Homemade 275 Reflector Photo Request

Post your tech questions here, lots of knowledge available.
Dremwolf

Homemade 275 Reflector Photo Request

Post by Dremwolf »

Anyone have photos of their homemade 275 reflectors? I have a sheet of highly polished stainless steel that I salvaged out of a computer monitor that I have thinking about trying to fashion a reflector out of. Looking at the Coleman reflector for the 275 I do not know if I could fashion the same type of bracket. So looking to see what others may have constructed.

Thanks in advance.
Ralph "Drem" Terreault, USAF Veteran, Help On The Homefront Rep, Patriot Guard Riders, Former Location Coordinator
Wreaths Across America, Jacksonville National Cemetery

275 Appreciation Syndicate Member #0328
Mil-Spec Ops #1988
1hpycmpr
Super Colemanaholic

Re: Homemade 275 Reflector Photo Request

Post by 1hpycmpr »

Here's one that is a pretty simple design. I used a piece of flat stock aluminum bar and bent it at a 90 degree. I made sure that no light escapes when looking at the back of the reflector. This one has a gap between the reflector and vent. They work much better if you get the reflector real close to the vent so when you look down from above, no light is visible. And I made sure it was low enough to when the lantern is hanging from above, no light is visible from under the reflector as well. Some folks have cut a piece so it fits between the globe and frame.

I use them more as light blockers than reflectors! :D
Mark
*Stargazer*
Hot_Diggity
Super Colemanaholic

Post by Hot_Diggity »

I have no examples in steel to offer for your specific model, but since the globe is larger at the top than the bottom you may be able to make something that attaches to the bail mounts on the underside of the vent. I going to assume that it's fairly thin material. Maybe something like this? I used a 15" x 6" piece of paper to cut this out. Would probably benefit from a couple more tabs at the back of the curve that rested on the top of the globe. I bent the end pieces around the front of the bail brackets.

Ferengi or French Foreign Legion?
275 reflector.jpg
275 reflector flat.jpg
Better yet, you could rivet on single strap in the back that went all the way to the burner stud hole to secure the reflector from inside. Still zero modifications made to the lantern itself, and no damage to the external finish from anything touching it.

If the material is nice and thin you might be able to attach it inside the globe to the vertical frame supports. Still no mods to the lantern.

Stainless steel is wicked stuff to work with, but it's my preferred material. I bear the scars of many years of fabrication in stainless.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Chuck, 3/61, ICCC 1689
Milspec Syndicate #510
Coleman 275 Appreciation Syndicate #0510
Coleman Quick Lite Crew #12
BernzOmatic Appreciation Club #510
Coleman Slant Saver #510
Frank Appreciation Syndicate Member #2
Tinker, Toy maker, Trash picker, Wickie, Lamp loon
campinut
Super Colemanaholic

Post by campinut »

Here's one I found! The smell of hot coffee on every lightip..🤣😲🤪..campinut

Like a moth at night, I am attracted to the light!..7/7/1964...Russ, from Missouri..
BrianBo

Post by BrianBo »

This is a universal, “one size fits most” that I made from a smaller cable spool and some aluminum flashing.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
zoomkat
Super Colemanaholic

Post by zoomkat »

The 275's tapered globe makes it somewhat unique, but you might make a simple light weight "hook and hang" reflector out of a polished aluminum drink can similar to the below.
Gunhippie
Super Colemanaholic

Post by Gunhippie »

Mine's a simple cut-out from a dented beer keg:

Like most above, the support only attaches to the vent stud.

I've used an even simpler piece of aluminum foil inside the vent many time, too.

I have a Coleman reflector for a 242. It looks cool with the handle and all, but try carrying the lantern by the handle for 15 minutes and you'll realize how useless it is. Completely out of balance. The 220/228 sized ones must be much worse.
It's priceless until someone puts a price on it.
Walk a mile in a man's shoes before you criticize him--then you're a mile away, and he has no shoes.
Texan's last words: "Y'all--hold my beer--I wanta' try sumptin'."
Timm--Middle of nowhere, near the end of the road, Oregon.
Dremwolf

Post by Dremwolf »

Gunhippie wrote: Mon Feb 15, 2021 3:40 am

I have a Coleman reflector for a 242. It looks cool with the handle and all, but try carrying the lantern by the handle for 15 minutes and you'll realize how useless it is. Completely out of balance. The 220/228 sized ones must be much worse.
No idea how much the 242 weighs but I sure know I would not dream of carrying the 275 around that way.
Ralph "Drem" Terreault, USAF Veteran, Help On The Homefront Rep, Patriot Guard Riders, Former Location Coordinator
Wreaths Across America, Jacksonville National Cemetery

275 Appreciation Syndicate Member #0328
Mil-Spec Ops #1988
LongDuck

I added Coleman reflectors and handles to my classics.

Post by LongDuck »

As mentioned above, the heavier 220 is unwieldy with a handle attached, but the 200a is just about perfect for a quick walk to the mailbox after dark as long as you rotate the handle to horizontal instead of vertical. With a horizontal handle, you can carry it much more comfortably, and the weight and position even helps to can't it slightly forward to illuminate the sidewalk.

On both factory versions, you can remove the handles with 2 screws and still make use of their highly effective reflectors,
Birthday 200A & 6/83 Last of the 220K's