Loose valve wheel fix?

Post your tech questions here, lots of knowledge available.
TSPORT

Loose valve wheel fix?

Post by TSPORT »

Hi all. Had to swap valve stem on my 252 Milspec when I resurrected it. The valve wheel was a snug fit on the old one but now it’s a loose fit on the replacement stem. When opening and closing, the side to side play causes the retaining screw to loosen up. I put a dab of thread locker on the screw but I don’t have high hopes for a it as a proper fix. Don’t want to over-tighten as it deforms the direction disc. The splines on the valve stem are fine, just a looser fit in the wheel. Anybody have a good recommendation for a better fix? Thanks
Steve
Partial to single mantles & backpacking stoves (liquid fuel, of course!)
Dubblbubbl
Colemanaholic

Re: Loose valve wheel fix?

Post by Dubblbubbl »

How about a wrap or partial wrap of teflon tape on the splines. It may be too thick but could work. Or maybe a small square patch of teflon tape on the end of the valve stem before attaching the wheel, you should be able to punch the screw through it.
Rob in NC
MilSpecOps Syndicate #1962
Coleman 275 Appreciation Syndicate #1962

Sometimes we are the windshield, Sometimes we are the bug...
TSPORT

Post by TSPORT »

Dubblbubbl wrote: Fri Feb 12, 2021 11:31 am How about a wrap or partial wrap of teflon tape on the splines. It may be too thick but could work. Or maybe a small square patch of teflon tape on the end of the valve stem before attaching the wheel, you should be able to punch the screw through it.
I like that idea. Will give it a try. Thanks!
Steve
SteveRetherford
Super Colemanaholic

Post by SteveRetherford »

some wheels dont fit as snug as others , try swapping wheels til ya find one you like .
[DrSteve2]    Steve , Keeper of the Light !!!
TSPORT

Post by TSPORT »

SteveRetherford wrote: Fri Feb 12, 2021 4:04 pm some wheels dont fit as snug as others , try swapping wheels til ya find one you like .
Thanks, Steve. Problem is I don't have any extra wheels laying around. Don't want to take from another of my GPAs as they all fit fine. Aaah, nothing urgent about it. It's not like it's being used daily. Just like things to be right when I'm fixing them up.
Steve
zoomkat
Super Colemanaholic

Post by zoomkat »

You might use some of the gel super glue or similar (that can be removed if needed) on the shaft and knob, then put them together straight. Don't let any in the screw threads. This might stabilize the knob in its correct position.
SteveRetherford
Super Colemanaholic

Post by SteveRetherford »

the splines on the shaft dont fit snug to the splines in the wheel , prolly a little persuasion to a spline or two would snug it up . i have thought about it , but never did it .
[DrSteve2]    Steve , Keeper of the Light !!!
Rubing
Super Colemanaholic

Post by Rubing »

Is the screw too long and bottoming out?
ICCC # 1402
D421
Serious Colemanaholic

Post by D421 »

I have used aluminum foil to tighten them. No damage.
Dominic
Everyone likes the dog catcher...until they catch your dog.
ICCC #1992
TSPORT

Post by TSPORT »

Rubing wrote: Fri Feb 12, 2021 10:51 pm Is the screw too long and bottoming out?
No. It's the correct screw. The fit was perfect with the original valve but I could not get it to stop leaking air so I went with the valve from the donor fount I used. It was just a fount and valve assy., no extra parts came with it. Trids multiple times to correct leak. Pointed tip looked pristine when I was done (even under magnification) but still was getting blip-blip-blip air bubbles with dunk test. Guess I could have tried tinning the tip but moot point now. No leaks with other valve and lantern works great otherwise.
Steve
TSPORT

Post by TSPORT »

zoomkat wrote: Fri Feb 12, 2021 8:31 pm You might use some of the gel super glue or similar (that can be removed if needed) on the shaft and knob, then put them together straight. Don't let any in the screw threads. This might stabilize the knob in its correct position.
Another good suggestion, thanks! I was contemplating a dab of 2 part epoxy on the splines before putting the wheel on but am a little leery it may be overkill. Might just try the gel super glue. Pretty sure I can separate that easily enough if need be.
Steve
macwacs
Colemanaholic

Post by macwacs »

Now in the meantime at your leasure why not try tinning the original valve. Whats it going to hurt other than saveing something and eliminating the fit problem.
RMW
TSPORT

Post by TSPORT »

macwacs wrote: Sat Feb 13, 2021 6:55 pm Now in the meantime at your leasure why not try tinning the original valve. Whats it going to hurt other than saveing something and eliminating the fit problem.
RMW
Well, I kind of boogered up the splines on it screwing around with it when I was trying to get it to stop leaking and then removing from old valve body. Think I will try the tinning on it anyway for practice.
Steve