CQ Issues

Post your tech questions here, lots of knowledge available.
Leviticus_Tomethreus
Super Colemanaholic

CQ Issues

Post by Leviticus_Tomethreus »

Hey all! Sad day. My CQ has been out of operation for a while. Put Toby through enough trying to get it working again (His tricks didn’t work) so I’ve come you the forum for help. It’s running super lean. Super. Fuel cap seals good, fuel tube is clear, genny is just fine, fuel is fresh crown. I can’t figure out what’s going on. Pumping has zero affect in flame size. Anybody know what’s going on?
My friends don’t call me “Lantern/lampie Levi” for nothin’,if they did call me that.
Looking for bday lanterns 8/38, 8/41,
10/25, and 8/07
The biggest lie I tell myself is ”I don’t need to write that down, I’ll remember it.”
“People say nothing is impossible, but I do nothing everyday” -A.A. Milne
Now officially ICCC member #1995. Most likely the youngest member with a registered name.

You guessed it, Levi Tomey 
rob_pontius
Super Colemanaholic

Re: CQ Issues

Post by rob_pontius »

What generator are you running? If you're running an R55, make sure that the pricker wire is completely pulling out of the tip when you bring the cleaner lever down. It sounds like you have a restriction somewhere. How about maybe a small chunk of something stuck in the valve body itself, not letting enough fuel pass through the valve?
Rob
Leviticus_Tomethreus
Super Colemanaholic

Was the genny tip it looks like. Hmm. Lol. Now my G has a leaky valve. Ugh!!
My friends don’t call me “Lantern/lampie Levi” for nothin’,if they did call me that.
10/25, and 8/07
The biggest lie I tell myself is ”I don’t need to write that down, I’ll remember it.”
Now officially ICCC member #1995. Most likely the youngest member with a registered name.

surffisher60

Post by surffisher60 »

don't some need a washer under the plate ? might be restricting air flow.

bob
Leviticus_Tomethreus
Super Colemanaholic

surffisher60 wrote: Sun Feb 14, 2021 7:39 pm don't some need a washer under the plate ? might be restricting air flow.

bob
What washer under what plate?
10/25, and 8/07

mgmlvks
Super Colemanaholic

Post by mgmlvks »

Some of the newer R55 are backwards on the spinner. Make sure with young eyes or a magnifying glass which is right and if the tip cleaner is still working .

Next easy steps is some compressed air through the valve and into the fount
Mike, ICCC member #1156, Slant Saver Group #011, 275 Appreciation Syndicate #0215, FAS #20 - Confusing Future Generations of Collectors One Lantern at a Time
"In order for the light to shine so brightly, the darkness must be present"Francis Bacon
(and - for those who have asked - avatar from postcard and says "Coming Home by Rail".  https://c1.staticflickr.com/5/4595/2743 ... be00_z.jpg  
Leviticus_Tomethreus
Super Colemanaholic

mgmlvks wrote: Sun Feb 14, 2021 7:42 pm Some of the newer R55 are backwards on the spinner. Make sure with young eyes or a magnifying glass which is right and if the tip cleaner is still working .

Next easy steps is some compressed air through the valve and into the fount
Valve is fine! Q77. Pricked the genny and it spray fuel. My pricking while it was off just seemed to do nothing...
10/25, and 8/07

hikerduane
Super Colemanaholic

Post by hikerduane »

Try restricting air, poke a finger around the opening of the air tube. A couple of my lamps don't like a lot of air.
Duane
Duane-All seasons, year round backpacker and camper.  So many stoves and lanterns, who's counting.
Hot_Diggity
Super Colemanaholic

Post by Hot_Diggity »

I'm thinking along the same path as Duane. You could be barking up the wrong tree. Sounds like you have the fuel system covered, but you didn't mention if you had run a brush through 100% of the air side of the system. Could be that the symptoms you see as lean are in fact rich, but are masked by lack of air.

And how do you know the generator is good? Did you run it on something else?
Chuck, 3/61, ICCC 1689
Milspec Syndicate #510
Coleman 275 Appreciation Syndicate #0510
Coleman Quick Lite Crew #12
BernzOmatic Appreciation Club #510
Coleman Slant Saver #510
Frank Appreciation Syndicate Member #2
Tinker, Toy maker, Trash picker, Wickie, Lamp loon
MYN927
Serious Colemanaholic

Post by MYN927 »

If you could post a picture of the CQ running with the usual pressure, without the mantles, we'd see how lean that really is.
Did you check that its not picking up some air in the fuel pickup tube? That might make it appear lean, perhaps with a little pulsing as well.
Leviticus_Tomethreus
Super Colemanaholic

Yeah. Tubes are cleaner. Ran the genny in something else. Lamp runs now. There black spots on the mantle. That’s the new issue.
10/25, and 8/07

Hot_Diggity
Super Colemanaholic

Post by Hot_Diggity »

I get black spot with kerosene, but have never seen it with Crown Fuel. Let it run for an hour and see if the spots get
smaller. They should burn off if all is in tune.

Did you find some webs or nests in the air tubes? I have one that I blew out with 150PSI of shop air, and when I took the burner off you couldn't see light through all the mesh of webs and nests. The air did little if anything to disturb them. Fuzzed end of a small cable is what I use now. Leaves the tubes nice and clean.
Chuck, 3/61, ICCC 1689
Milspec Syndicate #510
Coleman Slant Saver #510
Leviticus_Tomethreus
Super Colemanaholic

Hot_Diggity wrote: Mon Feb 15, 2021 3:38 pm I get black spot with kerosene, but have never seen it with Crown Fuel. Let it run for an hour and see if the spots get
smaller. They should burn off if all is in tune.

Did you find some webs or nests in the air tubes? I have one that I blew out with 150PSI of shop air, and when I took the burner off you couldn't see light through all the mesh of webs and nests. The air did little if anything to disturb them. Fuzzed end of a small cable is what I use now. Leaves the tubes nice and clean.
Yeah I brushed through them. Had it lit two hours yesterday and the black spots never changed.
10/25, and 8/07

Hot_Diggity
Super Colemanaholic

Post by Hot_Diggity »

Leviticus_Tomethreus wrote: Mon Feb 15, 2021 3:43 pm

Had it lit two hours yesterday and the black spots never changed.
It burns bright? Sounds normal? Black spots aren't getting bigger? If they're staying the same size you could try hitting them with a pencil torch and see if that burns them off. Could just be something had gotten on the mantles and they're contaminated. Is it on both mantles? Might still be running rich. Worn generator tip?

Pictures sure would help Levi, and would save a lot of questions. This is how my kerosene spots looked.
Black spot.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Chuck, 3/61, ICCC 1689
Milspec Syndicate #510
Coleman Slant Saver #510
Leviticus_Tomethreus
Super Colemanaholic

Hot_Diggity wrote: Mon Feb 15, 2021 3:59 pm

It burns bright? Sounds normal? Black spots aren't getting bigger? If they're staying the same size you could try hitting them with a pencil torch and see if that burns them off. Could just be something had gotten on the mantles and they're contaminated. Is it on both mantles? Might still be running rich. Worn generator tip?

Pictures sure would help Levi, and would save a lot of questions. This is how my kerosene spots looked.

Black spot.jpg
Was never rich. Black spots in three different pairs of mantles.
10/25, and 8/07

Hot_Diggity
Super Colemanaholic

Post by Hot_Diggity »

Did you try Duane's trick with partially blocking the air tube?
Chuck, 3/61, ICCC 1689
Milspec Syndicate #510
Coleman Slant Saver #510
Leviticus_Tomethreus
Super Colemanaholic

Hot_Diggity wrote: Mon Feb 15, 2021 4:39 pm Did you try Duane's trick with partially blocking the air tube?
No. How would I block it long enough to affect it?
10/25, and 8/07

hikerduane
Super Colemanaholic

Post by hikerduane »

Leviticus_Tomethreus wrote: Mon Feb 15, 2021 4:43 pm
Hot_Diggity wrote: Mon Feb 15, 2021 4:39 pm Did you try Duane's trick with partially blocking the air tube?
No. How would I block it long enough to affect it?
Poke a pinkie up the air tube, only need to partially block flow, nearly instant results. The couple I had to do that to ran a whole lot brighter. Used some rolled up foil or metal sheeting after I tried a finger.
Duane
Duane-All seasons, year round backpacker and camper.  So many stoves and lanterns, who's counting.
Tgarner01
Super Colemanaholic

Post by Tgarner01 »

Black spot.jpg
Here's Levi's photos he's too lazy to load...

Toby Garner, from SW Missouri
ICCC #1939
Whitegas Extraordinaire
Super Colemanaholic

Post by Whitegas Extraordinaire »

Tgarner01 wrote: Mon Feb 15, 2021 6:20 pm

Black spot.jpg

Mantles aren't terribly full / puffed out?

Pretty old generator too.

Thank you!
Kevin

I may frighten easily!
My current shade is Coleman!!
To me a lamp without a shade is creepy!

ICCC # 1865

Leviticus_Tomethreus
Super Colemanaholic

Whitegas Extraordinaire wrote: Mon Feb 15, 2021 6:43 pm

Black spot.jpg

What do you mean generator is old? Insides look brand new!
10/25, and 8/07

Whitegas Extraordinaire
Super Colemanaholic

Post by Whitegas Extraordinaire »

Leviticus_Tomethreus wrote: Mon Feb 15, 2021 6:45 pm

Black spot.jpg

Even when I am not polishing like jewelry they look a tad cleaner?
Doesn't look like a full fettle too.
When was the last time a 77 or that style nut was made? Thinking before Murff was born!

Thank you!
Kevin

I may frighten easily!
My current shade is Coleman!!
To me a lamp without a shade is creepy!

ICCC # 1865

Leviticus_Tomethreus
Super Colemanaholic

Whitegas Extraordinaire wrote: Mon Feb 15, 2021 6:54 pm
Leviticus_Tomethreus wrote: Mon Feb 15, 2021 6:45 pm

Black spot.jpg

Even when I am not polishing like jewelry they look a tad cleaner?
Doesn't look like a full fettle too.
When was the last time a 77 or that style nut was made? Thinking before Murff was born!
It works just fine in my 327. The Q99 in my 327 was also tried in this and nothing changed.
10/25, and 8/07

Pancholoco1911
Super Colemanaholic

Post by Pancholoco1911 »

Levi get a new generator and post again after the change from old to new. That jet could be worn
~Pancho~

ICCC MEMBER #: 1993
Leviticus_Tomethreus
Super Colemanaholic

I switched gennys with my 327. Q77 runs just fine in the 327. Q99 runs slightly dimmer in the CQ.
10/25, and 8/07

SteveRetherford
Super Colemanaholic

Post by SteveRetherford »

sometimes after a good cleaning , when you fire it up the inside of the burner tubes gets "scale" that fall off n partialy block the burner screens resulting in similar looking mantles ....
[DrSteve2]    Steve , Keeper of the Light !!!