Rusty, pitted pump tube fix. Repairable??

Post your tech questions here, lots of knowledge available.
JD37B

Rusty, pitted pump tube fix. Repairable??

Post by JD37B »

I have a beautiful 11/55 220E fount that must have been in storage with water in the pump tube. It is now rusty and pitted. Cleaned it out with a hone and still have major pits. I assume the pump leather will not seal and will not be able to pressurize the fount. Is there a method anybody has used that will fill in the pits and make the pump tube work properly again? I have some ideas but would like to hear from someone who has BTDT. Ron
hikerduane
Super Colemanaholic

Re: Rusty, pitted pump tube fix. Repairable??

Post by hikerduane »

Heavy grease smeared around best you can?
Duane
Duane-All seasons, year round backpacker and camper.  So many stoves and lanterns, who's counting.
Stovie

Post by Stovie »

Clean it up as best possible, and try and fill in the pits and such smoothly with a skim coat of JB-Weld? Problem being with this theory, hardly anything will standup to direct contact with gasoline on a long term basis. I think it would be OK in this application. The handy types might cut down the pump & leather diameter and maybe sleeve it, something like that.
salukispeed
Serious Colemanaholic

Post by salukispeed »

You might be surprised how well a leather cup can deal with the rust. if you hone the tube enough to get it smooth ( ish ) and actually leave the rust in the pits it becomes an ugly but functional tube again A bit of extra oil on the cup can help. My 286 user is that way and has not destroyed the cup yet. although it is not perfect it seems to work. But look carefully for leaks into the tube as some have rusted thru in the pits
Bob
ICCC 1868
Perfection appreciation #10
Milspec 65252
Phredd
Serious Colemanaholic

Post by Phredd »

I have a 220f with pits in the tube. the leather cup still works, but not as good as it should. It just takes more pumps to get it up to to pressure.

i wonder it a skim coat of POR would work to fill in the pits.

K

Phredd
ICCC#1799
Coleman Quick Lite Crew #40
egroscup
Colemanaholic

Post by egroscup »

Don't assume, try it out. It will probably work reasonably well. If it doesn't on to the next step. Schrader fill cap comes to mind. E.
The year 2259, the place Babylon 5
Erik
Tgarner01
Super Colemanaholic

Post by Tgarner01 »

salukispeed wrote: Sat Feb 13, 2021 3:36 pm You might be surprised how well a leather cup can deal with the rust. if you hone the tube enough to get it smooth ( ish ) and actually leave the rust in the pits it becomes an ugly but functional tube again A bit of extra oil on the cup can help. My 286 user is that way and has not destroyed the cup yet. although it is not perfect it seems to work. But look carefully for leaks into the tube as some have rusted thru in the pits
+1 make it smooth, use a good leather cup and it'll work 👍
Toby Garner, from SW Missouri
ICCC #1939
zoomkat
Super Colemanaholic

Post by zoomkat »

"I assume the pump leather will not seal and will not be able to pressurize the fount. "

Smooth the tube sides with a little sandpaper, then it out and see if it works. If the issue is just pits and not a tube breach, then the pump will probably function as normal.
MarkWmDavis

Post by MarkWmDavis »

A dowel, a drill, a piece of 80,120 ,220 grit sand paper. Slit the Dowel to hold the sp. Run the drill both ways and think piston bore. Sp will not take out all the putting but will round off all of the pits sharp edges. Pump cup will feel more smooth and the Pits will not tear up the leather.
hikerduane
Super Colemanaholic

Post by hikerduane »

MarkWmDavis wrote: Sat Feb 13, 2021 5:23 pm A dowel, a drill, a piece of 80,120 ,220 grit sand paper. Slit the Dowel to hold the sp. Run the drill both ways and think piston bore. Sp will not take out all the putting but will round off all of the pits sharp edges. Pump cup will feel more smooth and the Pits will not tear up the leather.
A hone has already been used.
Duane
Duane-All seasons, year round backpacker and camper.  So many stoves and lanterns, who's counting.
Gavercronos
Serious Colemanaholic
Title: Guy Who Does Stuff

Post by Gavercronos »

If it's not got a hole in it, sleeve it with a thin walled brass tube and some epoxy around the bottom. If it has got a hole, or you want to be extra sure, put a layer of epoxy on the pitting as well.
WillCat

Chautauqua County, New York
Slant Saver [svg] Frank MakerNew York State Route 5 marker

Wanted: GPA dated 5/89, 7D Mag-lite
My greatest fear is Flying Walruses with Tommy guns for Tusks.
MarkWmDavis

Post by MarkWmDavis »

You can't get all the pits out. But you can get it smooth enough to pump it up without destroying the leather. And I forgot to tell you, use plenty of oil and rinse it out with carb cleaner before testing and in between grits.
JD37B

Post by JD37B »

Thanks for all the information and ideas. I put a rifle bore scope in the tube and I see that one spot may have gone through and have a pin-hole. Might have to make a sleeve out of brass shim stock and epoxy it into place. Somehow. Got to do more thinking about it. Ron
hikerduane
Super Colemanaholic

Post by hikerduane »

Well, not like this is a rare item, maybe time to just use as a shelf queen or part out.
Duane
sleebus

Post by sleebus »

JD37B wrote: Sun Feb 14, 2021 3:02 pm Thanks for all the information and ideas. I put a rifle bore scope in the tube and I see that one spot may have gone through and have a pin-hole. Might have to make a sleeve out of brass shim stock and epoxy it into place. Somehow. Got to do more thinking about it. Ron
Don't gamble with pinholes. As Duane says, it's not that particularly rare.
Check out my channel at GasUnderPressure
Phredd
Serious Colemanaholic

Post by Phredd »

Agree about pinholes. Don't try to repair it.

K

Phredd
ICCC#1799
Coleman Quick Lite Crew #40
Sandman
Colemanaholic

Post by Sandman »

If pump tube does have a pinhole, I would fill pump tube with epoxy....seal it off completely.....put amish fuel cap with schrader valve on it.....but thats me

ICCC  #1869
Coleman Quick-lite crew #25
Coleman Blues 243 #158
Coleman 275 appreciation #0232