Nickel Plating Cost

Post your tech questions here, lots of knowledge available.
dhosking

Nickel Plating Cost

Post by dhosking »

What is a typical cost to electro-plate a 228D fount with bright nickel finsh? The old nickel finish is down to brass in some spots, otherwise the fount is in good shape. Thanks.
Leviticus_Tomethreus
Super Colemanaholic

Re: Nickel Plating Cost

Post by Leviticus_Tomethreus »

If it’s just some spots, live with it. It’s only original once. You can always try playing on your own. Would be less expensive.
My friends don’t call me “Lantern/lampie Levi” for nothin’,if they did call me that.
Looking for bday lanterns 8/38, 8/41,
10/25, and 8/07
The biggest lie I tell myself is ”I don’t need to write that down, I’ll remember it.”
“People say nothing is impossible, but I do nothing everyday” -A.A. Milne
Now officially ICCC member #1995. Most likely the youngest member with a registered name.

You guessed it, Levi Tomey 
Dmacp
Super Colemanaholic

Post by Dmacp »

If it’s just some spots, live with it. It’s only original once.
Original didn't have spots.
Dan
ICCC member #604
Coldwaterpaddler
Serious Colemanaholic

Post by Coldwaterpaddler »

If I owned a 1969 Dodge Charger RT and the paint was worn down to the sheet metal in spots and I didn't like how it looked, I would have no problem repainting it, so . . I feel the same way about old GPA's, whether paint or nickel. My vote is to make it the way you like it.

Some people have done their own plating but I'm pretty sure I remember that someone else posted the name of a plater in a relatively recent post. Maybe it was last fall? I don't recall the name and haven't used one . . . yet. I'm kinda curious myself. I've got a couple I'd like to replate if I don't plate them myself.
Stovie-Steve
"Don't let the weather run your life" - Steve
The Coleman Blues - #95
dhosking

Post by dhosking »

My father was an electro-plater for 50 years so I got to watch the processes as a kid. Regrettably, I didn't pay close attention although I do recall that many of the acids he used were pretty awful and dangerous stuff. There are some videos on Youtube about home plating setups, but for me it is too elaborate and expensive for just one or two founts. I will contact some local platers here in Missouri next week and then post here what I find out about costs.
Rfieldbuilds
Colemanaholic

Post by Rfieldbuilds »

Bruce Kuda on FB is doing some playing for collectors. I think he is reasonable priced.
I’ve looked locally and been quoted &80-100 for a fount.
Randy
QL #15, Slant Saver #59, #0269 Turd Hurdler, #0269 Mil Spec Syndicate, Coleman Blues 243 #0269, BernzOmatic Appreciation Club #072, Sears Traveler 2.0 Host #1, and a few others too.
Ridge_Runner
Super Colemanaholic

Post by Ridge_Runner »

New England Chrome Plating in Connecticut is a reputable company that other members have used for refinishing nickel.

I called them last summer and their over-the-phone estimate seemed reasonable to me. Not sure though how much you want to invest in your project though. If I remember correctly it was around $65.

Greg (Rubing) has used them recently and might be able to give some more insight as to the quality of their work. Try sending him a PM.
— L.J.

Looking for 10/2015 & 1/2020 B-Day Lanterns
I love the smell of naphtha in the morning!
"Ain’t no need to watch where I’m goin’; just need to know where I’ve been" -Tow Mater
Tgarner01
Super Colemanaholic

Post by Tgarner01 »

Rfieldbuilds wrote: Sat Jan 16, 2021 6:58 pm Bruce Kuda on FB is doing some playing for collectors. I think he is reasonable priced.
+1 on Bruce
Toby Garner, from SW Missouri
ICCC #1939
Rubing
Super Colemanaholic

Post by Rubing »

I sent my 319 fount to New England and there was an upcharge because I had stress cracks repaired and they had to blend them in. IIRC it wound up being $100 plus postage both ways. The nickel came out beautifully. It took a little longer than what was originally quoted but to be fair I mailed it to them last March.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Rubing on Sat Jan 16, 2021 9:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ICCC # 1402
Rubing
Super Colemanaholic

Post by Rubing »

Tgarner01 wrote: Sat Jan 16, 2021 9:01 pm
Rfieldbuilds wrote: Sat Jan 16, 2021 6:58 pm Bruce Kuda on FB is doing some playing for collectors. I think he is reasonable priced.
+1 on Bruce
I did contact Bruce prior to sending it to New England early last year but at the time he didn’t have a large enough power supply to plate brass founts. He was only plating steel founts at that time but I think he has upgraded his system since then.
ICCC # 1402
Tgarner01
Super Colemanaholic

Post by Tgarner01 »

Rubing wrote: Sat Jan 16, 2021 9:25 pm
Tgarner01 wrote: Sat Jan 16, 2021 9:01 pm
+1 on Bruce
I did contact Bruce prior to sending it to New England early last year but at the time he didn’t have a large enough power supply to plate brass founts. He was only plating steel founts at that time but I think he has upgraded his system since then.
I'm guessing you're right. Just looking at his photos it looks good anyhow 😁
ICCC #1939
Coldwaterpaddler
Serious Colemanaholic

Post by Coldwaterpaddler »

Considering it could cost $50 to re-enamel a vent, $65 to get a fount re-plated isn't actually too bad, IMO. The re-plated 319 looks awesome from what I could see. And, if you really enjoy a particular GPA it might be completely worth it. As I noted in a post in December, I had a pre-war 237A vent re-enameled in SeaFoam green and have no regrets. Love it!
Stovie-Steve
"Don't let the weather run your life" - Steve
The Coleman Blues - #95
Sam_McCord

Post by Sam_McCord »

This is good information. I have a 202 needing replated as the nickel chipped around the hole I drilled for the electrical cord. Thanks:)
Doug

Why is there never enough time to do it right but always enough time to do it over?
Rubing
Super Colemanaholic

Post by Rubing »

When I bought the 319 it was in really great condition other than about 4 stress cracks. Between having the stress cracks soldered up, Caswell and nickel plating it probably cost me about $250 with postage but that is a drop in the bucket to have a running 319.
Aside from the fount and filler cap all the rest of the nickel plating is original.
ICCC # 1402
Tgarner01
Super Colemanaholic

Post by Tgarner01 »

Sam_McCord wrote: Sat Jan 16, 2021 9:42 pm This is good information. I have a 202 needing replated as the nickel chipped around the hole I drilled for the electrical cord. Thanks:)
🤪 That's hilarious
ICCC #1939
Phredd
Serious Colemanaholic

Post by Phredd »

FYI - I got a quote from New England Plating last month for a 237. They said between 75 and 85.

Phredd
ICCC#1799
Coleman Quick Lite Crew #40
Rubing
Super Colemanaholic

Post by Rubing »

Phredd wrote: Sat Jan 16, 2021 11:39 pm FYI - I got a quote from New England Plating last month for a 237. They said between 75 and 85.
FWIW I mailed the fount out west to Dean Williams to get the stress cracks repaired and I was as nervous as a whore in church mailing it so it it was insured for $500 each way even though that wouldn’t have covered the loss of the fount.
I searched a 2 hour radius drive from where I live for a nickel plater so I could drive it there instead of mailing it again to no avail. This radius included Detroit and Chicago, due to environmental regulations the only platers I know of are Bruce, New England and a source Murff has on the west coast.
ICCC # 1402
Ridge_Runner
Super Colemanaholic

Post by Ridge_Runner »

Rubing Greg, that really did come out sweet.

I’m also jealous of the collection in the reflection 😁
— L.J.

Looking for 10/2015 & 1/2020 B-Day Lanterns
I love the smell of naphtha in the morning!
"Ain’t no need to watch where I’m goin’; just need to know where I’ve been" -Tow Mater
Rfieldbuilds
Colemanaholic

Post by Rfieldbuilds »

For the record, Johnson plating in Oakland Ca is who I spoke to. He has a very busy shop. I want to make sure the source is recorded for anyone that may need it.
Randy
QL #15, Slant Saver #59, #0269 Turd Hurdler, #0269 Mil Spec Syndicate, Coleman Blues 243 #0269, BernzOmatic Appreciation Club #072, Sears Traveler 2.0 Host #1, and a few others too.
arizonacamper
Serious Colemanaholic

Post by arizonacamper »

There's a couple of places here in Tucson and I think there's one in Phoenix that'll do nickel and chrome plating if anybody wants their information I will post it
Shawn
Owner of Copper State Diesel And Automotive.
Coleman Quicklite crew #54
Coleman blues 243 #147
Coleman 275 appreciation #74
Milspec syndicate #39

Looking for any lanterns or stoves dated 5/63 or 1/72
Jeepstircrazy
Serious Colemanaholic

Post by Jeepstircrazy »

Just a quick google search in NY and there are several plating companies in Syracuse but this is the one that intrigues me.
http://www.rochesterovernightplating.com/index.html
Wayne signing off...

What's the lowest you'll take for this lantern?                                                

Today is a gift, that's why they call it the present.
Rubing
Super Colemanaholic

Post by Rubing »

To be correct there are several places in Detroit, Chicago and Indiana that will do mass nickel plating but none that I could find that would do a one off piece.
ICCC # 1402
arizonacamper
Serious Colemanaholic

Post by arizonacamper »

Check out Capital Metal Finishing out of Tucson AZ. This place does great work and are reasonably priced. If you don't want to send it to them directly you can send it to me and i can get it to them. They are not too far from where i work now. Just an offer.
Shawn
Owner of Copper State Diesel And Automotive.
Coleman Quicklite crew #54
Coleman blues 243 #147
Coleman 275 appreciation #74
Milspec syndicate #39

Looking for any lanterns or stoves dated 5/63 or 1/72
holliswood
Super Colemanaholic

Post by holliswood »

dhosking

I’m glad you brought this topic up.
I’ve got a 60’s Petromax 829 that’s a complete brassy and have been contemplating getting it replated.

For those members here that have had a vent re-nickeled and actually fired the lantern back up, any results good or bad on how the nickel has held up?
-Fred

ICCC Member #1871
MilSpec-Ops #1278
Coleman Quick Lite Crew #41
Perfection Heater Collectors #2 
CANADIAN BLUES SYNDICATE #57
Coleman Slant Saver #65

snipesfred on Insta
Big Ferd on YT
dhosking

Post by dhosking »

dhosking wrote: Sat Jan 16, 2021 6:43 pm My father was an electro-plater for 50 years so I got to watch the processes as a kid. Regrettably, I didn't pay close attention although I do recall that many of the acids he used were pretty awful and dangerous stuff. There are some videos on Youtube about home plating setups, but for me it is too elaborate and expensive for just one or two founts. I will contact some local platers here in Missouri next week and then post here what I find out about costs.
I found a shop here in Missouri that does electro-less nickel plating. The owner was very helpful and said that if I polish the fount perfectly, then the cost to plate would be between $40 and $60, depending on how much touching up he would need to do before plating. That sounds reasonable but I am not sure if a 1948 Model 228D is worth the investment. I am on the fence whether to proceed.
joesmoe3

Post by joesmoe3 »

I just sent a fount to Bruce to be plated.

He said he will remove the enamel, but he doesn't replace the enamel.

While folks are talking about sources, is there a place send a cap to be restored with heat-resistant coating ?
Phredd
Serious Colemanaholic

Post by Phredd »

Fred

Let me know if you find a good place in central NC for nickle plating. I contacted a couple places in the Raleigh_Durham area and none of them do single piece work.

Kevin

Phredd
ICCC#1799
Coleman Quick Lite Crew #40
williamlee111
Colemanaholic

Post by williamlee111 »

Leviticus_Tomethreus wrote: Sat Jan 16, 2021 4:59 pm If it’s just some spots, live with it. It’s only original once. You can always try playing on your own. Would be less expensive.
+1 It's only original once
Not looking for anything. I have too much already, my wife says. 

Bill
holliswood
Super Colemanaholic

Post by holliswood »

Phredd wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 5:38 pm Fred

Let me know if you find a good place in central NC for nickle plating. I contacted a couple places in the Raleigh_Durham area and none of them do single piece work.

Kevin
Will do 👍🏻 Hopefully I’ll get motivated to get it right this year.
-Fred

ICCC Member #1871
MilSpec-Ops #1278
Coleman Quick Lite Crew #41
Perfection Heater Collectors #2 
CANADIAN BLUES SYNDICATE #57
Coleman Slant Saver #65

snipesfred on Insta
Big Ferd on YT