
Colmanaholic

Post by TwoCanoes »

Lanterns vary regarding how much effort it takes to turn the valve wheel. If the pump works and the lantern holds pressure, with fuel in the fount, give the pump a few strokes and look for a fuel leak around the packing nut on the valve stem. If no leak, add more pressure and watch for a leak. If you can pump it to higher-than-normal operating pressure without a fuel leak I'd say you're good to go with the easy turning valve. If you encounter a leak, just tighten the packing nut a hair. Tighten the packing nut just a tiny bit at a time until the leak stops
Kgam1020
Super Colemanaholic

Post by Kgam1020 »

Welcome to the forum! +1 on the above advise. I have a few lanterns ( one being a 220J ) that the valve wheel turns very easy and I haven't had any issues. While other lanterns the wheel turns a little harder. Like said above, if you feel you need to tighten the packing nut a tad then do so but if it isn't leaking then I would leave it as is.
Ken.
Looking for Bday lanterns, 10/83, 11/84 and 10/2011.
Milspec Syndicate member #1020 
Trout
Serious Colemanaholic

Post by Trout »

If the valve seat is in good shape you should have no leak at the packing nut even if the packing is loose/bad. You have to have the valve open a bit to get pressure/fuel down the valve stem to the packing. If you have a leak at the valve packing with the valve closed then you also have a bad valve seat/stem seal situation.
I would take the lantern outside,snug the packing nut, and with the 9/16" wrench at the ready, open the valve. I tighten the nut more if a leak occurs. Then I blow through vent to expel excess fumes
and light the lantern. YMMV
Mike
If a man made it, a man can fix it - My Father
ICCC 1473