533 Naphtha-only vs Dual Fuel Stove

Post your tech questions here, lots of knowledge available.
dbeach

533 Naphtha-only vs Dual Fuel Stove

Post by dbeach »

Aside from the generator, is there any difference between the naphtha-only 533 stove and the dual fuel version? Can the naphtha-only model be made 'dual fuel' just by switching generators?

And, since I almost always use naphtha and only use regular gas in 'emergency' situations, is there any downside to having the Dual Fuel model? I'd like to have the ability to use regular gas if needed in those rare situations.

David
74HARLEY
Super Colemanaholic

Re: 533 Naphtha-only vs Dual Fuel Stove

Post by 74HARLEY »

The big difference between the fuels is rug (regular unleaded gas) will clog the generator faster. Generally the "dual fuel" gen is a little fatter to give it a longer running life. Any Coleman stove can burn rug, it just requires more maintenance. For emergency use I wouldn't worry about it.
Joe
looking for 200a 11-56,9-77,2-65 Coleman 275 appreciation syndicate member #0004 ICCC #1262
Coleman Quick Lite Crew #19
Frank appreciation syndicate member #9
25_502s
Super Colemanaholic

Post by 25_502s »

I thought all 533’s were dual fuel??
Jason
not looking for any more Bday gpas. Honestly, if you have a 10-72 don’t let me know about it.
Coleman 275 Appreciation Syndicate #0214
Coleman Slant Saver #56
Coleman Quick Lite Crew #31
dbeach

Post by dbeach »

The "Dual Fuel" model is now all that is listed on the Coleman website but they did (at least until recently) make one that looked identical but was for naphtha and lacked the "Dual Fuel" labelling. That is what got me wondering what the actual differences were. Could there be none? Or just a "fatter" generator?
JimL
Super Colemanaholic

Post by JimL »

Marketing fluff.

The theory at least is that the thicker dual fuel generator will last longer on RUG, but that's not my experience. I have no concerns running RUG in a lantern, but not a stove. I personally don't want those fumes anywhere near my food.
-Jim

Flammable liquids, open flame, what could go wrong?

Today's forecast calls for 100% chance of coffee!
zoomkat
Super Colemanaholic

Post by zoomkat »

"Could there be none? Or just a "fatter" generator?"

I doubt that there is any difference in the generators. You might research replacements and if there are any differences. People that have them might measure the thickness of their generators and post the measurements up to compare for differences.
25_502s
Super Colemanaholic

Post by 25_502s »

I bought the bottom gen on eBay for a fair price but noticed most of the 533 gens are like the top pic. I’m curious what the extra tube section on my gen is?? The part #s are the same which seem odd as often as Coleman changes #’s
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Jason
not looking for any more Bday gpas. Honestly, if you have a 10-72 don’t let me know about it.
Coleman Slant Saver #56
MYN927
Serious Colemanaholic

Post by MYN927 »

25_502s wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 5:44 am I’m curious what the extra tube section on my gen is?
Is that separable by any means? Unscrewing or something?
25_502s
Super Colemanaholic

Post by 25_502s »

I haven’t received it yet but I doubt I will open it until I absolutely need to. I’ll try and see if it moves any.
Jason
Coleman Slant Saver #56
zoomkat
Super Colemanaholic

Post by zoomkat »

"Is that separable by any means? Unscrewing or something?"

Past discussions indicate that the 533 style generators can't be taken apart further than just pulling out the long pricker wire. The joints/fittings appear to be brazed. Someone had an old generator and heated the joints up to orange heat and the joints did not release. The sleeve is interesting in that I think some more recent lantern generators may have had a sleeve on the generator. The reason for the sleeve could be any number of things.
MotorcycleDan
Serious Colemanaholic

Post by MotorcycleDan »

The 533 is marketed as the Duel Fuel. The 508 was marketed as the Coleman Fuel only version. Both stoves are the same other than the color. You can put a duel fuel generator on a 508. That extra sleeve is brazed on, it can not be moved. I have a couple of 440 Duel Fuel stoves that they did that to the generator. The only thing I can think of for it being there is to add a little more heat surface to vaporize the RUG a little better like the thicker lantern generator does.

I am with Jim on not using RUG in a stove. I bought my 440 duel fuel for motorcycle camping. I was thinking I could just carry extra RUG for the stove and dump it in the bike if I needed to. Well, the first time I put RUG in the stove, the smell from the fuel burning was so bad, I did not want that anywhere near my food. I just carry extra CF. And yes, I have had to put CF in the bike gas tank once to get me to the next gas station. I was in the middle of nowhere on the Colorado front range!
Dan ICCC #900
ICCC Treasure
dbeach

Post by dbeach »

I'm not sure if this will clarify or confuse the issue but, here goes: While searching the Internet, I found this PDF of a manual for a 'naphtha only' 533. I think it is for a Canadian product. (Not only is the manual English/French, no Spanish, but the URL has 'Canada' in it! I have no idea about the website's authenticity.)

https://s7d1.scene7.com/is/content/Cole ... %20CAD.pdf

The picture of the stove in the document is hilarious - it looks like a crudely 'doctored' photo of the Dual Fuel 533 with '533 Naphtha' stuck on. And the other pictures show a black, unlabelled fount. Strange.

I compared the parts list to a parts list for the 533 I found on the Old Coleman Parts website:

https://www.oldcolemanparts.com/diagrams/533-700J.jpg

They list the *same* generator (533-5891) but the Dual Fuel valve assembly is 508-5551 and the valve assembly on the ?Canadian 'naphtha only' stove is 508 A 5571. I find it hard to believe that the valve would be the critical difference between the dual fuel vs naphtha stoves. It does make me wonder if the 533 is marketed with different labels but without any mechanical differences.
Smudge
Super Colemanaholic

Post by Smudge »

I bought this Naphtha 533 on ebay 3 or 4 years ago. I cost more than the dual fuel, but I thought it looked cool.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Smudge on Wed Jan 20, 2021 3:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
Karen - ICCC #1726
Perfection Heater Collectors #6
Frank Appreciation Syndicate #021
Bernz0matiC Appreciation Club #057
JimL
Super Colemanaholic

Post by JimL »

>>The theory at least is that the thicker dual fuel generator will last longer on RUG, but that's not my experience.

To clarify the above statement I previously made, at least with lanterns, I do not mean to imply that you have a choice of a dual fuel generator or non-dual fuel one for the same GPA. My experience was with running lanterns on gasoline for a year, and the thicker generator on a dual fuel lantern lasted no longer than the thinner generator of the 200A.
-Jim

MYN927
Serious Colemanaholic

Post by MYN927 »

I beginning to wildly guess that the extra sleeve/tube piece on the unleaded generator might contain some fibrous filter material within. Either as a backflow/pulsing suppression or to reduce the likelihood of RUG sludge from clogging the tip.
dbeach

Post by dbeach »

This may be kicking a dead horse but... I found a PDF of a "Sportster II Dual-Fuel Stove" (533 series) manual copyrighted in 2008 and compared it to the manual I got with my recently purchased "Naphtha 533" stove. My manual is copyrighted 2014. Guess what? *ALL* the part numbers on the exploded parts diagram are the identical. There appears to be no difference in the stoves except one is called "Dual-Fuel" and has a different decal.

I'm in Canada. I wonder if there is a difference in unleaded fuel between us and the US and Coleman doesn't like us running the stove on Canadian unleaded gas? I don't use the stove a lot. Buying genuine Coleman fuel (or other good quality naphtha) is no financial hardship. I would use unleaded gas only if I could not get naphtha.
JimL
Super Colemanaholic

Post by JimL »

>>I'm in Canada. I wonder if there is a difference in unleaded fuel between us and the US and Coleman doesn't like us running the stove on Canadian unleaded gas?

I don't know about now, but at one time yes. I was told that at least a few years back, Coleman wasn't allowed to sell 'Dual Fuel' GPA's in Canada. Most likely that's the reason for the label differences. Perhaps one of our other Canadian friends can step in and elaborate and/or update us on this.

You may want to consider adding your first name to a signature or your profile. It'll make it easier to address you if we have a real name.
-Jim

dbeach

Post by dbeach »

Jim:
That’s an interesting thought and would explain the different labelling of identical stoves.
Thanks.
David