Questions about a Coleman 150

Post your tech questions here, lots of knowledge available.
christianmoller

Questions about a Coleman 150

Post by christianmoller »

Hello everybody,
New to this forum and a short introduction of me :)
I'm from Sweden and have a very big interest in technology, new or old doesn't matter for me.
I have this interest a bit on the side as my main interest is cars and boats(have an old Model A ford with a Flathead).
15 years ago i bought my first Coleman, Quick lite from late 10th/early 20th(solderd nut in the bottom and fiber wheel).
short after that i bought another one same era(solderd nut).
I also have a couple of older primus and Optimus tilleys and two radius lamps and some others.
i recently bought a Coleman 150 from Ebay(some of you might have seen it) and after some cleaning it went to life but at first it burned with a very yellow light but after switching to a used nozzle from my Primus 1051 it performs ok.
I'm a bit unsure of the beauty in this lamp but it's nice and fun old lamp
I should buy me a new generator but i'm a bit unsure what to buy, is a 220e ok to run on modern fuels?
And is there anyone that can help me with how the shade holder and inner globe looks like?

Thank's
Christian

pic of the 150
IMG_20210213_163820.jpg
And a pic of my first Coleman
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Leviticus_Tomethreus
Super Colemanaholic

Re: Questions about a Coleman 150

Post by Leviticus_Tomethreus »

Wow! Awesome rare lamp! The inner globe is the 355 globe. Needs a special holder I think. Might just use the standard holder. A custom one can be made to fit a 220 globe instead. Generator is either 220 or roto generator. I’m not sure. Probably 220. Yellow light could also be the mantles. Newer Coleman’s kinda suck. Peerless are better. Old Silk Lites are the bomb.
My friends don’t call me “Lantern/lampie Levi” for nothin’,if they did call me that.
Looking for bday lanterns 8/38, 8/41,
10/25, and 8/07
The biggest lie I tell myself is ”I don’t need to write that down, I’ll remember it.”
“People say nothing is impossible, but I do nothing everyday” -A.A. Milne
Now officially ICCC member #1995. Most likely the youngest member with a registered name.

You guessed it, Levi Tomey 
Whitegas Extraordinaire
Super Colemanaholic

Post by Whitegas Extraordinaire »

Nice Tilley on the wall!
✌🏽

Thank you!
Kevin

I may frighten easily!
My current shade is Coleman!!
To me a lamp without a shade is creepy!

ICCC # 1865

christianmoller

Whitegas Extraordinaire wrote: Sat Feb 13, 2021 4:42 pm Nice Tilley on the wall!
✌🏽
Thank's
i got two actually, one each side of the window :D
Pancholoco1911
Super Colemanaholic

Post by Pancholoco1911 »

Is the Jet on your generator worn? I assume it is, a new 220e9851 generator will solve the issue.

Nice lamps and the Tilley on the back is exceptional and if you got two you should part with one hahaha

:cf_welcomejump:
~Pancho~

ICCC MEMBER #: 1993
SteveRetherford
Super Colemanaholic

Post by SteveRetherford »

when you say modern fuels , what does that mean , what do you burn in Sweden ? it may determine the generator best for you .

from what i recall these came with a parchment shade with a mica inside . i have one with a 355 on it for now but no Vase !!!

the 220 generator is intended for coleman fuel not kerosene ??? it could be modified to burn kero . but coleman fuels burns the cleanest .
[DrSteve2]    Steve , Keeper of the Light !!!
christianmoller

SteveRetherford wrote: Sat Feb 13, 2021 5:00 pm when you say modern fuels , what does that mean , what do you burn in Sweden ? it may determine the generator best for you .

from what i recall these came with a parchment shade with a mica inside . i have one with a 355 on it for now but no Vase !!!

the 220 generator is intended for coleman fuel not kerosene ???
We have some sort of chemical gasoline used for lawn movers and chainsaws, not fossil.
I think it is close to the Coleman fuel.
I have tried regular unleaded on the other lamp but it smells a lot and doesn't burn nice.
I had an idea of use the same shade as the other one above for now until i get the correct part's.

/Christian
christianmoller

Pancholoco1911 wrote: Sat Feb 13, 2021 4:52 pm Is the Jet on your generator worn? I assume it is, a new 220e9851 generator will solve the issue.

Nice lamps and the Tilley on the back is exceptional and if you got two you should part with one hahaha

Would like to have two Coleman wall lamps in the bedroom on each side of the bed:lol:

/Christian
Leviticus_Tomethreus
Super Colemanaholic

Post by Leviticus_Tomethreus »

christianmoller wrote: Sat Feb 13, 2021 5:24 pm
Pancholoco1911 wrote: Sat Feb 13, 2021 4:52 pm Is the Jet on your generator worn? I assume it is, a new 220e9851 generator will solve the issue.

Would like to have two Coleman wall lamps in the bedroom on each side of the bed:lol:

/Christian
Good luck. Gonna be like $700 with shipping to Sweden. Hahaha
My friends don’t call me “Lantern/lampie Levi” for nothin’,if they did call me that.
Looking for bday lanterns 8/38, 8/41,
10/25, and 8/07
The biggest lie I tell myself is ”I don’t need to write that down, I’ll remember it.”
“People say nothing is impossible, but I do nothing everyday” -A.A. Milne
Now officially ICCC member #1995. Most likely the youngest member with a registered name.

You guessed it, Levi Tomey 
christianmoller

Leviticus_Tomethreus wrote: Sat Feb 13, 2021 5:24 pm
christianmoller wrote: Sat Feb 13, 2021 5:24 pm

/Christian
Good luck. Gonna be like $700 with shipping to Sweden. Hahaha
I know ,never going to happens..
Yes, the coleman nozzle(0,30mm should be around 0,20mm or 0,008") is worn so i took an old Primus 1051 nozzle i had and put it in and it works OK but i have ordered a new 220e and some mantles.
Rubing
Super Colemanaholic

Post by Rubing »

I picked up a model 150K last year, the generator would not pass air and the preheat cup was froze on the generator. To save time firing it up I installed a standard 220 generator, filled it with CF and installed Peerless mantles.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
ICCC # 1402
SteveRetherford
Super Colemanaholic

Greg's pic shows how the mica hangs off the shade spider .
Rubing
Super Colemanaholic

Post by Rubing »

From what I understand these lamps are correct with a mica chimney with a parchment shade or a 335 globe with a parchment shade.
ICCC # 1402
magikbus
Serious Colemanaholic

Post by magikbus »

We have a "chemical Gasoline" here in Canada called "Aspen". It's made from propane and has no toxic chemical in it like ordinary gasoline. It's available in Europe also. https://aspenfuel.co.uk/
Stan
I always take the road less traveled, now where the h3ll am I?
Vancouver Island Branch ccf #0
Gasman64
Super Colemanaholic
Title: Gaseous Maximus

Post by Gasman64 »

:cf_welcomejump: Christian, very nice things you have there! I like the truck in your avatar picture, too. You can share a better picture of that, if you wish; more than a few here would enjoy that.
Steve
ICCC #1012
South Eastern Pennsylvania
christianmoller

magikbus wrote: Sun Feb 14, 2021 2:51 am We have a "chemical Gasoline" here in Canada called "Aspen". It's made from propane and has no toxic chemical in it like ordinary gasoline. It's available in Europe also. https://aspenfuel.co.uk/
Stan
we have Aspen here also and i think it is the type i'm using just another brand.
Rubing wrote: Sun Feb 14, 2021 2:35 am From what I understand these lamps are correct with a mica chimney with a parchment shade or a 335 globe with a parchment shade.
thank you for the pics, is the mica and shade hanging "loose" on the pin?
i have an old mica from an old primus maybe that will work, it measures around 5x5" or 120x120mm.

Thank's
Christian
forum_ford.jpg
Last edited by christianmoller on Sun Feb 14, 2021 10:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
Pancholoco1911
Super Colemanaholic

Post by Pancholoco1911 »

Christian this mica chimney is what you need. It hangs from 3 hooks
~Pancho~

ICCC MEMBER #: 1993
christianmoller

Pancholoco1911 wrote: Sun Feb 14, 2021 9:27 am Christian this mica chimney is what you need. It hangs from 3 hooks
Thankyou, thats a very good picture :D
Is there a source for these mica(s)?
I also change the ford pic for a more up to date one from this morning -17 Celsius that is close to 0 F i think.
/Christian
Erwin
Colemanaholic

Post by Erwin »

Christian,
what you need is a parchment shade with an inner protection globe
a) mica globe with 3 hooks, or
b) glass globe with a 4-prong shade holder
plus a "finial" to slide the whole arrangement on the long pin of your lamp
http://www.eschaefer.de/hobbys/starkl/l ... 0_016.html
http://www.eschaefer.de/hobbys/starkl/l ... 59_10.html
My homepage: http://www.eschaefer.de
Pls. see navigation on HP for Collectors Maps.
christianmoller

Erwin wrote: Sun Feb 14, 2021 12:05 pm Christian,
what you need is a parchment shade with an inner protection globe
a) mica globe with 3 hooks, or
b) glass globe with a 4-prong shade holder
plus a "finial" to slide the whole arrangement on the long pin of your lamp
http://www.eschaefer.de/hobbys/starkl/l ... 0_016.html
http://www.eschaefer.de/hobbys/starkl/l ... 59_10.html
I have looking thru your pics, it's very nice in that clear vase too.

/Christian
Phredd
Serious Colemanaholic

Post by Phredd »

About the Aspen fuel. If it is made primarily for use as a substitute for regular unlead gasoline (RUG) I would hesitate to put it in a lantern until I learned a bit more. Questions like: What additives does it have to make it compatible with RUG? Does it containrust inhibitors (important for living in a damp southern state) or stabliizers? RUG works in most GPAs and so ASPEN fuel will do so as well. But if it is like RUG, it may decrease the life of a generator. And if it has not stabilizers or inhibitors it may go bad in lanterns that you don't use on a regular basis. With no additional data, I would use it any dual fuel GPA, but not in any GPA that has an expensive, hard to find, or clean, generator.

And does anyone know if ASPEN is available in the US. I would love to try it.

Kevin

Phredd
ICCC#1799
Coleman Quick Lite Crew #40
SteveRetherford
Super Colemanaholic

panel wipe is another product (fuel) i hear about over there ? not sure what it is either but apparently it burns ok . i do see panel wipe on amazon but its way to expensive for me to try .
Tgarner01
Super Colemanaholic

Post by Tgarner01 »

SteveRetherford wrote: Sun Feb 14, 2021 5:23 pm panel wipe is another product (fuel) i hear about over there ? not sure what it is either but apparently it burns ok . i do see panel wipe on amazon but its way to expensive for me to try .
Steve we used to use Naptha as a paint prep for wiping panels... Smells like white gas to me 😁 not sure if it has any other additives or not.
Toby Garner, from SW Missouri
ICCC #1939
magikbus
Serious Colemanaholic

Post by magikbus »

Phredd wrote: Sun Feb 14, 2021 5:05 pm About the Aspen fuel. If it is made primarily for use as a substitute for regular unlead gasoline (RUG) I would hesitate to put it in a lantern until I learned a bit more. Questions like: What additives does it have to make it compatible with RUG? Does it containrust inhibitors (important for living in a damp southern state) or stabliizers? RUG works in most GPAs and so ASPEN fuel will do so as well. But if it is like RUG, it may decrease the life of a generator. And if it has not stabilizers or inhibitors it may go bad in lanterns that you don't use on a regular basis. With no additional data, I would use it any dual fuel GPA, but not in any GPA that has an expensive, hard to find, or clean, generator.

And does anyone know if ASPEN is available in the US. I would love to try it.

Kevin
https://www.garden-kit.co.uk/products/a ... %20product.

This site from the UK should answer some questions. I know it's very clean burning and not at all like regular gasoline. Don't know if it's available in your area or not. Probably a couple of phone calls to bulk fuel suppliers should let you know.
Stan
I always take the road less traveled, now where the h3ll am I?
Vancouver Island Branch ccf #0
christianmoller

After looking at Erwin's nice pictures i took the valve body of and the little collar that sits just under.
There is two sheets of metal, one with all the stamping and one under that, what does it do?
Is it some sort of heat shield or?
Mine is very rusted so i have to make a new one.
Thank's
Christian
Hot_Diggity
Super Colemanaholic

Post by Hot_Diggity »

I remember that lamp Christian. I wondered where it went. Happy to see it has a good home in your collection.
Chuck, 3/61, ICCC 1689
Milspec Syndicate #510
Coleman 275 Appreciation Syndicate #0510
Coleman Quick Lite Crew #12
BernzOmatic Appreciation Club #510
Coleman Slant Saver #510
Frank Appreciation Syndicate Member #2
Tinker, Toy maker, Trash picker, Wickie, Lamp loon