Kamp Kook No. 3

Post your tech questions here, lots of knowledge available.
Thedudeinboise

Kamp Kook No. 3

Post by Thedudeinboise »

I found this the other day and was shocked at how small it is. I'd never seen one of these in person before. It appears to be in decent shape, although it's missing a leg on the tank side. The fuel tank has a Schrader valve attachment to add pressure, but it looks like it was soldered. Is this original?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
-Adam
-Interested in anything late '82 or 3/55
-Coleman 275 Appreciation Syndicate #1208
Majicwrench
Super Colemanaholic

Re: Kamp Kook No. 3

Post by Majicwrench »

Not original.

Those are cute little stoves, yes, quite small.
Keith
hikerduane
Super Colemanaholic

Post by hikerduane »

That seems to be a fix for them. I was lucky and only had to unsolder the "fix" on one model I had so I could use a pump.
Duane
Duane-All seasons, year round backpacker and camper.  So many stoves and lanterns, who's counting.
outlawmws
Super Colemanaholic

Post by outlawmws »

Yeah, they came with a pump. I love mine.

More pics?

Which leg is missing? Front or rear? Is it a peg leg, or the swing leg?
[Logo%20Outlaw-half] 
Coleman Blue's 243's #341 - 275 Appreciation Syndicate member 0242
FAS #001 Confusing Future Generations of Collectors, One Lantern at a Time!

“A Human Being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, give orders, take orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook  a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly.  Specialization is for insects.”            - Lazarus Long

Thedudeinboise

Post by Thedudeinboise »

It's the right side/tank side swing legs. The bracket attaching them is gone too. It looks like a section of 2x4 or 4x4 would stabilize it for use.

I'm working on pulling it apart, so the burners are in a bag for now. The burner assembly is cooked onto the box pretty good, I've soaked some penetrating oil on it for a few days now and broken one of four anchor screws loose.

Operation seems pretty straightforward. I could see this as a fun little stove for boiling coffee pots at big camp sites in the morning- it's like half the size of a 413.

My general rule as a somewhat new collector is "keep it until you find one in better condition to replace it." I know nothing about these things, or if I'd even reasonably expect to find another one. I've just read the Terry Marsh site, which has a short paragraph and general date.

Should I take a torch to the pump valve solder job and try to get this thing running? Would I damage anything by doing so? Is it worth looking into replacement parts and getting it running or should I pass the project on to someone with more capacity for a more complete restoration?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
-Adam
-Interested in anything late '82 or 3/55
-Coleman 275 Appreciation Syndicate #1208
outlawmws
Super Colemanaholic

Post by outlawmws »

Stuck Burner screws first - stay on them with a good penetrating oil like Kroil, or 50-50 ATF and Acetone. Use heat on the burner "legs" only. The thin sheet metal won't take a lot of heat...

I lost two screws on my similar age three burner, trying to get them out, and had to drill -re-tap - and got lucky here and got some factory screws from a donor. They are 12-24, so no longer a common Hardware store item.

So the "tunnel" for the legs went missing? unless a donor carcass is available they may be a lost cause.

The rest is straightforward fetteling.

I'd leave the cap alone for the time being it was probably to a bicycle pump could be used. one of the larger portable frame mounted ones would do the trick. I would think a cap could be found to replace fairly easy? Post a wanted here in the classifieds. you wil thne also need a pump. - Thes eused a pump with a screw in short hose, so that is why I'd look for a replacement so you don't kill it while you try to fix it.

These ARE fun Stoves, and I have 3 -one early peg leg, and two later swing legs. I liked it the firs tone I saw and have two completely fettled (the peg leg,; my first one and one swing leg, my latest one.), and use them as my primary stove unless I'm going to cook for a group. I like them for the small space they take up (My primary rig is a Samurai, not a lot of available space...)
[Logo%20Outlaw-half] 

“A Human Being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, give orders, take orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook  a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly.  Specialization is for insects.”            - Lazarus Long

JimL
Super Colemanaholic

Post by JimL »

For a laptop size stove, they sure are heavy. And they're very functional!

I too would use a bicycle pump to try it out, but don't go nuts with pressure. The pumps these came with were tiny pumps, I guess about like Coleman iron size. You can de-solder the Schrader at any time, but I would wait until the right pump was found.
-Jim

Flammable liquids, open flame, what could go wrong?

Today's forecast calls for 100% chance of coffee!
outlawmws
Super Colemanaholic

Post by outlawmws »

I forgot to mention, Marty also has a couple of 3's.
[Logo%20Outlaw-half]