burner screen material

Post your tech questions here, lots of knowledge available.
alciuffetelli

burner screen material

Post by alciuffetelli »

I've picked up a lot of lanterns lately and a few are missing the burner screens (just the screens). Any suggestions on what fairly easily obtainable material to use to cut out some of my own?
Al Ciuffetelli
ICCC#1977
Hot_Diggity
Super Colemanaholic

Re: burner screen material

Post by Hot_Diggity »

The replacements I've seen all appear to be stainless steel. The easiest place to find stainless steel screen is in the cooking section of the local grocery store. I used a small hand strainer to make the preheat screen for my 231ish single fuel preheat experiment. It's held up just fine.
Chuck, 3/61, ICCC 1689
Milspec Syndicate #510
Coleman 275 Appreciation Syndicate #0510
Coleman Quick Lite Crew #12
BernzOmatic Appreciation Club #510
Coleman Slant Saver #510
Frank Appreciation Syndicate Member #2
Tinker, Toy maker, Trash picker, Wickie, Lamp loon
Kay-Mo

Post by Kay-Mo »

Would water faucet aerator screens be available individually? They would be stainless and may even be cut to about the right size.

-Ken
"In brightest day, in blackest night,
No evil shall escape my sight!
Let those who worship evil's might
Beware my power, Green Lantern's light!"
-Oath of the Green Lantern
zoomkat
Super Colemanaholic

Post by zoomkat »

"Any suggestions on what fairly easily obtainable material to use to cut out some of my own?"

Be aware that the typical burner screen is a somewhat coarse mesh made with thick (as compared to some typical screen material) brass wire. The function of the burner screen is to be a low flow restriction flame arrester. That notion needs to be factored in when looking for alternative materials.
JimL
Super Colemanaholic

Post by JimL »

-Jim

Flammable liquids, open flame, what could go wrong?

Today's forecast calls for 100% chance of coffee!
JimL
Super Colemanaholic

Post by JimL »

Just as a follow up, if the screens are missing, check the condition of the burner caps themselves to make certain they can still hold the screen without it falling out.
-Jim

Flammable liquids, open flame, what could go wrong?

Today's forecast calls for 100% chance of coffee!
alciuffetelli

Post by alciuffetelli »

think I'll try this...
Al Ciuffetelli
ICCC#1977
Gasman64
Super Colemanaholic
Title: Gaseous Maximus

Post by Gasman64 »

Kay-Mo wrote: Sat Feb 06, 2021 1:16 am Would water faucet aerator screens be available individually? They would be stainless and may even be cut to about the right size.

-Ken
Yes, Ken; I did just that when I needed one for my 237.
Steve
ICCC #1012
South Eastern Pennsylvania
Phredd
Serious Colemanaholic

Post by Phredd »

Al,

I have used water faucet screens. One worked real well as a replacement for a Thermos lantern and it stopped that confounded popping. But it did restrict flow of a bit - so it is not as bright. It might be good to try to match the mesh size - which varied a lot over the evolution of Coleman lamps and lanterns.

I have also bought some replacement screens from OCP - they are the correct mesh and size and real easy to install.

Kevin

Phredd
ICCC#1799
Coleman Quick Lite Crew #40
alciuffetelli

Post by alciuffetelli »

Phredd wrote: Sat Feb 06, 2021 3:27 pm Al,

I have used water faucet screens. One worked real well as a replacement for a Thermos lantern and it stopped that confounded popping. But it did restrict flow of a bit - so it is not as bright. It might be good to try to match the mesh size - which varied a lot over the evolution of Coleman lamps and lanterns.

I have also bought some replacement screens from OCP - they are the correct mesh and size and real easy to install.

Kevin
I made a nice burner screen from the mesh I bought off Amazon...and the old 236 pops just like you described your experience without a screen. Before I replaced the screen and tied on a new mantle, I test fired and it seemed to run smoothly...nice blue flame...but not now. I know the check valve isn't sealing properly, even after cleaning, and I'll replace that, but I can't see how this would make it pop like this. The mesh I used says the grid is 1mm, which looks about right to me, but we'll see if this continues when I get the new burner cap and screen from Mike.
Al Ciuffetelli
ICCC#1977
alciuffetelli

Post by alciuffetelli »

I finally got around to replacing the burner screen with the OCP part...and the 236 runs fine. When I went to tie on the new mantle, the "home made" screen I did with the material from Amazon disintegrated and fell out. This was supposed to be stainless, 1mm mesh...pretty sure this shouldn't have happened. Live and learn.
Al Ciuffetelli
ICCC#1977